Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
I love it. Toronto tried to bluff by holding on to Dell before the season started, while all these other goalies got claimed. Then they tried to sneak him through. I totally think now that Fitzgerald claimed Comrie as a smokescreen in hopes that Toronto would try to sneak him through later on. If so, that's brilliant. Now Comrie can be put back on waivers and go back to Winnipeg's taxi squad.

Reactions: Guadana

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
gotta trade Butcher away
If it is 100% certain nobody gets injured ever.... then yes I would trade him . But injuries , someone struggling , or something will for sure come up and Butcher is a very good replacement player.
However , if there is a trade out there for him where the Devils get an over-payment , Id pull the trigger for sure as we have 2 or more replacement level D in Tennyson Carrick ( spelling ?)

For example , if we got a legit top 6 young sniper , id be all over it . Butcher and maybe Palms for a good shot first top 6 winger...

Reactions: Nubmer6

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I love it. Toronto try to bluff my holding on to Dell before the season started, while all these other goalies got claimed. Then they tried to sneak him through. I totally think now that Fitzgerald claimed Comrie as a smokescreen in hopes that Toronto would try to sneak him through later on. If so, that's brilliant. Now Comrie can be put back on waivers and go back to Winnipeg's taxi squad.

I think they claimed Comrie because they needed a third goalie. Obviously once Dell hit they could waive him.

Reactions: HBK27

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think they claimed Comrie because they needed a third goalie. Obviously once Dell hit they could waive him.
I'd still try to waive Wedgewood first and hope he gets through to mentor Senn as was our original plan seemed to be before the retirement and forced 3rd goalie.

Reactions: My3Sons

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
If it is 100% certain nobody gets injured ever.... then yes I would trade him . But injuries , someone struggling , or something will for sure come up and Butcher is a very good replacement player.
However , if there is a trade out there for him where the Devils get an over-payment , Id pull the trigger for sure as we have 2 or more replacement level D in Tennyson Carrick ( spelling ?)

For example , if we got a legit top 6 young sniper , id be all over it . Butcher and maybe Palms for a good shot first top 6 winger...
nothings 100% but we'll have 9 D-men signed when Vats is here, Butcher is worth something on the market, and yeah in a package can maybe bring us something "nice"

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
nothings 100% but we'll have 9 D-men signed when Vats is here, Butcher is worth something on the market, and yeah in a package can maybe bring us something "nice"
I can definitely see him being a fit in Boston. They're desperate for LHD. Question is what they'd give up and if we'd want to trade in the same division.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Dell>Wedge, Comrie, and Senn. Keep Dell as backup, Wedge as taxi and try and slip Comrie through to Bing.
I don't think Comrie would slip. Winnipeg can reclaim him and pass him down to the minors without waivers if we waive him. I'd keep him up as our mandatory 3rd and let Wedge do the mentoring.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I can definitely see him being a fit in Boston. They're desperate for LHD. Question is what they'd give up and if we'd want to trade in the same division.
Is a 2nd round pick asking for too much?

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Is a 2nd round pick asking for too much?

For Butcher? Of course.

Butcher has negative value given his contract.

Guy makes 3.7M for the next 2 years and is a healthy scratch on New Jersey Devils.

We'd literally have to take a bad contract in exchange. To be honest, I'd just keep status quo given that we have Murray and Vatanen here (and Tennyson/Kulikov are #7s).

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Only reason to trade Butcher now is you think he'll lose even more value this season and to get out of his cap hit next year. If you think he's not even one of the 7 best dmen on this team (likely Ruff thinks this with Vatanen being signed in camp and Butcher not being in the top 6) it's very possible this happens.

Happy they claimed Dell, Blackwood needs days off and Dell has shown himself to be decent as a backup with flashes of great play. Wedgewood/Comrie were questionmarks.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Edmonton would probably take Wedgewood if he were waived as they're in desperate need of a backup goalie with Smith on LTIR. I'm a bit surprised they didn't trade a 7th rounder for Dell, though maybe they don't want to have to give up anything of value given they'd probably have to waive him once Smith is healthy again as they're pretty close to the cap.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and hidek91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad