Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I have a hard time seeing them miss the playoffs. Even if Pitt has a good season and the Flyers have an excellent season, the Isles are mediocre enough that Boston can beat them out for a spot.

Pasta is going to come back and that will help their scoring issues. Their D is going to be an issue, but they have a really good goalie tandem that should see them to the playoffs.
Part of my prediction was due to the condensed schedule. IMO an older, top heavy team like Boston will struggle. They are going to be relying on lines centered by a 34 and 35 year old. My guess is this season will favor younger teams. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I said before the season that I thought Boston could finish near the bottom of the division. I did not see anything in the first 2 games to change my mind.
Without any new injures I think that’s a kind of a kooky prediction. Boston had 100 points last year, they can regress and still make the playoffs at the same time. They’re a defensive machine that have a lot elite talent with superb special teams. I think Boston and Philly are the strongest teams in the division. Who can say what will happen with this weirdo schedule after such an enormous break, it’s a unique season.

Speaking of division predictions, thanks to strong start the Devils have risen from basement in Dom L.’s SC Playoff Chances & Projected Standing. Yep, we’re now ever so slightly predicted to come in 7th with 54 points and our playoff chances have kicked into the double digits baby! They’re 11%.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Severson is really strange. The stats clearly show he's a good defenseman. But he just does not pass the eye test, his mistakes are usually so glaring and sometimes, spectacular.

Hopefully this is the season he really grows into the role and proves he is a solid #2.
I've been saying since his rookie year that he's a decent defenseman but, for whatever reason, when he makes a mistake, it tends to be glaring.

Reactions: Blender

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Severson is really strange. The stats clearly show he's a good defenseman. But he just does not pass the eye test, his mistakes are usually so glaring and sometimes, spectacular.

Hopefully this is the season he really grows into the role and proves he is a solid #2.

I'd say it's that because his gaffes can often be pretty big that those are just more memorable, and it's easy to remember those rather than the rest of his game which is generally good. Severson is what he is, he's a great 2nd pairing defenseman that's often had to play above his role due to the rest of the defense core being shit.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
yeah no one is denying his offensive abilities, and maybe under Ruff he'll be a consistent defender as well, after all, all our D looked bad the last few years
Both games he still made some really bad unforced errors though, so I'm not confident he will ever clean that up in his game, and it's what will hold him back from being an elite defender.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
My feeling is that he has the puck on his stick a lot, so it seems like he makes more mistakes than normal
I wouldn't say it's a quantity issue though, it's where he makes them and the type of mistakes he makes, and not just with the puck. The two worst things he's known for I'd say are giveaways at the bluelines causing an odd man rush against us, and puck watching in the defensive zone.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'd say it's that because his gaffes can often be pretty big that those are just more memorable, and it's easy to remember those rather than the rest of his game which is generally good. Severson is what he is, he's a great 2nd pairing defenseman that's often had to play above his role due to the rest of the defense core being shit.

Strangely, that was Wheeler's take on Mukhamadulin in the Athletic.

I think this is a common theme with defensemen who play like he does, is that those moments stick with you. And then when you’re at the end of the game, you remember the one or two plays that were really ugly and you think, “OK, this kid sucks. He looks terrible.”

If Shakir turns out to be another Severson, I'd be rather happy, I think.

Reactions: Blender

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

That hasn't been the case in my eyes these first two games.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
That hasn't been the case in my eyes these first two games.

He was out of position and puck watching on the Boston no goal right?

But I agree, he was very solid in both games. I meant to say "in the past, he hasn't passed the eye test"...

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Severson has been very good thus far and gets way too much crap for what he brings every year. Clear top 4 guy, who is arguably a solid #2.

He makes errors and vividness bias kills him but he’s really a far more productive player than the masses realize

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Without any new injures I think that’s a kind of a kooky prediction. Boston had 100 points last year, they can regress and still make the playoffs at the same time. They’re a defensive machine that have a lot elite talent with superb special teams. I think Boston and Philly are the strongest teams in the division. Who can say what will happen with this weirdo schedule after such an enormous break, it’s a unique season.

Speaking of division predictions, thanks to strong start the Devils have risen from basement in Dom L.’s SC Playoff Chances & Projected Standing. Yep, we’re now ever so slightly predicted to come in 7th with 54 points and our playoff chances have kicked into the double digits baby! They’re 11%.
In a short season, with a condensed schedule, IMO there are no "kooky" prediction. It is easy to just keep predicting what just happend in the immediate past will continue to happen. I make my living investing in the markets - 95% of the people fail. I like being "kooky".

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Holy crap that Kovy highlight package was nuts. I've never seen someone be able to beat a goalie so clean other than maybe Ovi or Laine. Unreal release.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeedsMonster

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Severson’s stats through the years tell a story, let’s just say it’s been a journey. He had a promising start but then he had a very rough season in 2016-17. Then he develops as player but it’s not been a smooth upward progression.

His advanced stats in 2017-18 show big numbers in ES offense but it’s real ugly in terms of ES defense. In 2018-19, his ES offensive goes down as his ES defense started to look almost respectable. And then, in 2019-20 his numbers flipped and he put up shocking excellent ES defense but ES offense drooped further into average at best.

So it’s not like Severson has secretly been putting up boffo advanced stats in ES defense for years and you just happen to miss it.

Players do focus different aspects of the game at times. When Severson came onto the scene we had several solid defensive-minded guys and no one really other than Moore was providing offense. Damon was a puck-moving defensemen and he was aggressive in order to create offense, for better or for worse.

By last season there were just about no defensive-minded defenders left when Greene wasn’t here. Mueller was no longer effective (and, yes, he had been somewhat effective defensively before), Subban is an ES offensive guy and no other replacements were really brought in. Maybe Severson needed to mature as a player. Maybe he actually works better with more defensive responsibilities with an occasional pinch. Hard to say but he improved.

I do think some critics here beat up the present day Severson for the more mistake-prone player he was years ago. It’s like holding what a young adult did years earlier as teen against him. He got better, LEAVE DAMON ALONE.
F2A0ECF6-A0CC-4FFF-B943-54BCFAD59CE4.jpeg C93E22A3-EF02-4D6F-9A5C-1348EB742ADB.jpeg 0793E3D3-C0EF-453E-BC2D-8E218753E6F9.png

Last edited:

dinosaur33

Jul 5, 2009
I think Severson takes heat cause his mistakes are usually soft - like a stick check that fails or a pass in the skates. People forgive more physical D more even though it usually doesn't matter. And this is from someone who hopes to never see Severson on the PK again.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
In a short season, with a condensed schedule, IMO there are no "kooky" prediction. It is easy to just keep predicting what just happend in the immediate past will continue to happen. I make my living investing in the markets - 95% of the people fail. I like being "kooky".
That’s cool, I’m confident without major new injuries they’ll make the playoffs but we’ll see how your prediction of Boston in the basement of the division goes then.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I do think some critics here beat up the present day Severson for the more mistake-prone player he was years ago. It’s like holding what a young adult did years earlier as teen against him. He got better, LEAVE DAMON ALONE.
View attachment 385267 View attachment 385268 View attachment 385269
He made some gaffs last year and the year before (as well as his earlier seasons)
but its not the end of the world pointing out players weaknesses, Miles Wood takes too many penalties, it's just a fact, Palms doesnt backcheck 100% of the time, with todays game there's a lot of parity in the league, so the teams that make the most mistakes usually lose. Part of our success in the 90's was hanging back and waiting for the other teams to make mistakes. People shouldnt take it personally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad