Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
Waive one of Wedgewood or Comrie tomorrow after he is claimed. If they pass then send him to Bing.

Blackwood and Dell become our 1-2 and one of Wedge and Comrie on the taxi.
Couldn't agree with this more. When you have the extra cap space, why not keep trying to find the right fit. Dell is a much more reliable backup and spot starter than Wedgewood and even more so than Comrie. Use the cap space. Waive Comrie and send him to the minors.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
is waivers in the reverse order of the standings right now? or still from last year...cuz Dell may not even make it to us
Last year until February 1st.

Detroit Greiss Bernier Boyle (cleared) Pickard (cleared)
Ottawa Murray Hogberg Daccord (exempt)
San Jose Jones Dubnyk Melnichuk (exempt)
Los Angeles Quick Petersen Ingham (exempt)
Anaheim Gibson Miller Stolarz (cleared)
Buffalo Hutton Ullmark Johansson (exempt)

Reactions: Guttersniped

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I despise the comparisons to Kovalchuk. Kovy was a freak of nature. The offensive talent, size, toolset of shots, hands and motor combo was absolutely absurd. He was one of the best players in modern NHL history in terms of raw talent. He also could have been one of the best overall in history if he put in effort to his defensive game early in his career in Atlanta.

Don’t get me wrong, I love what I am seeing out of Sharangovich but I would guess if he didn’t wear #17 there wouldn’t be these comparisons.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I despise the comparisons to Kovalchuk. Kovy was a freak of nature. The offensive talent, size, toolset of shots, hands and motor combo was absolutely absurd. He was one of the best players in modern NHL history in terms of raw talent.

Don’t get me wrong, I love what I am seeing out of Sharangovich but I would guess if he didn’t wear #17 there wouldn’t be these comparisons.

Speaking of 17's though, for a middle-round pick I'd be more than happy with something like peak Sykora tbh.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Kovy was absurd. What a player he was.

Dare I say the most electrifying talent we've ever had?

That’s why I personally will never hate him, no matter what happened the UFA summer or how it ended. His run under Lemaire to me was more impressive than Hall’s Hart year and he was awesome that run.

Capfriendly has NJD at 45 contracts and they can carry as many goalies as they want, so get Dell. If he plays well, handshake a deal until after the expansion draft. He could be the place holder for Senn or whoever or be that reliable backup the team needs.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I despise the comparisons to Kovalchuk. Kovy was a freak of nature. The offensive talent, size, toolset of shots, hands and motor combo was absolutely absurd. He was one of the best players in modern NHL history in terms of raw talent. He also could have been one of the best overall in history if he put in effort to his defensive game early in his career in Atlanta.

You realize the comparisons are because Sharangovich tucks his jersey the way Kovy did. It's giving me deja vu watching him on the ice.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I despise the comparisons to Kovalchuk. Kovy was a freak of nature. The offensive talent, size, toolset of shots, hands and motor combo was absolutely absurd. He was one of the best players in modern NHL history in terms of raw talent.

i missed most of the second game, but in the first one there were definitely a few kovalchuk-esque rushes with the puck.

nobody's saying he has kovalchuk's elite skills, but from the limited amount i've seen, he plays a similar style.

if he ends up having only a fraction of kovy's offensive talent, and i think he will, we're in for a treat

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

The angles are similar, maybe at 9:34 or 4:40 in the video? That's the one I can remember lol

IMO, Kovys most important goal as a Devil was game 2 against the Rags. Hank was DOMINATING and the Rags defense was shutting everything down. Devils were holding their sticks tight the entire time and it took a perfect shot from Kovy to beat Hank. That goal opened up the team and they played more loose and confident the rest of the way. That series was looking really bleak up until that goal.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Waive one of Wedgewood or Comrie tomorrow after he is claimed. If they pass then send him to Bing.

Blackwood and Dell become our 1-2 and one of Wedge and Comrie on the taxi.
They have to be waived to be put on the taxi squad.

I would waive both and hope at least one passes. If both pass, you have Wedge on the taxi, Cormier and Sean in Bing, and the other Cormier in the ECHL.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Is it confirmed that we have no fans at home games all season or it could change?
HIGHLY doubt any fans will be at Devil games this season. But I haven’t seen a confirmation from my season ticket rep, they keep saying they will look at the situation as the season progresses.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Claim Dell?

Goalie people’s thoughts?
I’d claim Dell. While the team obviously has had a chance evaluate Wedgewood up-close, the idea he’ll be anything but a very below average NHL goalie is wishful thinking. Wedge hasn’t played a NHL game since the 20117-18 season for a reason, he’s not even a good 3rd goalie for this unique season.

Comrie is a more intriguing 3rd goalie since he’s still a 25 year old prospect but if we waive him the Jets will take him back and put him on their taxi squad. He’s only played few NHL games and it didn’t go great, the odds of him sticking on our roster year aren’t great.

Someone else could claim Dell though, I’ll be surprised if gets through waivers. It’s amusing to see how quickly the “we’ll just carry three goalies on our roster to keep them all” blew up, I’m curious how long Arizona carry three netminders.

Of the pile of random goalies we have, maybe Senn or even Comrie could be OK, but again this is wishful thinking. There’s nothing much to base this on, Senn was a rookie last year. And I want desperately to avoid a single Wedgewood NHL if possible.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sending out the batsignal to @Bleedred
I think he’s definitely worth claiming, but how long would we have to wait to get him on the roster? He’s better than Wedgewood and Comrie for sure, but he’s also very small and sometimes pucks that hit average size goalies seem to miss him.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad