Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
HIGHLY doubt any fans will be at Devil games this season. But I haven’t seen a confirmation from my season ticket rep, they keep saying they will look at the situation as the season progresses.

I think they will allow a couple of thousand near the end of the season

Frozen Lake

Nov 20, 2020
Claim Spezza and then trade him back to Toronto for a late pick.. after claiming Dell obviously! I believe you can claim twice in a day if you go by order, correct?

no reason they should be free to Waive him for cap space, and then act like its insulting that another team may want a free asset out of it like Toronto does (ive seen comments saying itd be disrespectful to claim him since he wants to stay)

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
All right, finally back to some Devils hockey. Seems like the last time I got to watch a game was an eternity ago. Have even gotten myself on the ice a few times. Taking points from Boston in the first two games of the season is a great way to start. Really liked what I saw from the team. Don't know where to start. Zacha looked a lot more poised with the puck than before, but he's fooled me for years. Wood was doing his thing being a total shit disturber, I liked that. Everyone liked that. Sharangovich got a goal and he really deserved that. Severson seemed like the Severson we saw in his rookie year with that aggression in his game. Murray and Kulikov were great; barely even noticed them on the ice. Smith fumbled with the puck a couple of times, but he looks really good. Hughes was dare I say almost dominant with possession based on the eye test. Blackwood was great.

It's only two games so I will temper my expectations but I can't wait for more.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I despise the comparisons to Kovalchuk. Kovy was a freak of nature. The offensive talent, size, toolset of shots, hands and motor combo was absolutely absurd. He was one of the best players in modern NHL history in terms of raw talent. He also could have been one of the best overall in history if he put in effort to his defensive game early in his career in Atlanta.

Don’t get me wrong, I love what I am seeing out of Sharangovich but I would guess if he didn’t wear #17 there wouldn’t be these comparisons.
Who compared them?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Dare you? He obviously was. It's not even close.
Whole heartedly agree. Only player I recall that made you get out of your seat when he took the puck with speed from our own end. Yeah, MVP Hall was great, Parise in his peak, etc but Kovalchuk to me was worth the price of admission individually. Loved his game.
Rango looks like a keeper
Govy>Rango

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Claim Spezza and then trade him back to Toronto for a late pick.. after claiming Dell obviously! I believe you can claim twice in a day if you go by order, correct?

no reason they should be free to Waive him for cap space, and then act like its insulting that another team may want a free asset out of it like Toronto does (ive seen comments saying itd be disrespectful to claim him since he wants to stay)
His agent says he will retire if he gets claimed then the team claiming him would be on the hook for his cap hit

Reactions: RyGuy

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Waive one of Wedgewood or Comrie tomorrow after he is claimed. If they pass then send him to Bing.

Blackwood and Dell become our 1-2 and one of Wedge and Comrie on the taxi.
I would claim Dell and waive both Wedgewood and Comrie.

If they both pass, Comrie to AHL to play with Senn. Wedgewood to taxi squad.

If we lose them, no big deal as I think Dell is an upgrade at backup.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I would claim Dell and waive both Wedgewood and Comrie.

If they both pass, Comrie to AHL to play with Senn. Wedgewood to taxi squad.

If we lose them, no big deal as I think Dell is an upgrade at backup.

Im not a huge fan of waiving both unless they are comfortable with Senn being the taxi squad guy. Remember we are one night out away from losing a guys for a week or two.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
One thing I wonder about with Sharangovich is what kind of development he had growing up - I don't think Belarus quite has the hockey culture of Russia, and indeed Sharangovich is the first Belorussian player to score an NHL goal in 5 years.
Under EASTERN EUROPE, you can read a Belarusian prospect thread.

On page 2 there’s a debate on prospects playing the into the CHL to advance in NA vs staying in the Belarus juniors program. Belarusians are foreign players on every KHL team other than Dynamo Minsk so there isn’t the obvious advantage to staying home like there is for Russian players. (Garvus, the Devils 2012 6th rounder, gets mentioned at times in the thread btw.)

Sharangovich is mentioned on page 2 because drafted in USHL (he didn’t go). They were surprised he wasn’t drafted in 2017 NHL draft but only one Belarusian player was taken.

“First of all, I think Sharangovich is pretty delusional if he thinks he can make NHL whichever league he chooses. But imo somehow becoming impact player for a KHL team is his best chance of getting noticed by the NHL GM's.”
From June 2017. As amusing as the delusional part is, he was right about the KHL strategy because that’s what likely got him drafted as a double over-ager.

“Well, I have a higher opinion on Sharangovich but I may be subjective. He did some nice plays on the World Championship, smart enough for the player of his age.” A post in response to that.
Rango, yep I’m going with that, was the 1C for his WC U20 team.

Our boy doesn’t make another appearance until page 5 when the same two posters mildly debate Sharangovich during the 2018 draft. Two players from Belarus were drafted that year, Nashville also picked Yeryomenko in the 5th round.

“I'll give you Yeryomenko. Sapego is a decent wildcard, but in my eyes Sharangovich simply isnt an NHL material despite his somewhat superior ceiling.” This is the negative guy, but the “superior ceiling” part was the most pleasing bit of all when I read this before the season started.

The capper is the surprise appearance of our 3rd Belarusian draft pick on the last page, Danii Misyul. I guess some Belarusian parents get their kids Russian passports in hopes of getting into Russian juniors/KHL programs. In Misyul’s case he even plays for team Russia while his brother for team Belarus.

It clear to me why they do that, in terms of opportunity, but I guess when confronted on “betraying” their national team they blame their Russian KHL organizations for forcing them to play for team Russia. A poster who rips that cover story at length, but the whole process is sort an interesting Eastern European spin on hockey parenting.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They have to be waived to be put on the taxi squad.

I would waive both and hope at least one passes. If both pass, you have Wedge on the taxi, Cormier and Sean in Bing, and the other Cormier in the ECHL.
I’m pretty confident Wedgewood would make it through wavers but Comrie would be going to Winnipeg’s taxi squad if we waived him.

Reactions: Nubmer6

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Whole heartedly agree. Only player I recall that made you get out of your seat when he took the puck with speed from our own end. Yeah, MVP Hall was great, Parise in his peak, etc but Kovalchuk to me was worth the price of admission individually. Loved his game.
Govy>Rango
Lol

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
That doesn't count, silly goose.

4u71yn.jpg

Reactions: Billdo

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I’m just so amped to see young players doing the little things that signal pride and no shortcuts. It makes the slick moves and creative plays worth it and genuinely feels like a group that’s learning how to win.

It’s still early but haven’t been this pleased in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad