Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
A majority of his mistakes are blown coverages. Doesn’t matter if he has the puck on his stick or not.

Ya, but there were a ton of blown coverages under Hynes. I think either the system was flawed, too complicated for our D to understand, or didn't suit the kind of defensemen we had.

I've always blamed Nas for this, but after seeing us play the last couple games with Nas still behind the bench, maybe it was Hynes dictating the D? I dunno.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Ya, but there were a ton of blown coverages under Hynes. I think either the system was flawed, too complicated for our D to understand, or didn't suit the kind of defensemen we had.

I've always blamed Nas for this, but after seeing us play the last couple games with Nas still behind the bench, maybe it was Hynes dictating the D? I dunno.

Head coach picks and dictates the scheme. D coach has to coach to it. Also keep in mind that Nas always worked with Hynes so beside his time in the NHL as a player he only had one frame of reference for coaching. Im guessing when Ruff came into the building it probably opened up some new coaching ideas for him.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
ive been on record about early starts before…just looking up the schedule and thought this was worth it

games per day of week:

sun :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

mon :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

tues :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

wed no games aka NHLNBC

thr :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

fri :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

sat :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

…..at least in can plan my days accordingly

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's always easier to spot a mistake than the less obvious positive things a player does. For every defensive mistake Severson makes, how many times does he help exit the zone or help the transition game by making a good pass? One is easy to point to and say "What an idiot", while the other can almost be taken for granted.

Severson's boneheaded plays are frustrating and annoying, but I don't think they're really any different than most defensemen like him. Defensemen who have the puck a lot and are more offensive minded are probably going to turn the puck over or make a poorly timed pinch or lose a coverage more often than a more defensive minded and "safe" defenseman.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
One thing I respected about Kovy was his willingness to get down and dirty with the opposing players.

Have to give a lot of credit to both Jacques Lemaire and Pete DeBoer for the player Kovalchuk became with the Devils.

When he arrived he was offense only and was indifferent in his own end. His last two seasons in New Jersey he was a complete player.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
It's always easier to spot a mistake than the less obvious positive things a player does. For every defensive mistake Severson makes, how many times does he help exit the zone or help the transition game by making a good pass? One is easy to point to and say "What an idiot", while the other can almost be taken for granted.

Severson's boneheaded plays are frustrating and annoying, but I don't think they're really any different than most defensemen like him. Defensemen who have the puck a lot and are more offensive minded are probably going to turn the puck over or make a poorly timed pinch or lose a coverage more often than a more defensive minded and "safe" defenseman.
I don't think this fits the narrative of Severson bad, though.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I would claim Dell and waive both Wedgewood and Comrie.

If they both pass, Comrie to AHL to play with Senn. Wedgewood to taxi squad.

If we lose them, no big deal as I think Dell is an upgrade at backup.

I'd claim Dell and waive Comrie, but I wouldn't waive Wedgewood. There's absolutely no need to try to sneak Wedgewood through waivers to get him onto the taxi squad when the Devils can easily just carry 3 goalies this season. Losing Wedgewood would mean that either Senn or Cormier would have to be promoted to the taxi squad, wiping out a season of AHL development for each, and the Devils would still have to scramble to sign a goalie such as Zane McIntyre to play in the AHL or sit on the taxi squad. COVID or COVID protocols could easily wipe out a week or two of Wedgewood's season as could injury. I just don't see the upside in waiving Wedgewood this season even if they do pick up Dell.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
As posted on twitter, this is how I want to see the PP once full healthy.

upload_2021-1-18_11-35-17.png

Work the triangle to the right which should open up the shot or vice versa. Either way Smith gets shots through that can be tipped or screened, Subban tries to beat the goaltender clean (which never works).

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

View attachment 385357

Work the triangle to the right which should open up the shot or vice versa. Either way Smith gets shots through that can be tipped or screened, Subban tries to beat the goaltender clean (which never works).
Ya. I'd consider playing PK as a shooting wing on PP2 if they insist on him on the PP.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

View attachment 385357

I'd rather more puck movement w the system, shots from the point are really low percentage working w a static 1-3-1 format

Having Hughes and bratt in their positions does make that easier though, and it does improve odds of low pct passing plays

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

View attachment 385357

I like the idea of Bastian’s big body on one of the PP units. He’s a load and has had a couple of nifty passes in tight so far. Should’ve had an assist last game.

Reactions: Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad