Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

5ef34150e56d9.image.jpg

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't think Comrie would slip. Winnipeg can reclaim him and pass him down to the minors without waivers if we waive him. I'd keep him up as our mandatory 3rd and let Wedge do the mentoring.
Whichever works, I really don't care who goes down and who stays. Dell is a quality backup and we got him for nothing but a waiver claim. He's an excellent choice to serve as backup.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'd still try to waive Wedgewood first and hope he gets through to mentor Senn as was our original plan seemed to be before the retirement and forced 3rd goalie.
Wedgewood will should get through, no one is putting him on their roster. Better goalies than him have made it through waivers, he hasn’t played in the NHL since 2017-18. How desperate is Edmonton?

Reactions: Triumph

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Edmonton would probably take Wedgewood if he were waived as they're in desperate need of a backup goalie with Smith on LTIR. I'm a bit surprised they didn't trade a 7th rounder for Dell, though maybe they don't want to have to give up anything of value given they'd probably have to waive him once Smith is healthy again as they're pretty close to the cap.
I’m guessing Toronto wasn’t interested helping a divisional rival improve their goaltending and if we waive Dell the Leafs get him back on their taxi squad.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I’m guessing Toronto wasn’t interested helping a divisional rival improve their goaltending and if we waive Dell the Leafs get him back on their taxi squad.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think of the division rival component of it.

I don't think there's any reasonable expectation of NJ waiving Dell this season though.

If I'm understanding things correctly though (based on what I've seen on the main boards, so not 100% sure about this) - the Devils can't trade Dell or Comrie if another team had put a waiver claim on either one without that team getting the chance to claim them first?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Wedgewood will should get through, no one is putting him on their roster. Better goalies than him have made it through waivers, he hasn’t played in the NHL since 2017-18. How desperate is Edmonton?

I think Edmonton is fairly desperate right now as they have an emergency recall goalie as the backup.

I guess if Wedgewood is waived and claimed by Edmonton there's still a decent chance they waive him later in the season once Smith returns as they may not have the cap space and/or roster flexibility to carry 3 goalies this season. That might allow NJ to reclaim Wedgewood and pass him through to the AHL or have him as the taxi squad goalie and waive Comrie.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yes, better goalies have passed through waivers, but that was before Edmonton lost Smith and have no other viable options.

Reactions: HBK27

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The one thing that’s nice about Ruff is he is fully investing in riding or dying by the young guys.

He looks like a coach that is going to try to reinforce confidence in the young players and challenge them to play roles most coaches would protect them from. It’s more of a here is what I expect of you, this is what I think your capable of, and go out and show me I’m right.

If I remember correctly there was one point in the first game that the first 4-on-4 unit he used was Sharangovich and Kuokkanen which was a surprise.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I've continued to say mid February for Nico, but got pessimistic a week or so ago and said more likely March. I'm starting to feel pessimistic again..

Reactions: mdj12784

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The one thing that’s nice about Ruff is he is fully investing in riding or dying by the young guys.

He looks like a coach that is going to try to reinforce confidence in the young players and challenge them to play roles most coaches would protect them from. It’s more of a here is what I expect of you, this is what I think your capable of, and go out and show me I’m right.

If I remember correctly there was one point in the first game that the first 4-on-4 unit he used was Sharangovich and Kuokkanen which was a surprise.
What's funny is that Hynes was touted as being good with the kids, perhaps because he did well in the AHL. Maybe he does well with high school kids. I dunno.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I see Ruff being far better than Hynes with the kids. Playing them in important times of the game and in different situations .
Ice time as well .
This is exactly what the kids needed. Learn to play as they go. Don't have them so scared to make a mistake vecause they know they will be benched or have their ice time reduced.
Set them up to succeed. If they do make a mistake ( it will happen) , then its not a big deal. Learn from your mistake and move on.
Still hold people accountable but at the same time , do not rip into a kid for making a mistake.
Confidence is a very huge part of the game adn its good to see Ruff putting the kids in a position to gain confidence and show them that he has confidence in his players too.
I think that was a huge part of Zacha's issues. He had such highs and lows and when he was not playing with confidence , he was garbage. You can see when he is more confident with the puck , his play greatly improves. You can see him making plays that are skilled plays and doe not seem scared to try different things. I can see Hynes telling players not to be too cute with the puck and do the simple play , keep things basic in order to play the style of game Hynes wanted.
Now it seems like Ruff is lettign the kids play more of a style they want and allowing them to do things that would normally be frowned upon .
Give the kids responsibility , confidence , and have fun playing vs. having an uptight strict gameplan where everyone is scared shitless to make a mistake.
I love it so far.

Ruff and the team knows that they are not cup contenders and there is not so much pressure on everyone to make the playoffs . Coaching staff included. Hynes was coaching to keep his job , RUff is coaching to develop the kids and improving every game but not put hughe amounts of pressure on the kids where if they make a mistake , they are made to feel like crap for it . That is not a good way to try to have players improve their game. OS scared to make a mistake where thats all they think about vs. just going out and playing hard.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He was out there against the Bergeron line quite a bit during those two games.

And what about Zacha winning some really big face odds against both Bergeron and Krecji.
Bergeron crushed everyone in first game, good for Zajac, who went 2-10 in face-offs against him in first game, to turn that around and go 6-5 against him in second.

I will say I was pumping McLeod’s tires after he went 6-2 in face-offs in the first game and he went 0-6 in the second. Way to screw up my narrative buddy! lol

Zacha was 2-11 in the first game and 7-8 in the second. That’s involves losing a lot to Bergeron, he went 1-8 against him in the first game and 0-4 in the the second. He did go 1-1 against Krajci in the first game and 3-2 the second but he isn’t a dominant face-off guy like Bergeron. (There’s a reason why Ratface takes so many of their face-offs.)

Jack was 5-4 in the first game and 3-11 in the second. After the promising, if limited success in the first game, seeing Hughes get dominated by randos like Chris Wagner (1-5) in the second is disappointing.

Sharagovich was 4-1 in the first game and 0-3 in the second.

Some of this may reflect the Bruins’ veteran players adjusting in the second game and our young players not expecting those adjustments.

Zacha has played over 250 NHL games though, he needs get to 50% at face-offs if he wants to be a effective center. There’s no excuses next game, no one on the Rangers is particularly good at face-offs.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I love it. Toronto tried to bluff by holding on to Dell before the season started, while all these other goalies got claimed. Then they tried to sneak him through. I totally think now that Fitzgerald claimed Comrie as a smokescreen in hopes that Toronto would try to sneak him through later on. If so, that's brilliant. Now Comrie can be put back on waivers and go back to Winnipeg's taxi squad.
karlsen-emoczii.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad