Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The Butcher Benching (TM) has really not been talked about much at all in (what's left of) the media, which is a little surprising. He's only missed a handful of games in his 3 seasons here, makes more than 3x the amount of Kulikov and 5x the amount of Tennyson (and nearly 2x the amount of Vatanen) and wasn't really projected by anyone to start the season in the press box - most had him pegged for a top 4 spot.

Murray has been our best Dman, Smith looks good, and Kulikov is in my opinion essential for making it a little tougher for the opposing team in our zone. I don't see how Butch gets back in without injuries.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
The Butcher Benching (TM) has really not been talked about much at all in (what's left of) the media, which is a little surprising. He's only missed a handful of games in his 3 seasons here, makes more than 3x the amount of Kulikov and 5x the amount of Tennyson (and nearly 2x the amount of Vatanen) and wasn't really projected by anyone to start the season in the press box - most had him pegged for a top 4 spot.
Lineup decisions tend to get talked about when you are losing. When the first losing streak happens it will come up. Note posters were disappointed Merkley did not make the team. They have 5 out of 6 points and posters no longer mention him.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Murray has been our best Dman, Smith looks good, and Kulikov is in my opinion essential for making it a little tougher for the opposing team in our zone. I don't see how Butch gets back in without injuries.

I don't disagree. It just seems a bit surprising we haven't really heard from Butcher or Ruff about him not playing. Certainly not complaining about this not being a bigger issue though. Butcher has essentially dropped from a top 4 defenseman coming into this season (not league wide, but projected for our lineup) to 8th on the depth chart once Vatanen arrives.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The best sign of improvement in the NJ defense is if Butcher cannot beat out anyone for a top four spot and does not significantly outplay Smith for a spot on the third pairing. NJ does not have the correct partner for Butcher and while he'd be a good third pairing PP guy on a better team, NJ has a plethora of developmental defenders who are going to need protected minutes over the next couple of years and those minutes should not be given to a defender who cannot potentially use them as a springboard to the top two pairs.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Butcher and Smith both played on their off side extensively in college/junior. Not what you want to ask your rookie to be doing, but Butcher should be able to handle it.
It the games I've seen Butcher play on the right side, I'd say he was actually BETTER on the right than the left That was quite a while ago though.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I don't disagree. It just seems a bit surprising we haven't really heard from Butcher or Ruff about him not playing. Certainly not complaining about this not being a bigger issue though. Butcher has essentially dropped from a top 4 defenseman coming into this season (not league wide, but projected for our lineup) to 8th on the depth chart once Vatanen arrives.

Ruff was asked about Butcher not playing in the post game presser after game one. He said "Really just based on camp, for me I thought Smith had a better camp. I don't think Smith had a better last game in camp but for me the overall camp. I said we're going to compete here for ice time, we're going to compete to play. We have 8 or 9 defensemen that we really like and there's a couple of young kids that really showed well in camp also...so it just felt that Ty should be in the lineup".

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
So against the Rangers he was once again an outstanding acquirer of the puck.

In the 850 seconds of 5v5 ice time he touched the puck 31 times. This one puck per 27 seconds rate is elite. It’s comparable to the McDavids, Matthews and MacKinnons of the world.

Hughes is also now executing plays at a high success rate on those touches. On 31 attempts he amassed 25 completed passes and shots at net for an 80.6% success rate.

The last time he consistently completed plays at an 80% rate, he averaged over two points per game against USHL competition.

Jack Hughes, Year 2

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

In the 850 seconds of 5v5 ice time he touched the puck 31 times. This one puck per 27 seconds rate is elite. It’s comparable to the McDavids, Matthews and MacKinnons of the world.

Hughes is also now executing plays at a high success rate on those touches. On 31 attempts he amassed 25 completed passes and shots at net for an 80.6% success rate.

The last time he consistently completed plays at an 80% rate, he averaged over two points per game against USHL competition.

Jack Hughes, Year 2

“Inject this straight into my veins”

-Me, a Devils fan desperate for hope

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

The boys are back in town

week-in-review-emma-stone-gifs-little-mix-thecozyarmchair.gif

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Hughes and Palms blow my mind, if you were to describe these two players strengths and play style it would be insane to think anything other than perfect synergy.

I mean Hughes is doing his part, but it didn’t really work last year either when both were playing well. I know it’s not as simple as sniper with playmaker, but still, crazy how it just doesn’t work as well as it should.

Reactions: nugg

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Jack Hughes, Year 2

Another 2PPG season incoming

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Hughes and Palms blow my mind, if you were to describe these two players strengths and play style it would be insane to think anything other than perfect synergy.

I mean Hughes is doing his part, but it didn’t really work last year either when both were playing well. I know it’s not as simple as sniper with playmaker, but still, crazy how it just doesn’t work as well as it should.

Still too early. I mean Palms had a breakaway in each game one and two and didn’t finish on them. It’s not like they’ve generated nothing. Palms also had a brutal preseason last year and without a preseason this year and 10 months off it could just be taking time for him to get back to speed

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Still too early. I mean Palms had a breakaway in each game one and two and didn’t finish on them. It’s not like they’ve generated nothing. Palms also had a brutal preseason last year and without a preseason this year and 10 months off it could just be taking time for him to get back to speed
Not really putting a lot of thought into this year about it, I’m just talking in general, neither benefits from the other in the way you would expect.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Note posters were disappointed Merkley did not make the team. They have 5 out of 6 points and posters no longer mention him.

I personally was more worried about giving him away before we get to see what his ceiling is, than not making the team.

But I agree with your earlier point, we're definitely gonna hit trouble waters sooner or later and I expect all of our defence to get heavy criticism when we do.

I'd be more than happy to see Butcher get a shot, there's a lot of talent there, he just needs to refine and adjust his game to his weaker skating. He was great in his first season, but then kinda lost his way, but I do believe it's entirely possible for him to bounce back. I feel like the best defencemen hit their prime at their late 20s / early 30s.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Shara - Hughes - Palmieri
Bratt - Nico - Zacha
Wood - Zajac - Gusev
Johnsson - McLeod - Bastian
Boqvist

Murray - Subban
Kulikov - Severson
Smith - Vatanen
Tennyson

Blackwood
Dell

EDIT: f*** me, totally forgot Zacha. I guess chuck him on wing with Nico. Don't like Boqvist sitting, maybe he should go to Bing. Hmmmm.... Trade bait?
Players do get injured during the season, it’s not limited to pre-season Switzerland. “We‘ll have way too many forwards when Nico gets back!” is only problem when 1) Nico actually back 2) somehow no other forward is injured. Players are dropping like flies on some teams, trading depth away is not good idea.

I don’t have no issue with Boqvist playing minutes with Bing either. It’s not the worst thing for him.

Bratt’s coming so that’s a real question. I’m waiting for Sami’s paperwork and Nico’s foot to force the other decisions.

Reactions: PWiz30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad