Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I do not think so, When there is an injury on the left side who do the Devils have to play? He also has little/no trade value so I really do not think so.

Yeah, we're extremely thin on the left side beyond Butcher and I'm not sure how hot the market is for a $3.7M defenseman that can't beat out Kulikov for a spot in the top 6.

Gotta hold onto him and maybe Seattle takes him this summer.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Is Butcher trade bait now? I can't imagine he's worth too much on the market since he had a down season and hasn't played yet this year.

Not so fast—Murray and Kulikov, despite playing well so far, are still massive injury risks.

Unless we’re solicited by a team willing to pay good-to-great value for Butcher, I’d much rather hang onto the depth.

But just for shits, would Boston be a fit? They’ve suffered several blows to their LHD depth, and they haven’t done much to address it.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Not so fast—Murray and Kulikov, despite playing well so far, are still massive injury risks.

Unless we’re solicited by a team willing to pay good-to-great value for Butcher, I’d much rather hang onto the depth.

But just for shits, would Boston be a fit? They’ve suffered several blows to their LHD depth, and they haven’t done much to address it.

For sure... it's just weird to me that a younger guy making a few mil per year is a healthy scratch... but better to have that depth.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

But I think the key words are they are not doing much to address it. They knew they were losing those LHD and did nothing to address it. I could be wrong but I am getting the impression Boston is not placing much value on this season. Secondary scoring was available for relatively cheap in the offseason (Dadonov, Hoffman) and they chose to ignore an obvious weakness other than signing a declining Craig Smith.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yeah, as much fun as it was to watch Parise and Kovy on the PK back in 2012, I'd rather not have Hughes out there on the PK.

Hopefully McLeod can step up his game in that department as his speed should be an asset. He's currently 5th in F PK ice time. By that same token it's a shame Wood can't play the PK given his speed for breakaways.

Reactions: Darkauron

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
4uotzo.jpg

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Really random thought. I love having Russians/Eastern Euros on the team. I feel like they are always funny and good to have around. Now we have Goose, Sharangovich, Kulikov, Zacha.... Back in 2012 we had Kovy, Zidlicky, Elias, Zubrus, Poni, Sykora... I feel like the team is a lot more fun with those guys around.

Winning games makes everything more fun.

Reactions: glenwo2 and JimEIV

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
we are not going to get anything worthwhile in a trade for Butcher right now....rather just keep him than deal him for a 4th round pick or something
Very true!

I assume Vatanen replaces Tennyson.

Dude I'm trying not to get too excited. But the team was so much fun to watch in games 2 and 3 and that's without Bratt, Hischier, and Vatanen.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Totally fine with holding onto Butch for the time being. He'll get a chance at some point. Keep the depth in an uncertain year.

The return likely wouldn't be worth it for us to deal him anyway.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The Butcher Benching (TM) has really not been talked about much at all in (what's left of) the media, which is a little surprising. He's only missed a handful of games in his 3 seasons here, makes more than 3x the amount of Kulikov and 5x the amount of Tennyson (and nearly 2x the amount of Vatanen) and wasn't really projected by anyone to start the season in the press box - most had him pegged for a top 4 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad