Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Reactions: mdj12784

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
You put the Cordell stat I quoted together with this (bottom graphic):

Small sample sizes obviously, but for me, the bottom line is that if we put together a team defense that limits high danger chances and creates clarity for Mac, he's going to reward us in the same manner Rask has with the Bruins. It's an obvious idea, just expressed statistically - a decent defense and decent goalie will create a positive feedback loop. It worked for 20 years here and it's what worked for BOS.

The difference is those teams never had the potential center depth we might have here. Still: it's early and we've only played one team so don't want to get ahead of myself. But as a wise dude once said, "This is the way."

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So what’s the news on Nico’s leg and when he be back on the ice?
Why is there no more information on this by the Devils? Are they afraid of rising prosthesis prices if they already now communicate he actually does needs a wooden leg?
Seriously, what’s up?
If it’s not a break where you can look at an X-Ray they often have to go by how it feels and how stable it is. The lack of info from the team may be be due the nature of the injury itself rather then the team knowing all sorts of things they’re keeping secret.

I posted an article about Hall’s injury. Doctors didn’t know what was wrong with Hall’s knee until they performed surgery on it. They performed surgery on because it never got better after months of rehab. They are being a bit weirdly secretive about this, but I assume they actually don’t know when Nico will be back on the ice. The injury happened early December.

I didn’t see the scrimmage where Matt Laughlin said it wasn’t a high ankle sprain. Maybe it is something else or maybe Matt doesn’t know what high ankle sprains are. If they said internally it’s a ligament tear, then that’s what a high ankle sprain is, it’s just referring to position of the injury. It’s hard to come up with a different injury from someone falling on a guy’s leg skating that requires a boot and no surgery.

Then again, I’m not a health care professional or a hockey player and I haven’t worked in either field. I know people who have had this injury but this post still has some real Dr Internet energy. (I’m also 50% on Laughlin being helpful here but that’s probably just me being unfair, he just comes across a little dopey to me at times.)

Reactions: SWW and tailfins

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
If it’s not a break where you can look at an X-Ray they often have to go by how it feels and how stable it is. The lack of info from the team may be be due the nature of the injury itself rather then the team knowing all sorts of things they’re keeping secret.

I posted an article about Hall’s injury. Doctors didn’t know what was wrong with Hall’s knee until they performed surgery on it. They performed surgery on because it never got better after months of rehab. They are being a bit weirdly secretive about this, but I assume they actually don’t know when Nico will be back on the ice. The injury happened early December.

I didn’t see the scrimmage where Matt Laughlin said it wasn’t a high ankle sprain. Maybe it is something else or maybe Matt doesn’t know what high ankle sprains are. If they said internally it’s a ligament tear, then that’s what a high ankle sprain is, it’s just referring to position of the injury. It’s hard to come up with a different injury from someone falling on a guy’s leg skating that requires a boot and no surgery.

Then again, I’m not a health care professional or a hockey player and I haven’t worked in either field. I know people who have had this injury but this post still has some real Dr Internet energy. (I’m also 50% on Laughlin being helpful here but that’s probably just me being unfair, he just comes across a little dopey to me at times.)
Iirc he said it was a broken bone in the foot.

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
He almost certainly thought he didn't have as much time as he did, you can't always take a peek at the clock when you're racing up ice.
I'm glad i was able to help out with getting the main board thread locked lol. Really hope the kid pots one tonight, Ranger fans are salty that hes had 2 good games. Would be hilarious to see them crumble tonight

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
....no.

X-ray -> no break -> MRI

Anyway, something tells me the coach who won't give out line combos an hour before a game isn't going to be forthcoming with injury details. But if we want to act as if they would disclose a timetable or injury and just are unsure, generally:
  • Ankle injuries have very predictable timelines. Especially for young athletes. But very susceptible to re-injury (and very difficult to predict)
  • Mid foot fractures/lisfranc are a nightmare to estimate recovery for. Usually player comes back and is either ok...or they still have pain and have to go for surgery. Kind of trial and error approach.
  • Knees/back - not relevant for Nico, but similar to directly above
TL;DR if you think the org would give a timetable if they knew one, then I highly doubt it's an ankle injury.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
So what’s the news on Nico’s leg and when he be back on the ice?
Why is there no more information on this by the Devils? Are they afraid of rising prosthesis prices if they already now communicate he actually does needs a wooden leg?
Seriously, what’s up?
Apparently Nico left his leg in Switzerland and they are having trouble getting a visa for his leg.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I don't know how all this works, is that more on the US or Finnish end? If it was the Finnish end then maybe it'll only be an issue for Vatanen and not Bratt. If it's the US then we could be waiting a while for both Bratt and Vatanen

As someone who's done preliminary work in immigration law, I can tell you that the visa process is exceedingly long on the US end. There are scenarios where individual cases can be expedited through the system, but a P-1A Athlete visa can take as long as 3 to 6 months to fully process. I don't think that's going to be the situation here, but these things take forever.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
....no.

X-ray -> no break -> MRI

Anyway, something tells me the coach who won't give out line combos an hour before a game isn't going to be forthcoming with injury details. But if we want to act as if they would disclose a timetable or injury and just are unsure, generally:
  • Ankle injuries have very predictable timelines. Especially for young athletes. But very susceptible to re-injury (and very difficult to predict) i
  • Mid foot fractures/lisfranc are a nightmare to estimate recovery for. Usually player comes back and is either ok...or they still have pain and have to go for surgery. Kind of trial and error approach.
  • Knees/back - not relevant for Nico, but similar to directly above
TL;DR if you think the org would give a timetable if they knew one, then I highly doubt it's an ankle injury.

It's that second scenario that's troublesome. The trial and error approach is typically a drawn out process. Hopefully Nico really doesn't need a surgery and is getting better and they are just being quiet about it. Ugh.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Can we trade for homeboy tony deangelo
I dont think we need another RHD after signing Vatanen but it is interesting to note DeAngelo had a career year last season coached by Lindy Ruff, whom was in charge of Rangers defenseman.

It could be interesting to reunite DeAngelo with Ruff again. I would be down for a Butcher for DeAngelo swap.

Reactions: nugg and MikeyFlynn

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
From Friedman 31 thoughts.

3. Apparently, New Jersey’s Tom Fitzgerald has a unique contract. He signed a long-term extension last year, but, when promoted to the GM chair last summer, was given a one-year contract for that specific position. We’ll see how that plays out. It’s early, but the Devils played Boston hard in taking three out of a possible four points in their season opener. Could have implications for them or possibly even Pittsburgh, where Fitzgerald worked before.

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
From Friedman 31 thoughts.

3. Apparently, New Jersey’s Tom Fitzgerald has a unique contract. He signed a long-term extension last year, but, when promoted to the GM chair last summer, was given a one-year contract for that specific position. We’ll see how that plays out. It’s early, but the Devils played Boston hard in taking three out of a possible four points in their season opener. Could have implications for them or possibly even Pittsburgh, where Fitzgerald worked before.

yikes I don’t really like that

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
WTF...I guess now the owners are going the other way with a management contract since they had to fire Shero barely a year into a long-term extension. Now I wonder about Lindy's deal too :P

Has Shero even said word one since last year? It's like he's been in seclusion for twelve months.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad