Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes, that's the most noticeable thing about his game to me. We have some decent shooters on the blue line, but we've seen so many shots blocked or miss the net. Ty's seem to get through every time, and it's why he's getting points.

Chico was saying PK could learn a thing or two from Smith with how he shoots from the point.

Less big slappers and more wristers that actually reach the net.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
I dont think we need another RHD after signing Vatanen but it is interesting to note DeAngelo had a career year last season coached by Lindy Ruff, whom was in charge of Rangers defenseman.

It could be interesting to reunite DeAngelo with Ruff again. I would be down for a Butcher for DeAngelo swap.

I think a Butcher for DeAngelo swap would be great for both teams

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’s really not a bad player, but he’s a pretty terrible human being. And while we may have some terrible human beings here and certainly have had some in the past, this guy’s shit is out in the open and very public. We already know too much about him.

Don’t see any need for him here.

It’s a shame he’s such a lousy human being, because it will undoubtedly remove years from his career.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
upload_2021-1-20_8-8-36.png

This guy will be between a second and third center. He just does not have have good hockey IQ. If he was selected in the 4th round, people would have enough of him already. In case Devils keep losing games, his teammates are going to call him out on this: He can't pass. Nothing frustrates players more than grenades. They will tell him eventually. He makes plays that don't exist, passes into skates, makes backhanded passes after dangling to confuse the line mates, and loses the puck each time. He can not make a simple tape to tape pass, he is random, has no shot, and can't play D. He has an awesome 1-2 step and good dangling (that's why fans thing he is great), but that's it. Yesterday he did look way more mature than first year though.

To be honest, besides Nico Hisher (2C), this entire team does not have much talent at all. Not a single player that would be on a first line on a good team. Watch Makar play and see what talent means.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wood leads our team in shots with 11 and Gusev is second with 10. Hughes and Subban both have 7 and Zacha rounds out the top 5 with 6 shots.

Kuokkanen and Blackwood are the only Devils without a shot this season. Johnsson has 1.

Last edited:

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Chico was saying PK could learn a thing or two from Smith with how he shoots from the point.

Less big slappers and more wristers that actually reach the net.
Stuck out to me that the goal Subban was denied last night with the off-side review was pretty much just that: well-guided wrister and not a big wind up slapper, lo and behold it made its way through.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I believe the 2nd and 4th lines will get changed for the next game.

Johnsson - Zacha - Kuokkanen
Gusev - McLeod - Bastian
I dont see the point of playing Gusev on 4th line. You got to play him with skilled players to get him going. He's a bit like Kovy the last couple of years. He's not a bottom 6er and he's not going to be effective playing limited minutes on a 4th line. He's a top 6 player or you scratch him.

If anything i would try him with Jack Hughes and it would be Palmieri that is taken off that line, not Sharangovich.

Sharangovich - Hughes - Gusev
Johnsson - Zacha - Palmieri
Wood - Zajac - Boqvist
Kuokkanen - McLeod - Bastian

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wood and Zajac have been possession monsters this year with Zajac at 61% and Wood at 59.4. No one else is over 52 - Murray 51.8 is the next closest. Edit: The team CF% is 47.7

You can make a strong case for Wood being our best forward this season.

Leads the team in shots, goals, 2nd in points, 2nd in CF%

Certainly not getting enough love on this board.

Last edited:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Wood and Zajac have been possession monsters this year with Zajac at 61% and Wood at 59.4. No one else is over 52 - Murray 51.8 is the next closest.

Wood has definitely surprised me. Maybe he's finally turned a corner.

I'd like to see Gusev with them, get him going.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wood has definitely surprised me. Maybe he's finally turned a corner.

I'd like to see Gusev with them, get him going.
I really hope he can crack 20 this season. I just think it is almost impossible to keep up the intensity level that he needs to play at. He needs to learn to be more efficient, pick his spots for when to turn on the jets and go full bore.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wood and Zajac have been possession monsters this year with Zajac at 61% and Wood at 59.4. No one else is over 52 - Murray 51.8 is the next closest. Edit: The team CF% is 47.7

This is where patience can be rewarding. I've said before that I've been hesitant with any desire to move Wood because he has such a unique skillset that if he ever figured it out, he could really click.

I think a couple of things are at play with his success so far in these 3 games. One, I think he is taking it to heart that he needed to mature with the state of the current team. He seems to be recognizing he needs to be more of a leader out there and not play with such reckless abandon as he previously did. While he still has been to a degree, he appears to be more cognizant of when to bring it and when to harness it. It's almost like that first game really opened his eyes with those penalties and that he is applying it going forward.

Secondly, I think it can't be understated how much Travis Zajac relieves pressure from his linemates. He seriously will never get the appreciation that he deserves. He is the most reliable player in every facet, does all the little things no one notices and his linemates tend to be the ones who reap the rewards. Not to discredit Wood at all, but man, Zajac has done this now for how long? Coleman, Noesen, Wood, Gusev. They've all benefitted from being Travis Zajac's wingers.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is where patience can be rewarding. I've said before that I've been hesitant with any desire to move Wood because he has such a unique skillset that if he ever figured it out, he could really click.

I think a couple of things are at play with his success so far in these 3 games. One, I think he is taking it to heart that he needed to mature with the state of the current team. He seems to be recognizing he needs to be more of a leader out there and not play with such reckless abandon as he previously did. While he still has been to a degree, he appears to be more cognizant of when to bring it and when to harness it. It's almost like that first game really opened his eyes with those penalties and that he is applying it going forward.

Secondly, I think it can't be understated how much Travis Zajac relieves pressure from his linemates. He seriously will never get the appreciation that he deserves. He is the most reliable player in every facet, does all the little things no one notices and his linemates tend to be the ones who reap the rewards. Not to discredit Wood at all, but man, Zajac has done this now for how long? Coleman, Noesen, Wood, Gusev. They've all benefitted from being Travis Zajac's wingers.
Very true. Travis has been an under-appreciated guy for pretty much his entire career.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zajac has really played well in the first 3 games. I figured he would be done - he does not appear to be yet.

Can't forget about Boqvist who while he doesn't have anything on the scoresheet, he's been making a lot of solid plays all over the ice to obtain or prolong possession.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

This is basically what we saw from Greene is last few years. Larsson, Severson, Vatanen - all somehow looked best with him. It would be nice if Murray was that guy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad