Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
When Nico and Bratt come back

Sharangovich - Hughes - Palmieri
Johnsson - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zajac - Boqvist
Zacha - Mcleod - Bastian

Sit Gusev and Kuokkanen

Gusev has been TERRIBLE, we better not resign this guy

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Granlund signed in early Jan and he’s been in COVID protocol for a couple of days now so hopefully Bratt’s and Vatanen’s timeline is more similar to his than Kapanen

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

Wood - Zajac - Boqvist
Zacha - Mcleod - Bastian

Sit Gusev and Kuokkanen

Switch Palmieri and Bratt. Palms will find his soothing touch with Hischier and has never really played well with Hughes.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Wood - Zajac - Boqvist
Zacha - Mcleod - Bastian

Sit Gusev and Kuokkanen

Gusev will take some time to adapt as he did last year. But once he gets going he adds a dynamic this team just does not have.

When we get healthy I would imagine there ends up being a lot of roster shuffling. Sharangovich will likely hit a wall at some point purely on games played so it would be smart to rotate him in and out. Same goes for guys like Kuokkanen and Boqvist who are still just rookies.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ

Wood - Zajac - Boqvist
Zacha - Mcleod - Bastian

Sit Gusev and Kuokkanen

Off of 3 games after a long layoff with no pre-season you're deciding we shouldn't sign him? He damn near led the team in points last year.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Off of 3 games after a long layoff with no pre-season you're deciding we shouldn't sign him? He damn near led the team in points last year.

Let's be real, he had 15 of 44 points on the PP last year. He's not fast, he lacks agility and is poor defensively. He has undoubtable skill, but we've got plenty of skill guys coming in the next few years (Boqvist, Holtz, Bratt, Sharangovich). Doesn't fit into Lindy Ruff's system at all.

if he's not producing points, he is absolutely worthless. You need more than 1 intabgible (skill) to be a long time nhler. I guarantee he's either traded or let go by year end.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Let's be real, he had 15 of 44 points on the PP last year. He's not fast, he lacks agility and is poor defensively. He has undoubtable skill, but we've got plenty of skill guys coming in the next few years (Boqvist, Holtz, Bratt, Sharangovich). Doesn't fit into Lindy Ruff's system at all.

if he's not producing points, he is absolutely worthless. You need more than 1 intabgible (skill) to be a long time nhler. I guarantee he's either traded or let go by year end.

I agree with much of what you suggest but to be fair to Gusev, it's early, and he played his best last year down the stretch with Bratt. Hopefully they try that again if Bratt can ever escape Sweden. If that doesn't work, then it may be a lack of system fit and time to consider if the team wants him back or not.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If the fourth line and Boqvist keep it up, the clock probably starts ticking on Zacha.

If you're going to have guys who don't score, you might as well make sure they aren't possession blackholes who prevent your scorers (Gusev, Johnsson) from scoring.

But it's early.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ

That PP points split is pretty normal. Palmieri 18 of 45, Draisaitl 44 of 110, MacKinnon 31 of 93. Agreed on the skating and defense...but he produces offense in a way that much of our roster currently doesn't. And again 3 games with no preseason is pretty quick to say he won't work in Ruffs system.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
DeAngelo has been spurned by two organizations now - and his third is benching him because he can't keep his emotions in check. His meltdown vs NYI was bizarre.

We heard all about his "breakout season" last year, yet he was healthy scratched last night. It's clear this guy has upside as a player, but it's just as clear he's a hothead with poor temperament. And it seems the Rangers believe the latter brings more detriment than the former brings prosperity - the same conclusion Tampa and Arizona drew.

Bottom line, DeAngelo isn't a surefire asset, and he's certainly not a guy you want in a room full of impressionable, hungry rookies. He might get straightened out in a room of by-the-book veterans on a contending team, but that's the polar opposite of the Devils' current situation. For those reasons, we should have no interest.

Of course, none of the above has to do with politics, although many will force that into the conversation. If DeAngelo's benching actually is about politics, that's a shame, but it's entirely his fault. As a public figure, he chose to plaster controversial, out-of-his-lane opinions - completely unrelated to why he's a public figure - all over social media, drawing negative attention to himself and his employer. It's unfortunate, but freedom of speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences of your speech. It's a business decision by the Rangers.

What's even more unfortunate is the same people that are quick to crucify DeAngelo are just as quick to lament Kaepernick being "black-balled" by the NFL. It's the same exact situation, and if you're a principled person, you'd have the same reaction to each. Something tells me many of those antagonizing DeAngelo in here would try to draw distinctions between the two, and that's disingenuous - you're part of the problem.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think even worse than not producing points is not producing shots. Gusev is 2nd(10) on team in shots and Zacha(6) is 5th.

Johnsson with 1 shot and Kuokanen with 0 is unacceptable and Boqvist with 2 is skirting the edge.

Johnsson has been very disappointing so far. I expected him to bring some "jam" to at least try to replace Coleman, but he's been totally ineffective and invisible.

I do wonder if the extended off-season hit the NHL regulars harder than it did the kids. Johnsson, Palmieri and Gusev have all looked below-par, if not downright bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad