Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Gusev is weak on the puck, weak on the forecheck, slow and weak defensively, he will be expendable next year with the possibility of Mercer, Holtz, Foote making the team and the emergence of 1 of Bastian, Boqvist, Sharangovich, Kuokkanen, Merkley, Matlsev.

Palmeiri is a must re-sign in my opinion, brings alot to the game and secondary scoring. 6x6 works for me (preferrably less term though).

ya, you wont find many takers on this unless he really ramps up his game…..as of now not a chance in hell he get anything close to that contract

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Anyone turning on Gusev for not producing when he has Pavel Zacha of all people as his center are being insane. Same goes for turning on Palms and him having a slow start. He's been the definition of consistent as a Devil. 3 bad games after 10 months off is nothing

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Anyone turning on Gusev for not producing when he has Pavel Zacha of all people as his center are being insane. Same goes for turning on Palms and him having a slow start. He's been the definition of consistent as a Devil. 3 bad games after 10 months off is nothing

It's not his production, it's that he's a black hole with the puck. Maybe when Nico and Bratt are back and he plays with more skilled players that will change, let's hope so.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't think Mercer or Holtz will be ready next season. Maybe a guy like Talvitie, Maltsev, or Zetterlund if they progress will be ready.
You never know, but I’d bet on one of them being here. But Mercer definitely needs to improve his skating and Holtz needs to improve his all around game.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016

But Gusev was most productive with Zacha last year??

Reactions: Billdo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's not his production, it's that he's a black hole with the puck. Maybe when Nico and Bratt are back and he plays with more skilled players that will change, let's hope so.

Gusev needs guys who have skill and can drive play for him. We saw that last year. 3 bad games where he is playing with a guy who has always been awful when he's not strapped to Bratt's hip and Johnsson who isn't a guy who is overly skilled or will be the one driving the bus is no reason to turn on him.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
I understand that Senn and Bahl swapped.. but does someone have to be sent down for Comrie? Or was there an available roster spot?

Devils only had 22 of the 23 active roster spots filled. With Comrie in now they have no spots left. When Vatanen and Bratt are ready then room needs to be made. Then when Hishier comes off IR or Dell clears COVID quarantine, then they will need to make room for them, by demoting two current roster guys to taxi/AHL.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
ya, you wont find many takers on this unless he really ramps up his game…..as of now not a chance in hell he get anything close to that contract

Palmeiri is a consistent 20 goal scorer, plays with top line players, PP, PK, hard on the forecheck, responsible defensively. Have you even watched the devils over the past 2/3 years. Palmieri will sign for 6+ this season or off-season

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Gusev is not a good player. This has been my opinion since the first game I ever watched him. What exactly does he bring to the lineup. Zacha is in fact better than Gusev, faster, bigger and more skilled and he’s good on the pk. People gotta stop ragging on Zacha just because he didn’t turn out based on where he went in a good draft. He’s still a valuable player.

Reactions: Steelman

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Gusev needs guys who have skill and can drive play for him. We saw that last year. 3 bad games where he is playing with a guy who has always been awful when he's not strapped to Bratt's hip and Johnsson who isn't a guy who is overly skilled or will be the one driving the bus is no reason to turn on him.

I'd like to see a Bratt-Hischier-Gusev 2nd line when the other two forwards are back. I think it could be very good.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gusev is not a good player. This has been my opinion since the first game I ever watched him. What exactly does he bring to the lineup. Zacha is in fact better than Gusev, faster, bigger and more skilled and he’s good on the pk. People gotta stop ragging on Zacha just because he didn’t turn out based on where he went in a good draft. He’s still a valuable player.

Yeah I'm not even going to debate this one. This is just too absurd

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Gusev is tremendously talented and can set up goals and score in the offensive zone. If used correctly, I think he can be an elite offensive contributor. The problem is that he's not a versatile player, and there are not many other things he does well. He doesn't play great defense and he's not a great transition player by any means. That's why I'd like to see him with Bratt and Nico, those two are superb defensive players and excellent in transition, and when they get the puck into the zone, they can have an elite weapon in Gusev.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If the fourth line and Boqvist keep it up, the clock probably starts ticking on Zacha.

If you're going to have guys who don't score, you might as well make sure they aren't possession blackholes who prevent your scorers (Gusev, Johnsson) from scoring.

But it's early.
If Zacha does not pick it up he will end up being one of the 2 experienced Fs that the team has to expose in the expansion draft IMO.

That is what this year is about - figuring out who will be on the team when the team is a contender in the next couple of years.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Gusev was an extremely productive even strength producer after a rough start last season. Pavel Zacha is not a valuable player at all. He is one of the most replaceable players on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad