Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Devils only had 22 of the 23 active roster spots filled. With Comrie in now they have no spots left. When Vatanen and Bratt are ready then room needs to be made. Then when Hishier comes off IR or Dell clears COVID quarantine, then they will need to make room for them, by demoting two current roster guys to taxi/AHL.
Umm... I think we had 22 spots filled. Were carrying 8 D.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Bratt-Hischier-Gusev
Sharangovich-Hughes-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Boqvist
Zacha-McLeod-Johnsson

I could see Johnsson taking Sharangovich's or Boqvist's spot depending on how things play out.

Reactions: JK3

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yes, however even getting those opportunities means he's getting into the right positions. I'm not too worried about Gusev. He just needs to get his timing down. It'll come.
Also Gusev and Palmieri drive our power play which only lasted 2:22 minutes last night because we went 1/2 and Rangers are sinless.

I’m not going to defend what we’ve seen of the power play because **gestures at horror we witnessed during the games against Boston** but I’m assuming improvements are coming and these are guys who will score an improved PP.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Gusev is tremendously talented and can set up goals and score in the offensive zone. If used correctly, I think he can be an elite offensive contributor. The problem is that he's not a versatile player, and there are not many other things he does well. He doesn't play great defense and he's not a great transition player by any means. That's why I'd like to see him with Bratt and Nico, those two are superb defensive players and excellent in transition, and when they get the puck into the zone, they can have an elite weapon in Gusev.
What exactly makes Gusev tremendously talented. He’s the slowest and worst overall skater on our team. He’s the smallest player. He’s doesn’t actually have a good shot and his hands are average at best. I’ll give him this: he’s a smart offensive player who has good vision and he’s good in shootout and decent on power play.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I definitely wouldn't break up the Zajac line, same goes for the 4th line, Palms is coming along so I'd leave the first alone for now too. The Zacha line stinks, they just have no chemistry whatsoever. I don't think Goose is a bad player at all but, he's definitely struggling within the new system but I have no idea what to do there, but we shouldn't just blow everything up at this point. Something is going to give anyway when Nico and Bratt are back.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Start Wedgewood vs the Isles and let Comrie back up. Mack deserves a true day off
I heartily agree with not having Blackwood as a backup because it does feel like the odds of him having to come in a play a period or two are uncomfortably high if he’s on the bench.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Gusev started slow last year too. He'll be fine. His style of play is reminiscent of Igor Larionov to me with a little more offensive creativity and less defensive prowess.

Reactions: glenwo2

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
What exactly makes Gusev tremendously talented. He’s the slowest and worst overall skater on our team. He’s the smallest player. He’s doesn’t actually have a good shot and his hands are average at best. I’ll give him this: he’s a smart offensive player who has good vision and he’s good in shootout and decent on power play.

Ask yourself how it's possible for a player to not have a good shot or good hands, but still be good in the shootout.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
Gusev is tremendously talented and can set up goals and score in the offensive zone. If used correctly, I think he can be an elite offensive contributor. The problem is that he's not a versatile player, and there are not many other things he does well. He doesn't play great defense and he's not a great transition player by any means. That's why I'd like to see him with Bratt and Nico, those two are superb defensive players and excellent in transition, and when they get the puck into the zone, they can have an elite weapon in Gusev.

I had the same thought for a Gusev-Nico-Bratt line when those 2 are back, but at least so far Palmieri has shown to be much better with Nico than with Hughes. Because of that think I'd go...

Gusev-Nico-Palmieri
Shara-Hughes-Bratt

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Gusev took some time to adjust last year, so I’m not rushing any conclusions yet. It’s entirely possible that these first ~10 games is just another adjustment period.

Last year was the adjustment to North American ice, and perhaps this year is an adjustment to actual NHL hockey (versus the structureless chaos we watched for much of last season).

He’s too talented to not heat up.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I do get nervous with Jack or Nico as regular PKers because of injury risks but the potential offense they can create on it is tantalizing

Reactions: RangerDoggo

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Gusev can be deadly below the hash marks but he's off to a slow start and Boston certainly did not leave much ice to work with. He whiffed on that wide open net that could have made a difference but you know, season opening jitters and all.

He requires play drivers to use his only asset, which is an accurate shot from most anywhere below the dots. Otherwise he's generally a soft and not particularly speedy player, though somewhat shifty east/west. If he's not getting set up for scoring chances though, he's generally not bringing a whole lot to the lineup.

He needs play drivers to be useful, period. And that's coming from someone who liked what he brought last year since this team has been desperate for goal scorers for years now.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ask yourself how it's possible for a player to not have a good shot or good hands, but still be good in the shootout.
Because he’s smart and deceptive. So much more to a shootout than just shot and hands. I didn’t say he can’t shoot and stick handle everyone in the NHL can, just said he’s average in those aspects.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I dont think comrie would of been called up if the plan was to start mack tomorrow

He wasn't called up - he was put on the active roster. I don't think the Devils had any choice - once he cleared COVID protocol he had to be added or put back on waivers. I still think Blackwood starts tomorrow night.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I do get nervous with Jack or Nico as regular PKers because of injury risks but the potential offense they can create on it is tantalizing

Yeah, that's my hesitation. Shot blocking is a major tactic in good PKs now, and I'm just not thrilled with the idea of our best players laying out in front of bombs from the point. This team is loaded with good bottom six forwards, hard for me to believe that you can't build a great PK from Zacha, Zajac, McLeod, Shara, Jonsson, Merkley, Kuokkonen, and Maltsev.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gusev can be deadly below the hash marks but he's off to a slow start and Boston certainly did not leave much ice to work with. He whiffed on that wide open net that could have made a difference but you know, season opening jitters and all.

He requires play drivers to use his only asset, which is an accurate shot from most anywhere below the dots. Otherwise he's generally a soft and not particularly speedy player, though somewhat shifty east/west. If he's not getting set up for scoring chances though, he's generally not bringing a whole lot to the lineup.

He needs play drivers to be useful, period. And that's coming from someone who liked what he brought last year since this team has been desperate for goal scorers for years now.

I'm convinced people have not watched Gusev at all. How is Gusev's "only asset" his shot from below the dots? It isn't even his best asset. He was an elite playmaker last season. 7th in 5v5 primary assists per 60.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I definitely wouldn't break up the Zajac line, same goes for the 4th line, Palms is coming along so I'd leave the first alone for now too. The Zacha line stinks, they just have no chemistry whatsoever. I don't think Goose is a bad player at all but, he's definitely struggling within the new system but I have no idea what to do there, but we shouldn't just blow everything up at this point. Something is going to give anyway when Nico and Bratt are back.

If we absolutely need to make space when Hischier and Bratt come back, I'd probably reluctantly bench Boqvist (or at least strongly consider it). I think Kuokkanen is a given, and the other choice may be Johnsson. I'd add Zacha to that list too, but he's valuable on the PK for now (at least until we start getting Hughes and Nico there).

Reactions: JK3

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Palmeiri is a consistent 20 goal scorer, plays with top line players, PP, PK, hard on the forecheck, responsible defensively. Have you even watched the devils over the past 2/3 years. Palmieri will sign for 6+ this season or off-season

maybe he will but not for 6 years.....and last year he played 13 seconds a game on the pk....the year before, 18 seconds....... with a healthy lineup he doesnt play it

and ya, i watch

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
zzz_400x400.jpg

But yes, Gusev does have a good shot and obviously good hands. He’ll be fine.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
I can't comprehend thinking Zacha of all people is better than Gusev lol. Zacha at this point is bordering on being just-a-guy. Not great defensively (not to say bad, just not noteworthy), obviously doesn't produce, doesn't bring too much of a physical element...just a guy.

Take away the first 20 games of last year as an adjustment period from the KHL to the NHL and Gusev produced at a ~65 point pace over the remaining 46 games. He obviously has his flaws (defense, weak, not a fast skater) but get the puck on his stick in the offensive zone and he will create offense. He has that rare offensive IQ to create plays. Honestly outside of Hughes I'm not sure we have someone else better than him at that.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I think his skating is underrated - he has a wide base and is really very strong on his skates and hard to knock off the puck. We have enough jitterbugs such that Zajac/Zacha and guys like Goose are reasonably important.

Reactions: PWiz30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad