Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
BCA9DD75095D519F346FA76721ABEE2C4DFAC2F9

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
True, Shero might be the one holding things up but I doubt it very much. If he’s somewhat worried about Hall blowing out the same left knee twice in 3 years, his decision should’ve already been made by now. I don’t see what’ll change his mind in the next couple of months.

What I said in another thread was that if Shero is on the fence about resigning Hall because of injuries and he does miss some significant time this year, I don’t see why we would sign him next offseason. If he doesn’t get injured and has the season we all know he can have, he’ll get a boatload of offers from legit contenders.

Playing the waiting game, if that’s what Ray is doing, is risky business IMO. If that’s not the case, then it’s Hall’s camp who is playing that game and I’d do the same.

We are not getting a Stone like return for Hall at the deadline, that type of deal would’ve possible during the offseason. The perfect partner, IMO, would’ve been Colorado but who knows if Hall would’ve resigned there. The Avs have one of the healthiest prospect pools and their time is now. Their superstars are locked up to discount deals, outside of pending RFA Rantanen.
I do not agree with the bolded. IMO the riskiest thing the Devils could do is sign Hall to a 13% of cap type of contract and have him underperform the contract right away. IMO Hall has only had one season in the last 5 that I would consider worthy of a 13% of cap player. I would prefer Hall walk for nothing than have us give a long term deal that he will be underperforming early on. I do not want a bad contract to Hall hurting Nico, Hughes, etc chances of being a legit contender in the future.

It would not surprise me if Hall gets off to a slow start. His MVP season was the first season he started working on his game in late May. He could not do that this off season due to rehabbing his injury. He could have another season like 14-15, 15-16, or 16-17. Hall will not command a 13% of cap contract IMO if he has another season like those.

I am very comfortable going into the season with Hall unsigned.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I do not agree with the bolded. IMO the riskiest thing the Devils could do is sign Hall to a 13% of cap type of contract and have him underperform the contract right away. IMO Hall has only had one season in the last 5 that I would consider worthy of a 13% of cap player. I would prefer Hall walk for nothing than have us give a long term deal that he will be underperforming early on. I do not want a bad contract to Hall hurting Nico, Hughes, etc chances of being a legit contender in the future.

It would not surprise me if Hall gets off to a slow start. His MVP season was the first season he started working on his game in late May. He could not do that this off season due to rehabbing his injury. He could have another season like 14-15, 15-16, or 16-17. Hall will not command a 13% of cap contract IMO if he has another season like those.

I am very comfortable going into the season with Hall unsigned.

I can see him starting slow because of the knee but I still think he'll score more than the seasons before 17-18 simply due to having SO much more talent around him than he's ever had and the increase in scoring league wide

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That "rumor" is pretty hilarious

If that happens, I'm positive Zacha will be traded. There's no way we trade 3 first rounders

We are really deep at the C position so Zacha becomes expandable. Not that I want to see him traded though

If the right deal comes along then sure but having Zacha as the 3C down the road would be ideal. Zajac has still played really well but he is 34

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’d give up 3 first rounders for laine in a second. You guys really have no idea how worthless what SHOULD be late first rounders are when you are entering a win now mode.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I’d give up 3 first rounders for laine in a second. You guys really have no idea how worthless what SHOULD be late first rounders are when you are entering a win now mode.

so, what would be the scenario where this could work? assuming the 3 1sts and sevs go that way…….is hall traded for some D depth? or is he still here signing long term and the team just deals with nico and hughes contracts when that bridge needs to be crossed along with having laine……

….i feel it would turn into what dubas is dealing with with tavares, mathews, marner, nylander situation…..

…..just off the top of my head thinking right now……..got a steak on the bbq going and had a few minute to kill here on the board/

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd strongly consider making the trade. It would not be a slam dunk, I'd definitely have to think, but I can see the merits to doing it. You are obviously projecting these picks to be all in the playoff team range so with that I can see an argument.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If we aren't getting a young, number one D man, I'm not giving up 3 firsts. I don't care if they "should" to be late firsts. That's a huge "should". I don't think we are competing for anything more than, at best, a first round playoff win. That is less likely than us missing, frankly. Laine does not put us over the hump. We still need to round out the defense. It's a much more pressing need.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I can see him starting slow because of the knee but I still think he'll score more than the seasons before 17-18 simply due to having SO much more talent around him than he's ever had and the increase in scoring league wide
I hope you are right. I am expecting a slow start from the team in general due to Hall starting slow and the new players getting used to the NHL but expecting a strong push starting about a third or so into the season.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
there aren’t any blue chip d men on the market honestly. If there was then yeah by all means go and get them instead. But just because laine isn’t a d man doesn’t mean you don’t investigate getting him here. He will improve the team and that’s what matters most. The goal is to improve the team.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If we aren't getting a young, number one D man, I'm not giving up 3 firsts. I don't care if they "should" to be late firsts. That's a huge "should". I don't think we are competing for anything more than, at best, a first round playoff win. That is less likely than us missing, frankly. Laine does not put us over the hump. We still need to round out the defense. It's a much more pressing need.

A first round playoff win puts the pick in the 20s if this team with laine doesn’t do better then that? Well then we got a long way to go and probably shouldn’t have brought in suban and should look into dealing hall since the timeline you mention don’t jive

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
After getting PK Subban for relatively nothing, the Devils cannot afford to add another Subban. That is, they cannot afford to add another player who is paid like a star who may not be one.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
A first round playoff win puts the pick in the 20s if this team with laine doesn’t do better then that? Well then we got a long way to go and probably shouldn’t have brought in suban and should look into dealing hall since the timeline you mention don’t jive

While a pick around 20 is no slam dunk, it’s also not worthless. There are stars and really good players that come from there.

So the Devils give up 1 really good value contract and 3 chances at high value contracts in return for a great player whose contract will likely be fair value.

In a cap world where the Devils are running out of cap space, I think that’s a tough move to make. You need cheap talent coming in to replace guys you lose due to cap constraints.

Reactions: Oneiro and Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
While a pick around 20 is no slam dunk, it’s also not worthless. There are stars and really good players that come from there.

So the Devils give up 1 really good value contract and 3 chances at high value contracts in return for a great player whose contract will likely be fair value.

In a cap world where the Devils are running out of cap space, I think that’s a tough move to make. You need cheap talent coming in to replace guys you lose due to cap constraints.

You can go from cap paradise to cap hell super quick and adding Laine then re-signing Hall 100% puts us on the road to cap hell

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
@Bleedred

The word from 2 sources in NJ, is that the Devils are all in on an attempt to acquire Patrick Laine in deal that makes the Taylor Hall trade look like child's play.

I have just been informed that the Devils have offered 3 of their next 4, first round draft picks along with 25 year old, right shot Defenceman, Damon Severson for Jets sniper, Patrick Laine.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad