Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I’m not going to go over why adding Laine would make a lot of sense for our franchise moving forward because I’ve said so numerous times but I am going to say that picks are very overrated when you have a foundation of youngsters like Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Smith, Boqvist, Zacha, Wood, Butcher, Blackwood, etc...

The window to add star talent is now since most of the guys I mentioned are on ELC or about to get bridge deals. We drafted a boatload of prospect over the past couple of years and our farm system is looking pretty damn good atm.

I’ve seen several contending teams move their 1st round pick over consecutive years for rentals at the deadline, only to see those players sign elsewhere the second they became free agents. We on the other hand would be doing the same but we’d be keeping our guy for the next 6 to 8 years, if not more, if he signs a bridge deal as well.

Stating that we can’t move our picks because we need to upgrade our defence is another point I don’t necessarily agree with. Not that upgrading our d-line isn’t a must but we’ve seen first hand what happens when drafting for need instead of taking the BPA. There’s no guarantee that we’ll be picking a dman when it’ll be our time to step to the podium.

The way I see it, we'd be adding a 2nd overall pick, which is now a know commodity, for 3 first rounders that will possibly be in the early 20’s and are more question marks then anything else when they’ll get drafted and Severson.

With all of that said, I wouldn’t think too long before pulling the trigger.

Hischier should absolutely not get a bridge deal.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Your talking about Hughes the universal 1 pick against kids some drafted two years ago in the 15 range and haven’t played in the nhl? Yeah you got me there

Caulfield set the record for USNTDP goals. Brannstrom was great as a 19 year old in the AHL. Trading them alone + Severson would be moronic let alone adding in another first

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Well that was a good troll, rumor monger reads the team thread here, sees all the Laine talk, comes up with something even more outrageous to set everyone off, job well done :P

Thank you to everyone for all the hits to my website!

I hope you all also enjoyed my greatest hits of ...

Rumor - Taylor Hall traded
Rumor - Ryan Ellis traded

Wait, what? Those trades didn’t happen either? :sarcasm:

Reactions: glenwo2

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
With Greene and Vatanen coming off the books you could. Not in the $12 million range, but around $8 million which might be in the Laine bridge deal area. That’s especially the case if the cap goes up as much as people think either next year or the year after.

a couple of us figured out we were able to add between $13-15 million of "new" longterm money this summer and still be able to keep everyone we wanted. Subban and Gusev basically covers that.

Now, if you wanna say they will let Vatanen walk (which they might), that opens a tad more money but probably not realistically enough to add another $8 million player on top of re-signing Hall

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You have the hypothesis wrong...people aren’t keeping picks to draft d-men neccesarily. They would much rather trade them for an established d-man. Or use some of the cap space we would lose in the trade to get another high-priced defenseman a la Subban.

And no team has moved three or four firsts in that short a time frame, even the win now teams. Tampa, Chicago et al didn’t get their rosters by trading firsts en masse the minute they became a bubble team.

Blowing the war chest on a winger, even a talented one like Laine would be like trading a ton of firsts for a wide receiver in the NFL.

That’s really different because 1st rounders in football have more value. Again so you wait wait wait wait and that d man never comes long what do you do then

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Caulfield set the record for USNTDP goals. Brannstrom was great as a 19 year old in the AHL. Trading them alone + Severson would be moronic let alone adding in another first

Lol ok so yes they haven’t done anything. Ok

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I’m not going to go over why adding Laine would make a lot of sense for our franchise moving forward because I’ve said so numerous times but I am going to say that picks are very overrated when you have a foundation of youngsters like Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Smith, Boqvist, Zacha, Wood, Butcher, Blackwood, etc...

The window to add star talent is now since most of the guys I mentioned are on ELC or about to get bridge deals. We drafted a boatload of prospect over the past couple of years and our farm system is looking pretty damn good atm.

I’ve seen several contending teams move their 1st round pick over consecutive years for rentals at the deadline, only to see those players sign elsewhere the second they became free agents. We on the other hand would be doing the same but we’d be keeping our guy for the next 6 to 8 years, if not more, if he signs a bridge deal as well.

Stating that we can’t move our picks because we need to upgrade our defence is another point I don’t necessarily agree with. Not that upgrading our d-line isn’t a must but we’ve seen first hand what happens when drafting for need instead of taking the BPA. There’s no guarantee that we’ll be picking a dman when it’ll be our time to step to the podium.

The way I see it, we'd be adding a 2nd overall pick, which is now a know commodity, for 3 first rounders that will possibly be in the early 20’s and are more question marks then anything else when they’ll get drafted and Severson.

With all of that said, I wouldn’t think too long before pulling the trigger.
Laine is currently an RFA. If I remember correctly up to around $8.4 million AAV requires a 1st, 2nd and 3rd as compensation. While the Devils could not offer him that contract because they do not have the 2nd and 3rd, no team that has those picks has chosen to offer Laine a contract for $8.4 million or so. Why would the Devils up the ante to 3 firsts plus Severson when nobody has chosen to offer a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and a $8.4 million or so AAV contract for him?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Laine is currently an RFA. If I remember correctly up to around $8.4 million AAV requires a 1st, 2nd and 3rd as compensation. While the Devils could not offer him that contract because they do not have the 2nd and 3rd, no team that has those picks has chosen to offer Laine a contract for $8.4 million or so. Why would the Devils up the ante to 3 firsts plus Severson when nobody has chosen to offer a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and a $8.4 million or so AAV contract for him?

Get out of here with your logic!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Because f*** logic. Terrible asset management and adding a guy just to add a guy is totally what we should do

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

So your saying you wouldn’t trade a first second and third for a signed laine at 8.4 million? It sounds like that’s what your saying. Is it?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So your saying you wouldn’t trade a first second and third for a signed laine at 8.4 million? It sounds like that’s what your saying. Is it?

How is that what you took away? His point is if Laine's deal would be 8.4 and no one is willing to get him for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd then why should we offer 3 firsts and Severson.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)

What do you mean "huh?"

You just replied to a post by Chicks who stated just that.
PVuS3Dw.gif

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
How is that what you took away? His point is if Laine's deal would be 8.4 and no one is willing to get him for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd then why should we offer 3 firsts and Severson.

Yes or no would you? The obvious answer is of course so why don’t gm offer up that for a rfa? Because that’s just what they do they don’t do offer sheets. He’s obviously worth the payment right? So what do you think is the reason

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yes or no would you? The obvious answer is of course so why don’t gm offer up that for a rfa? Because that’s just what they do they don’t do offer sheets. He’s obviously worth the payment right? So what do you think is the reason

The reason doesn't matter. Ray can point to no one offering and say that it wouldn't make sense for him to offer more. Even if Chevy wants to counter by saying it's because offer sheets rarely happen that wouldn't make the price jump from 1st, 2nd and 3rd to 3 1sts+top 4 dman.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Because I am responding to your post? o_O

What kind of question is that?

BTW, see my edit above that you missed.

Context is everything.

Yeah I see the edit with my name taken off it. Thanks.

To answer the question too he was talking about why don’t other teams who can offer sheet him do it. Not the devils since they can’t. Come on man

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Yeah I see the edit with my name taken off it. Thanks.

To answer the question too he was talking about why don’t other teams who can offer sheet him do it. Not the devils since they can’t. Come on man

Really?

39j6o8.jpg

This is what I see.

You sure you don't have me on ignore or something?

It's odd that you claim I took your name off when I did no such thing. #PleaseDoNotLie

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The reason doesn't matter. Ray can point to no one offering and say that it wouldn't make sense for him to offer more. Even if Chevy wants to counter by saying it's because offer sheets rarely happen that wouldn't make the price jump from 1st, 2nd and 3rd to 3 1sts+top 4 dman.

I’m sure if someone offersheeted what you put the jets would match it quickly. Probably why teams don’t want to expose themselves and haven’t done it yet. Thus why the trade would have to have more value for the jets to want to do it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Really?

39j6o8.jpg

This is what I see.

You sure you don't have me on ignore or something?

It's odd that you claim I took your name off when I did no such thing.

Yeah it’s weird I don’t see any more mention of “our good friend jrfischer54 to pick up where he left off” you can delete it but I saw it lol.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yea that, or it is possible that Laine turned down offer sheets for that range already as well, because we don't necessarily hear about them if they aren't signed. So that could also be why we aren't hearing about much trade chatter either, because GMs might be getting the idea of what he is asking for and realizing its not worth the risk to trade for him even more so. Just speculation.

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad