Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
After getting PK Subban for relatively nothing, the Devils cannot afford to add another Subban. That is, they cannot afford to add another player who is paid like a star who may not be one.

Even assuming a big contract for Hall, the Devils can afford one more big ticket item for at least three years. And even after that, they probably can resort to doing what Washington and Chicago has to do to shed salary if necessary. So far as Laine is concerned, you could give him the bridge contract he supposedly wants. You could trade him at the end of that (albeit at a discount) if necessary. Whether he is “overpaid” only matters if there are other moves to be made that you think make more sense. From my standpoint having a guy like him on Hughes’ wing seems to be something you can’t say no to, although that’s only based on his reputation.

Whatever the case, this was the same guy who said a Marner offersheet was imminent two months ago, so it’s obviously made up. I’ll guess that if the Devils want anyone from Winnipeg, it’s Dylan Samberg. He’s made some rumblings that he’ll go the Adam Fox route, and a large part of the Devils draft strategy was to find one or two players like him. Having his college teammate (Joey Anderson) in the organization might help too.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gotta pay to play.

Sorry to dash people who watched moneyball

You have to spend correctly and manage your assets correctly. Giving up 3 firsts and a top 4 dman for Laine is not managing your assets correctly. Giving Laine that money isn't the best use of the cap either when it could be better spent on the defense

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Even assuming a big contract for Hall, the Devils can afford one more big ticket item for at least three years. And even after that, they probably can resort to doing what Washington and Chicago has to do to shed salary if necessary. So far as Laine is concerned, you could give him the bridge contract he supposedly wants. You could trade him at the end of that (albeit at a discount) if necessary. Whether he is “overpaid” only matters if there are other moves to be made that you think make more sense. From my standpoint having a guy like him on Hughes’ wing seems to be something you can’t say no to, although that’s only based on his reputation.

Whatever the case, this was the same guy who said a Marner offersheet was imminent two months ago, so it’s obviously made up. I’ll guess that if the Devils want anyone from Winnipeg, it’s Dylan Samberg. He’s made some rumblings that he’ll go the Adam Fox route, and a large part of the Devils draft strategy was to find one or two players like him. Having his college teammate (Joey Anderson) in the organization might help too.

no they really cannot. Especially if Hall is signed.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
While a pick around 20 is no slam dunk, it’s also not worthless. There are stars and really good players that come from there.

So the Devils give up 1 really good value contract and 3 chances at high value contracts in return for a great player whose contract will likely be fair value.

In a cap world where the Devils are running out of cap space, I think that’s a tough move to make. You need cheap talent coming in to replace guys you lose due to cap constraints.

Sigh

Who do you think will have the best player out of the 4? The devils laine or the jets and the 3 first rounders? Think there is a player equal or better then laine in that pack? Ok say there is then Then the trade at that point is even laine for similar type player. The jets would have to find another quality player in the next two drafts to swing the trade their way. Keep in mind a player taken that late is probably 2 years away from playing so it’s quiet possible that the 3rd player selected won’t see nhl ice until 2024! Lol and you think that has value when the salary cap will probably be a lot higher then what it is now lol.

Keep worrying about the future and you will never get anywhere in the present.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well that was a good troll, rumor monger reads the team thread here, sees all the Laine talk, comes up with something even more outrageous to set everyone off, job well done :P

Reactions: glenwo2

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Sigh

Who do you think will have the best player out of the 4? The devils laine or the jets and the 3 first rounders? Think there is a player equal or better then laine in that pack? Ok say there is then Then the trade at that point is even laine for similar type player. The jets would have to find another quality player in the next two drafts to swing the trade their way. Keep in mind a player taken that late is probably 2 years away from playing so it’s quiet possible that the 3rd player selected won’t see nhl ice until 2024! Lol and you think that has value when the salary cap will probably be a lot higher then what it is now lol.

Let's say we'll be average the next 3 years because who knows what'll happen and I think average is fair. Go look at the middle 1st rounders for the last 3 years. Caulfield/Newhook, Denisenko/Kaut, Brannstrom/Valimaki. Then imagine adding in a top 4dman on top of that. If we were an elite team and this was a move that could put us over the top then sure but we aren't. This would be beyond a stupid move

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You have to spend correctly and manage your assets correctly. Giving up 3 firsts and a top 4 dman for Laine is not managing your assets correctly. Giving Laine that money isn't the best use of the cap either when it could be better spent on the defense

So again any early 20 year old d men coming to the market any time soon? Probably not. So team shouldn’t improve itself if the opportunity presents itself? Okie dokie.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sigh

But if you don’t worry about the future at all you wind up spinning your wheels with desperation moves. It’s less black and white than you make it out to be, there is a balance between going for it now and being responsible. Plus you don’t know how easy or hard things will be in terms of the cap after the next CBA.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Let's say we'll be average the next 3 years because who knows what'll happen and I think average is fair. Go look at the middle 1st rounders for the last 3 years. Caulfield/Newhook, Denisenko/Kaut, Brannstrom/Valimaki. Then imagine adding in a top 4dman on top of that. If we were an elite team and this was a move that could put us over the top then sure but we aren't. This would be beyond a stupid move

Average? Uh ok even avaerage have any of those players mentioned done anything? Have they even played in the nhl yet?

Reactions: Taylor Hall

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
But if you don’t worry about the future at all you wind up spinning your wheels with desperation moves. It’s less black and white than you make it out to be, there is a balance between going for it now and being responsible. Plus you don’t know how easy or hard things will be in terms of the cap after the next CBA.

No one saying not to worry about the future. The devils are allowed to trade players away you know.

We don’t have to keep nico bratt palm wood (examples) we can trade if stuff isn’t working out you know.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So again any early 20 year old d men coming to the market any time soon? Probably not. So team shouldn’t improve itself if the opportunity presents itself? Okie dokie.

You have no clue if a good dman will be on the market. Why does it have to be a 20 year old? Prematurely making a move especially one as dumb as giving up 3 firsts AND trading away the very position we're lacking in makes no senes at all.

Average? Uh ok even avaerage have any of those players mentioned done anything? Have they even played in the nhl yet?

Yeah who cares about Jack Hughes or Nikita Gusev. Guys are trash they've never even played in the NHL before. We should deal both of them for Laine

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
It honestly irks me that there are people who WOULD trade THREE FIRSTS and our 2nd best DMan for a winger (who is due for a bloated contract)

thank God some of ya'll aren't in charge.

don't worry. we're not that far off from having the devils back, and then having big east basketball back on top of it to distract us from the cold devils takes.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I’m not going to go over why adding Laine would make a lot of sense for our franchise moving forward because I’ve said so numerous times but I am going to say that picks are very overrated when you have a foundation of youngsters like Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Smith, Boqvist, Zacha, Wood, Butcher, Blackwood, etc...

The window to add star talent is now since most of the guys I mentioned are on ELC or about to get bridge deals. We drafted a boatload of prospect over the past couple of years and our farm system is looking pretty damn good atm.

I’ve seen several contending teams move their 1st round pick over consecutive years for rentals at the deadline, only to see those players sign elsewhere the second they became free agents. We on the other hand would be doing the same but we’d be keeping our guy for the next 6 to 8 years, if not more, if he signs a bridge deal as well.

Stating that we can’t move our picks because we need to upgrade our defence is another point I don’t necessarily agree with. Not that upgrading our d-line isn’t a must but we’ve seen first hand what happens when drafting for need instead of taking the BPA. There’s no guarantee that we’ll be picking a dman when it’ll be our time to step to the podium.

The way I see it, we'd be adding a 2nd overall pick, which is now a know commodity, for 3 first rounders that will possibly be in the early 20’s and are more question marks then anything else when they’ll get drafted and Severson.

With all of that said, I wouldn’t think too long before pulling the trigger.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

How much does the team improve itself this year by adding another winger, losing a defenseman, and losing cap space?

If Laine’s contract ends up being an overpayment or Hall’s is bad; did the team win enough this year and next to balance out the lack of new and cheap talent that won’t enter the team for the 3 years after? How much money will be wasted overpaying UFAs at that point?

We rarely see teams sign RFAs and possibly give up 4 first round picks because it’s so harmful long term, even if helpful short term. I think Severson helps near term and is worth more than 1 first round pick so I think this is even worse than 4 first round picks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You have no clue if a good dman will be on the market. Why does it have to be a 20 year old? Prematurely making a move especially one as dumb as giving up 3 firsts AND trading away the very position we're lacking in makes no senes at all.

Yeah at best you’re only fixing one position (scoring wing) at the cost of another (top four D). If it was just a matter of trading them one for one you could make that argument since Laine has a higher ceiling, but one for one PLUS three firsts? Forget it, if we’re spending that type of capital it better be for another defenseman, not trading one away and picks for a winger.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’m not going to go over why adding Laine would make a lot of sense for our franchise moving forward because I’ve said so numerous times but I am going to say that picks are very overrated when you have a foundation of youngsters like Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Smith, Boqvist, Zacha, Wood, Butcher, Blackwood, etc...

The window to add star talent is now since most of the guys I mentioned are on ELC or about to get bridge deals. We drafted a boatload of prospect over the past couple of years and our farm system is looking pretty damn good atm.

I’ve seen several contending teams move their 1st round pick over consecutive years for rentals at the deadline, only to see those players sign elsewhere the second they became free agents. We on the other hand would be doing the same but we’d be keeping our guy for the next 6 to 8 years, if not more, if he signs a bridge deal as well.

Stating that we can’t move our picks because we need to upgrade our defence is another point I don’t necessarily agree with. Not that upgrading our d-line isn’t a must but we’ve seen first hand what happens when drafting for need instead of taking the BPA. There’s no guarantee that we’ll be picking a dman when it’ll be our time to step to the podium.

The way I see it, we'd be adding a 2nd overall pick, which is now a know commodity, for 3 first rounders that will possibly be in the early 20’s and are more question marks then anything else when they’ll get drafted and Severson.

With all of that said, I wouldn’t think too long before pulling the trigger.

The Rangers just got a 25 year old top pairing dman for a 20th overall pick and a terrible dman...

Reactions: NJDevs26

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Yeah who cares about Jack Hughes or Nikita Gusev. Guys are trash they've never even played in the NHL before. We should deal both of them for Laine

Your talking about Hughes the universal 1 pick against kids some drafted two years ago in the 15 range and haven’t played in the nhl? Yeah you got me there

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
no they really cannot. Especially if Hall is signed.

With Greene and Vatanen coming off the books you could. Not in the $12 million range, but around $8 million which might be in the Laine bridge deal area. That’s especially the case if the cap goes up as much as people think either next year or the year after.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

You have the hypothesis wrong...people aren’t keeping picks to draft d-men neccesarily. They would much rather trade them for an established d-man. Or use some of the cap space we would lose in the trade to get another high-priced defenseman a la Subban.

And no team has moved three or four firsts in that short a time frame, even the win now teams. Tampa, Chicago et al didn’t get their rosters by trading firsts en masse the minute they became a bubble team.

Blowing the war chest on a winger, even a talented one like Laine would be like trading a ton of firsts for a wide receiver in the NFL.

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad