Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm not sure what you mean as Shane Wright literally played in the AHL, as I'm suggesting with Yak could in my post.
Yes he did 2 years ago, Seattle spread out his 8-9 games until the WJC, sent him to WJC then back to junior. Which included a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL, between opening night and WJC.

I was just saying the 8-9 games doesn’t have to be consecutive games,

He could do every second or third NHL game, AHL conditioning, WJC and 20 games in WHL.

Just saying more options than A or B if he stays up.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Sens have the longest stretch of no playoffs in the league.

We always lose the season in the first 10-20 games.

History shows us we most likely aren't going to make the playoffs.

For that reason I think we should play Yakemchuk this year. Get him 9 games and in a year or two he might actually help us win games in October and November.
Buffalo has the longest # of seasons of not making the playoffs at this time. I think the Senators are in 3rd place on that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yes he did 2 years ago, Seattle spread out his 8-9 games until the WJC, sent him to WJC then back to junior. Which included a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL, between opening night and WJC.

I was just saying the 8-9 games doesn’t have to be consecutive games,

He could do every second or third NHL game, AHL conditioning, WJC and 20 games in WHL.

Just saying more options than A or B if he stays up.

Keeping him up like this sounds like Dorion no plan, plan.

Send him back to Junior, he’s had a great camp but he’s not NHL ready yet

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Against really, really, really tough opponents though.

Florida, Montreal, LA, NJ, TB, Colorado, St Louis, NYR and Seattle.

That's an indoctrination by fire.
Montreal isn't a tough opponent.

LA is so-so and the Blues aren't world beaters.

I don't think Yak should start against the Panthers, but they can manage his opponents until they are comfortable.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Montreal isn't a tough opponent.

LA is so-so and the Blues aren't world beaters.

I don't think Yak should start against the Panthers, but they can manage his opponents until they are comfortable.
LA will be tough, so will St.Louis. I didn't feel like omitting Montreal though, so you're right there.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Keeping him up like this sounds like Dorion no plan, plan.

Send him back to Junior, he’s had a great camp but he’s not NHL ready yet
How can you watch him and declare that?

Preseason is very different but he is top scoring D and tied for 5th in scoring overall, while not looking completely lost defensively.

He absolutely deserves to stay for some regular season games and see what he can do. More reps in an NHL practice, with video review, etc will also benefit him.

Lots of time to decide if he goes down to junior or not. It isn’t rushing a guy if he can compete and usually it is the physical side of the game that is too much for rookies, but he is physically capable.

LA will be tough, so will St.Louis. I didn't feel like omitting Montreal though, so you're right there.
I mean they are NHL teams so they are all hard matchups but he needs to be tested against them.

Oct 10, 2010
Not many easy games - I don’t think opponent matters much it’s the NHL every game is a challenge.

He’s either ready or he isn’t - frankly he deserves to be playing opening night.

Last edited:

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
If he starts to get exposed alot he will lose confidence we all want to see him play more but he just turned 19 he will get here just be glad it was a good pick and it looks like he will have a bright future give him time

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Habs fan chiming in, Yakemchuk looks really good, I think he should get some NHL games as a reward, plus it will show him what he should expect to better prepare him for the next season.

Good luck with him, kinda wish we had him and Michkov rn!

Reactions: OmniSens

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
How can you watch him and declare that?

Preseason is very different but he is top scoring D and tied for 5th in scoring overall, while not looking completely lost defensively.

He absolutely deserves to stay for some regular season games and see what he can do. More reps in an NHL practice, with video review, etc will also benefit him.

Lots of time to decide if he goes down to junior or not. It isn’t rushing a guy if he can compete and usually it is the physical side of the game that is too much for rookies, but he is physically capable.

I mean they are NHL teams so they are all hard matchups but he needs to be tested against them.

You sound like Brian Burke in his Toronto’s days spewing the amazing pre season
stats as a reason for why they traded for Phil Kessel - I love Yakemchuk, a called they would draft him on the draft board 2 months before the draft. But he’s not ready yet. He’s ready in the offensive zone, he’s not ready to play defence yet

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If he stays up I would live to see him stapled to Sanderson's hip.

Jake would give him a ton of confidence to be creative offensively and cover up any rookie mistakes.

Also makes the bottom paring look much better.

Which is low key the reason why I'd want to have the pairs like this. But also to give Chabot a good partner, nothing against Jensen but Zub is younger and better. They were excellent together in 2021-22 and 2022-23. And finally, Sanderson is going to reach another level, best situation for Yakemchuk.

Like most, I didn't expect Yak to be this good that fast. We're lucky but his game seems super transferable to the NHL.

Reactions: Dionysus

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Which is low key the reason why I'd want to have the pairs like this. But also to give Chabot a good partner, nothing against Jensen but Zub is younger and better. They were excellent together in 2021-22 and 2022-23. And finally, Sanderson is going to reach another level, best situation for Yakemchuk.

Like most, I didn't expect Yak to be this good that fast. We're lucky but his game seems super transferable to the NHL.

Could even have Sanderson with Yak for offensive starts, then Jensen jump up with Sanderson situationally.

Sanderson is going to play big minutes, more than either a Rookie Yak, or 34 year old Jensen are capable of.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
You sound like Brian Burke in his Toronto’s days spewing the amazing pre season
stats as a reason for why they traded for Phil Kessel - I love Yakemchuk, a called they would draft him on the draft board 2 months before the draft. But he’s not ready yet. He’s ready in the offensive zone, he’s not ready to play defence yet
Sure?

You sound like a guy who has been burned before and is now afraid that EVERY time things won't work out.

He looks great, and if you don't see that then there isn't much for us to continue the conversation about. If you are picking up what I am saying it is just let it play out. Absolutely zero reason to send him down now.

Let him hang out, practice, etc...see what the regular season is all about. At any point they can send him down.

Not sure why you need him gone yesterday.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
If he plays he pushes both JBD and Hamonic out of the lineup. That would be amazing.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Yak
Kleven-Jensen

Limit and shelter Kleven and Yak’s minutes.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Most recent defensemen who played in the NHL at 18 (>30 games)

Rasmus Dahlin
Aaron Ekblad
Noah Hanifin
Jakob Chychrun
Brent Burns

What do they all have in common? Size.

*Edit: Just realized Yakemchuk is already 19. The list really expands if you add 19 year olds. Guys like Heiskanen, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Sergachev, Werenski, Lindholm, Rielly, Jones, Hedman, etc.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sure?

You sound like a guy who has been burned before and is now afraid that EVERY time things won't work out.

He looks great, and if you don't see that then there isn't much for us to continue the conversation about. If you are picking up what I am saying it is just let it play out. Absolutely zero reason to send him down now.

Let him hang out, practice, etc...see what the regular season is all about. At any point they can send him down.

Not sure why you need him gone yesterday.

Yakemchuk looks look, lots of things look good that aren’t ready, it’s like eating a chicken that’s only raw around the leg joints, it’s 95% cooked and looks golden ready but it can actually kill you and ruin your entire families - and it only needed another 8 minutes in the oven but you weren’t patient enough and now we are planning a funeral

If our chances of making the playoffs depended on a 19 year old Dman who was -9 in the WHL last year we are not going to make the playoffs by a large margin.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Most recent defensemen who played in the NHL at 18 (>30 games)

Rasmus Dahlin
Aaron Ekblad
Noah Hanifin
Jakob Chychrun
Brent Burns

What do they all have in common? Size.

*Edit: Just realized Yakemchuk is already 19. The list really expands if you add 19 year olds. Guys like Heiskanen, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Sergachev, Werenski, Lindholm, Rielly, Jones, Hedman, etc.

Better to fo with Draft year...

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Yakemchuk looks look, lots of things look good that aren’t ready, it’s like eating a chicken that’s only raw around the leg joints, it’s 95% cooked and looks golden ready but it can actually kill you and ruin your entire families - and it only needed another 8 minutes in the oven but you weren’t patient enough and now we are planning a funeral

If our chances of making the playoffs depended on a 19 year old Dman who was -9 in the WHL last year we are not going to make the playoffs by a large margin.

Things either are ready or they are not. If he looks good through 9 nhl regular season games, then he is ready. If he doesn't, send him down.

It's almost like the CBA gave us an additional mechanism to see if young CHL players are ready or not...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Things either are ready or they are not. If he looks good through 9 nhl regular season games, then he is ready. If he doesn't, send him down.

It's almost like the CBA gave us an additional mechanism to see if young CHL players are ready or not...

That’s what I am saying, he’s not ready, I dont need to see more.he’s not ready to play NHL games off the rush yet, he’s not strong enough and his just not agile enough

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
That’s what I am saying, he’s not ready, I dont need to see more.he’s not ready to play NHL games off the rush yet, he’s not strong enough and his just not agile enough

I see something different. He put up 7 points in 4 games and looked fine defensively.

That was preseason so it still leaves question marks.

Good thing we have 9 games to evaluate him further - for this EXACT reason.

I'll stay agnostic on whether he is ready or not until I have seen him play a few (or 9) games in the NHL.

Point is, you or I don't know if he is ready yet. So use the mechanism given to us to evaluate it.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I see something different. He put up 7 points in 4 games and looked fine defensively.

That was preseason so it still leaves question marks.

Good thing we have 9 games to evaluate him further - for this EXACT reason.

I'll stay agnostic on whether he is ready or not until I have seen him play a few (or 9) games in the NHL.

Point is, you or I don't know if he is ready yet. So use the mechanism given to us to evaluate it.

There are no rules, you can evaluate him for 10 games, 30 games, 81 games and send him back to Junior.

My point is regular season isn’t a time to evaluate, it’s a time to win, his game isn’t NHL ready. His offensive game he’s the 2nd best on the team but he can’t play off the rush.

keeping him feels like a Dorion plan, your sold 100% on the sizzle and not the steak

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
There are no rules, you can evaluate him for 10 games, 30 games, 81 games and send him back to Junior.

My point is regular season isn’t a time to evaluate, it’s a time to win, his game isn’t NHL ready. His offensive game he’s the 2nd best on the team but he can’t play off the rush.

keeping him feels like a Dorion plan, your sold 100% on the sizzle and not the steak

There are rules. 9 games is a mechanism to evaluate younger CHL players longer than just the preseason without negative implications

He has played well enough on both sides of the puck to be afforded than opportunity.

Being in the NHL may very much be what is best for his development. Better coaching, better training and development staff, bigger faster opposition as well as better linemates. Maybe it isn't and going back is the better route.

I just don't want the team to make a final decision until they have a better look at where he is - at full NHL speed.

He has earned that through his play and he should only stay up the year if he continues to earn it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad