Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
you guys realize that if you don’t care about the discussion you have the option of talking about something else, right? nobody’s stopping you

You realize we have the option of complaining about someone's obsession with Laine being traded for basically peanuts and thinking everyone should agree with him, right?

This is a messageboard / forum, not an echo chamber. :skeptic:

(Do you ever directly respond to anything I post? Just curious)

(EDIT : I guess you answered my question or you're just purposely ignoring me. *shrugs* )

Last edited:

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
2 weeks until the first preseason game, thank god. I need some Devils hockey back in my life again.

We all do.

While this offseason has been, imo, a resounding success (starting from the Drafting of Hughes to the signing of Subban) thus far, I'm looking forward to see some Devils Hockey finally.

Let's hope that the final domino falls (Taylor Hall getting re-signed) so we can move forward.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
you guys realize that if you don’t care about the discussion you have the option of talking about something else, right? nobody’s stopping you

I never understood why having different opinions often leads to personal attacks while trying to belittle another poster just to get your point across. It’s as if we all have to have the same opinion or else we’re not "real fans".

When you do make valid points, those same posters are nowhere to be seen but the second you "slip up", they can’t wait to let you known about it.

Like you said, if you don’t like the subject or the opinion of someone, just move along.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We all do.

While this offseason has been, imo, a resounding success (starting from the Drafting of Hughes to the signing of Subban) thus far, I'm looking forward to see some Devils Hockey finally.

Let's hope that the final domino falls (Taylor Hall getting re-signed) so we can move forward.

I don’t see Taylor Hall signing an extension with us now, during the season or after the season. He’s less then 12 months away from hitting free agency, I don’t see why he would commit now to a team with several question marks when he can just sit back and analyze the multiple offers he’ll get in July.

If I was in his shoes, I’d be thinking that way and he knows that we’re still going to be there come July 1st, so why not see who else shows up at the dance.

Reactions: BulletTheBlueSky

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I don’t see Taylor Hall signing an extension with us now, during the season or after the season. He’s less then 12 months away from hitting free agency, I don’t see why he would commit now to a team with several question marks when he can just sit back and analyze the multiple offers he’ll get in July.

If I was in his shoes, I’d be thinking that way and he knows that we’re still going to be there come July 1st, so why not see who else shows up at the dance.
In my opinion, if he doesn't sign before the trade deadline Shero should deal him. I would rather miss the playoffs and take the short term hit then lose him for nothing.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If he isn’t signed by the trade deadline, you move him, no questions asked. The Blues did so with Shattenkirk several seasons ago when they were still in a playoff race, shipping him off to Washington if I’m not mistaken, mainly because they had depth on their right side.

We have a lot of depth up front and losing him would definitely hurt but wouldn’t cripple us considering all the assets Shero was able to acquire this offseason. We’re slowly heading in the right direction and having another solid offseason will only push our team forward.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I would definitely trade Hall if he doesn’t sign before the deadline. But I’d be telling him the whole time how much I don’t want to trade him in order to keep the window open of him returning in July

Reactions: glenwo2

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
As much as I like TH, I would’ve preferred for Shero to pull a trade like Ottawa did with Stone, after all the acquisitions he made and still not getting a commitment from him.

Adding a legit blue chip prospect and picks could’ve really helped us in the not too distant future and that fits perfectly with our current core of youngsters.

Trying to convince someone to stay when their mind is halfway made up, isn’t a good thing IMO. I don’t know if that’s the case or not but one would assume that if he wanted to stay, he would’ve signed by now.

Who knows, he might sign his new deal before training camp but it just seems unlikely, for the same reasons I’ve stated earlier.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing a TH trade. Cap management is tough, and the immediate future is uncertain. 1 New Team, New T.V deal, followed by labor talks. That last one might occur sooner rather than later if the players opt out if the CBA. The real core is Nico, Hughes, Boqvist, and Smith.

Liane is an oddity. Epic shooter, and not much more. Average at best in other hockey modalities. Too included his hussle. It was even mentioned in the 31/31 for Winnipeg.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
You realize we have the option of complaining about someone's obsession with Laine being traded for basically peanuts and thinking everyone should agree with him, right?

This is a messageboard / forum, not an echo chamber. :skeptic:

(Do you ever directly respond to anything I post? Just curious)

Yea you do have that option, but you gotta realize sometimes people post things because they can and nothing will change their mind so...you're not going to actually get anything out of it (other than maybe entertainment if that's your thing).

Reactions: glenwo2

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
I agree. I hope we can stop seeing posters called arrogant for disagreements.

Now whatever gave you that idea? :sarcasm:

You make valid points, something that doesn’t happen often by the usual suspects who just like to throw one liners without any arguments to back their arrogant response.

:D :D :D

2 weeks until some Devils Hockey....Can't wait! :)

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I see the deadline for Hall staying or going as December. But because that’s not before the start of the season, the pundits are going to be extremely obnoxious and circling the team like a bunch of vultures.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As much as I like TH, I would’ve preferred for Shero to pull a trade like Ottawa did with Stone, after all the acquisitions he made and still not getting a commitment from him.

Adding a legit blue chip prospect and picks could’ve really helped us in the not too distant future and that fits perfectly with our current core of youngsters.

Trying to convince someone to stay when their mind is halfway made up, isn’t a good thing IMO. I don’t know if that’s the case or not but one would assume that if he wanted to stay, he would’ve signed by now.

Who knows, he might sign his new deal before training camp but it just seems unlikely, for the same reasons I’ve stated earlier.

You said yourself in the other thread that Hall might not be the only reason for the delay. It's entirely possible it's a mutual decision with Shero waiting to see if Hall's healthy and Hall waiting to see if this team's on the right path.

And I don't see what blue chip defensive prospect they're getting for a rental Hall anyway. How many teams are really going to offer the combination of a blue chip prospect they'd be willing to trade and a team Hall would be willing to sign with for the Devils to get said blue chip prospect in the trade?

I agree. I hope we can stop seeing posters called arrogant for disagreements.

If you guys - not you specifically - don't knock off the personally tinged back and forth add-ons to (mostly) legtimate debates, we'll have to clean things up ourselves - in more ways than one.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It would depend completely on the offer. The problem is we'd be getting futures back, whatever contending team that's willing to ante up for Taylor Hall at the deadline isn't going to gut their team to do so. Do we really need more picks and prospects right now?

Even if I had known Parise was leaving, I'd rather have the 2012 run than trading him at the deadline for Brendan Smith + Calle Jarnkrok + 1st or whatever would have seemed like a really great deal at the time.

Getting something back for the sake of getting something back sounds smart on paper, but what message does it send to the team? What message does it send the season ticket holders? What message does it send to any free agent thinking of signing in NJ?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It would depend completely on the offer. The problem is we'd be getting futures back, whatever contending team that's willing to ante up for Taylor Hall at the deadline isn't going to gut their team to do so. Do we really need more picks and prospects right now?

Even if I had known Parise was leaving, I'd rather have the 2012 run than trading him at the deadline for Brendan Smith + Calle Jarnkrok + 1st or whatever would have seemed like a really great deal at the time.

Getting something back for the sake of getting something back sounds smart on paper, but what message does it send to the team? What message does it send the season ticket holders? What message does it send to any free agent thinking of signing in NJ?

It would be a double letdown to trade Hall after they had the offseason they did which seemed to signal a real attempt to take a step forward. Trading Hall would be taking two steps back after a step forward. What, other than marketing would have been the point of getting Subban if they weren't looking to start winning soon? You don't spend assets - albeit nothing that's really gonna gut us on paper to give up - to add a high-priced 30+ guy with the intention of continuing the rebuild throughout his deal.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I see the deadline for Hall staying or going as December. But because that’s not before the start of the season, the pundits are going to be extremely obnoxious and circling the team like a bunch of vultures.

December is way too early. If you're setting a deadline then that deadline has to be the Trade Deadline. Hall should not be moved prematurely if there's still a chance he'd sign. The return we get will in no way justify moving an undecided Hall months before we "have" to

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I mean we aren’t trying to recoup anything we lost from trading for Hall. So is it really the end of the world? I can understand if we traded young assets and picks for Hall and wanted to recoup that because we missed out. But in reality all we dealt was Larrson.

So while I understand everyone’s thoughts on the matter of we are in the middle of a playoff race I’m not trading Hall. If he leaves then he leaves, that’s sports sometimes. Now if we are out of it and there is a good deal to be made that’s a different story.

But making moves doesn’t prove you’re a better hockey team they need to show on the ice they are and I think that’s what Hall is waiting for.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You said yourself in the other thread that Hall might not be the only reason for the delay. It's entirely possible it's a mutual decision with Shero waiting to see if Hall's healthy and Hall waiting to see if this team's on the right path.

And I don't see what blue chip defensive prospect they're getting for a rental Hall anyway. How many teams are really going to offer the combination of a blue chip prospect they'd be willing to trade and a team Hall would be willing to sign with for the Devils to get said blue chip prospect in the trade?

True, Shero might be the one holding things up but I doubt it very much. If he’s somewhat worried about Hall blowing out the same left knee twice in 3 years, his decision should’ve already been made by now. I don’t see what’ll change his mind in the next couple of months.

What I said in another thread was that if Shero is on the fence about resigning Hall because of injuries and he does miss some significant time this year, I don’t see why we would sign him next offseason. If he doesn’t get injured and has the season we all know he can have, he’ll get a boatload of offers from legit contenders.

Playing the waiting game, if that’s what Ray is doing, is risky business IMO. If that’s not the case, then it’s Hall’s camp who is playing that game and I’d do the same.

We are not getting a Stone like return for Hall at the deadline, that type of deal would’ve possible during the offseason. The perfect partner, IMO, would’ve been Colorado but who knows if Hall would’ve resigned there. The Avs have one of the healthiest prospect pools and their time is now. Their superstars are locked up to discount deals, outside of pending RFA Rantanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad