Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
whatever the number ends up being, like I said....I think most people here would love to have him. But I am not sure they would love giving up multiple prime assets AND paying him big $$.

He isn't going to sign for $3 million/year. And we are closing in on the point where we need to start worrying about the salary cap given all the recent moves.

Reactions: glenwo2

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
I'm not so sure about that after Kevin Hayes and Trouba trades.

I said not "THAT" stupid.

I didn't say he wasn't stupid, period.
gfYAAMC.png

Chiarelli was on another level of "stupid" that I don't think Cheveldayoff is.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
whatever the number ends up being, like I said....I think most people here would love to have him. But I am not sure they would love giving up multiple prime assets AND paying him big $$.

He isn't going to sign for $3 million/year. And we are closing in on the point where we need to start worrying about the salary cap given all the recent moves.

Bratt and Severson aren’t prime assets and Laine’s new deal would probably equal the salary of both guys going the other way.

Like Glenwo2 stated earlier, the Jets wouldn’t touch that deal anyways since the return wouldn’t be enough, meaning some of us are overeating our own guys.

The suggestion was mainly to see if we (our board) would contemplate such a move. At the end of the day, the majority wouldn’t do it.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The guy is a goal machine. We need goals to win games. I know we root for the Devils and we sort of implemented the "defence first" mentality into our players but please, can we just expand our horizons a bit and stop with the "he’s not responsible in all 3 zones" stuff.

Why aren’t we saying that about our défense? Severson has been loved by several around here and he can’t play a lick of D. Shouldn’t we apply that same criteria for defenders as well? I keep seeing "just pair him with a defensive dman and watch his game evolve". I’m 100% on board with that notion, I just don’t understand why it can’t be applied to forwards as well.

Holy god you are obnoxious as hell. Damon Severson can’t play a lick of d? Did you get that out of the same magic 8-ball box of goofball facts as your “Laine is a great playmaker” and then (when that got shot down) “Laine is a great passer” hot takes?

You complaining about other people not supporting their arguments has to be one of the most pathetic examples of naked projection I’ve ever seen. You don’t offer any links, stats, or video to support any of your drivel, and you never have anything to say about the links, stats or video posted by anyone else.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Holy god you are obnoxious as hell. Damon Severson can’t play a lick of d? Did you get that out of the same magic 8-ball box of goofball facts as your “Laine is a great playmaker” and then (when that got shot down) “Laine is a great passer” hot takes?

You complaining about other people not supporting their arguments has to be one of the most pathetic examples of naked projection I’ve ever seen. You don’t offer any links, stats, or video to support any of your drivel, and you never have anything to say about the links, stats or video posted by anyone else.

I don’t need a chart or a link to confirm that he’s below average/mediocre in his own zone. If there was a chart or a link for looking lost, leaving your man wide open when looking the other way or making horrible pinches, he’d be on top of that list/pie chart or any other insignificant metric you like to you use other then your own two eyes/common sense. Stats are tools to mesure certain things but if you live and die by them, that’s when you’ll fool yourself. You can have them say whatever you want and that’s when it becomes "dangerous" when trying to make a point.

I admitted that I used the wrong term in regards to Laine when it came to him passing the puck and when I’m wrong, I’ll be the first one to admit.

To each his own I guess, but admitting you’re wrong at times doesn’t make you a weaker person. You can take this advice whichever way you want but it might do wonders for you instead of being agressive when your point isn’t shared by everyone.

Just so you know, I don’t hate the guy, I’ve said this numerous times... Severson is a good 2nd pairing dman with very solid puck skills but he’s below average when having to defend in his own zone. That’s my assessment of his game but you might think otherwise and that’s perfectly fine by me.

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson does constantly lose his man in the defensive zone, but it was a problem that he took a big step in correcting last year. I felt like it happened far less last year than the previous years he’s played in the league.

And that’s actually saying something, considering 18-19 was the most poorly goaltended Devils team (aside from the 48 game season in 2013) since the pre-Brodeur era.

There were people here blaming Severson for something because he turned the puck over on what became the typical garbage softy on one of the two sieves who played most of our games last year.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
You missed this, @Billdo

Bratt and Severson aren’t prime assets and Laine’s new deal would probably equal the salary of both guys going the other way.

Like Glenwo2 stated earlier, the Jets wouldn’t touch that deal anyways since the return wouldn’t be enough, meaning some of us are overeating our own guys.

The suggestion was mainly to see if we (our board) would contemplate such a move. At the end of the day, the majority wouldn’t do it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Darkauron

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

lol

have a tremendous day.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I've been dialed into all the Hurricane forecast models for the past 72 hours so I havent been paying attention to this board

... we are getting Laine now??? :sarcasm:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I was talking with my friend about this the other day, but imagine right after the season ends you just blocked out any hockey news for the rest of the off-season. Hell skip the preseason too. So opening night rolls around and you're just sitting there like oh man let's see what new players we have this year. Opening night's here and you see PK Subban, Jack Hughes, Nikita Gusev and Wayne Simmonds among rookies like Smith and (hopefully) Boqvist. That'd be wild. I think I'd collapse.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I was talking with my friend about this the other day, but imagine right after the season ends you just blocked out any hockey news for the rest of the off-season. Hell skip the preseason too. So opening night rolls around and you're just sitting there like oh man let's see what new players we have this year. Opening night's here and you see PK Subban, Jack Hughes, Nikita Gusev and Wayne Simmonds among rookies like Smith and (hopefully) Boqvist. That'd be wild. I think I'd collapse.

This pretty much used to be my offseason before hfboards about 10 years ago (for me). I never paid attention to the papers or internet articles on what was going on. I also had no idea year after year what rookies we had coming up or players in the AHL.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This pretty much used to be my offseason before hfboards about 10 years ago (for me). I never paid attention to the papers or internet articles on what was going on. I also had no idea year after year what rookies we had coming up or players in the AHL.

Yeah, I imagine it'd be a lot easier doing that a while back. But now I'd just miss you all too much

I'm kidding I hate all of you. Most of you.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
you guys realize that if you don’t care about the discussion you have the option of talking about something else, right? nobody’s stopping you
Illusion of choice. Nothing’s really come up news-wise and somebody posting that tweet about Simmonds didn’t change this asinine conversation about Laine that’s been going on for weeks.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad