Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Unpopular opinion but if Woods agent is being an ass then just trade him, we’ve got decent depth at LW and he could probably return a decent defenceman if we added a little to him.

Miles hasn’t proven nearly enough to justify making negotiations so difficult.

his value is pretty low right now. he’s done well with limited playing time, but the best thing he had going for him is how cost controlled he is...and now, who the hell knows.

he’ll sign eventually, hopefully he puts together a good year with increased value for a potential future deal

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Or you know calling one of our best prospects that has not even played an NHL game not a top prospect for us... hmmmm.... Hell I bet even if he does pretty well people will call him a bust forever. Same way how some people couldnt see the improvement that Zacha made in his game last year

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Or you know calling one of our best prospects that has not even played an NHL game not a top prospect for us... hmmmm.... Hell I bet even if he does pretty well people will call him a bust forever. Same way how some people couldnt see the improvement that Zacha made in his game last year
So since McLeod hasnt played an NHL game that makes him a top prospect?

what does that even mean? McLeod has most certainly underachieved since his draft year. Injuries did him dirty so maybe he can turn it around - but no one can pretend McLeod has been great or even good since his draft day

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
People actively preparing for Brett Seney to take Wood's roster spot if he keeps being a petulant child shouldn't be so confident it will work out well. He's been making a good case so far, but we just don't know if he's going to be an adequate fill-in. It's a risk letting a rookie in his spot. As people have mentioned, Zacha was at his best playing with Wood, and I doubt plugging in a new player on his wing is going to help his development.

Shero needs to start looking for trading partners because this isn't going to end any time soon.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
People actively preparing for Brett Seney to take Wood's roster spot if he keeps being a petulant child shouldn't be so confident it will work out well. He's been making a good case so far, but we just don't know if he's going to be an adequate fill-in. It's a risk letting a rookie in his spot.

Shero needs to start looking for trading partners because this isn't going to end any time soon.

I'd be surprised if Miles is not in camp by Wed

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
People actively preparing for Brett Seney to take Wood's roster spot if he keeps being a petulant child shouldn't be so confident it will work out well. He's been making a good case so far, but we just don't know if he's going to be an adequate fill-in. It's a risk letting a rookie in his spot. As people have mentioned, Zacha was at his best playing with Wood, and I doubt plugging in a new player on his wing is going to help his development.

If Seney makes the team I very much doubt it'll be on Zacha's wing. It looks very likely the top two lines will start out as Hall-Nico-Bratt and MoJo-Zacha-Palms.

Shero doesn't need to look for trading partners. This will sort it self out sooner rather than later.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've seen zero positive indications on the contract front so I'd be surprised if he is. Shero ain't talking and Wood ain't budging.

It almost seems like these agents are in concert trying to change the system with the # of RFA holdouts around the league.

Seney could be this year's Bratt.

It’s amazing that people can know practically nothing of what’s been discussed between the two
parties and then start making assumptions that a player or his agent are being too difficult. It’s a negotiation, nothing in that process is easy.

How complicated is an RFA contract for a decent 3rd-good 4th liner supposed to be?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I just want someone who is a natural RW or right handed winger to play on our right side. I like Bratt, but having Palms go down only leaves us with the Nose. I pray that Joey can step up and play soon.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It almost seems like these agents are in concert trying to change the system with the # of RFA holdouts around the league.

No one is holding out. These players are not under contract. A holdout is when a player is under contract and refuses to report. I doubt very much that agents are in concert doing this, though there may be 2 players with the same agent who are not signing.

How complicated is an RFA contract for a decent 3rd-good 4th liner supposed to be?

It's not, and that's probably the issue.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Dont you also think NJ is a non-playoff team?

Its almost like people have differing opinions

just to clarify, my prediction is that we won’t make the playoffs. saying mcleod isn’t a “top prospect” (depending on what that means, it’s subjective) isn’t an opinion any more than saying zacha is a bust is an opinion. there are tangible values and stats that can support mcleod being one of our top prospects- i’d take it a step further and say that after smith, he has the highest ceiling- as well as evidence to say zacha isn’t a “bust”...not that you said the latter. but both are equally ridiculous to me

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

Seney could be this year's Bratt.
I suppose that's their right, because the NHL is just like MLB when it comes to how little freedom young players have in movement (and, by extension, how much money they make in their young years). Tellingly, though, that's not the issue in upcoming CBA negotiations like it is in baseball, it's boring legalese crap and playing in the Olympics. When we lose another half a season they'll be kicking the can down the road on this issue.

Seney could be another Bratt, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is. All the same, at the NHL level, he's not a known quantity like Wood is. Ideally, we could have both, if Wood just swallowed his pride.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No one is holding out. These players are not under contract. A holdout is when a player is under contract and refuses to report.

Well being under team control and not signing a RFA contract is a semanticial difference from holding out on a signed deal, which doesn't really happen in the NHL. Either way the player should be in camp and isn't. It's just striking the list of RFA's who haven't signed deals that was posted before, I don't remember a list like that in recent years.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
just to clarify, my prediction is that we won’t make the playoffs. saying mcleod isn’t a “top prospect” (depending on what that means, it’s subjective) isn’t an opinion any more than saying zacha is a bust is an opinion. there are tangible values and stats that can support mcleod being one of our top prospects- i’d take it a step further and say that after smith, he has the highest ceiling- as well as evidence to say zacha isn’t a “bust”...not that you said the latter. but both are equally ridiculous to me

Organizationally he is one of OUR top prospects but across the league he's certainly not. I think that's what OP meant.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
My biggest takeaway from the first days of camp is that John Hynes is on a mission and he's not messing around.

Man he just sounds so determined and so thorough in his work to make sure this team doesn't take a step back this year.

Just from the things he says and how he says them just make me trust this whole process. He's really a good coach and we're lucky to have him.

That interview from yesterday is well worth the whole 13 minutes.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Organizationally he is one of OUR top prospects but across the league he's certainly not. I think that's what OP meant.

even if that is what he meant, he would be considered “a top prospect” on any number of teams. look, to say he’s not (which is actually one of the kinder things this guy has said about mcleod) means his opinions of our prospects, to me, are suspect.

it’s hard to reconcile people’s patience with zacha and impatience with mcleod. and that’s not a knock on zacha

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah Ty Smith spoke better at the draft, I think those chipped teeth are a recent thing at least and makes him seem a bit more nasally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad