Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
maybe he means "prove yourself before you get a big contract. it's not 'pay you first, perform later'"
He was 4th on the team in goals and 30th (26th among skaters) on the team in ATOI with 12:28.

The only players that averaged less time were Hayes, Rooney, Lappin and Pietila...Wood scored 19 goals with 12:28 of average ice time.

Wood had more even strength goals that Palmieri did.

Pay the man his money.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
PZ needs to step already.
Rantenan had 84 points last season

Can we expect 40+ points from PZ?

While I agree with you it would be great for PZ to take the next step, my posts being better than yours isn’t the reason yours need to improve. Your posts should be judged on their own merit as should PZ’s progress.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He was 4th on the team in goals and 30th (26th among skaters) on the team in ATOI with 12:28.

The only players that averaged less time were Hayes, Rooney, Lappin and Pietila...Wood scored 19 goals with 12:28 of average ice time.

Pay the man his money.

What would you give him on a six year deal? Or what deal would you consider fair to the player as you’ve highlighted some legit numbers?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
While I agree with you it would be great for PZ to take the next step, my posts being better than yours isn’t the reason yours need to improve. Your posts should be judged on their own merit as should PZ’s progress.

The measuring stick nonsense is beyond old.

Again, go ask Flyers fans what they thought of Couturier after his 20/21-year-old season.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
even if that is what he meant, he would be considered “a top prospect” on any number of teams. look, to say he’s not (which is actually one of the kinder things this guy has said about mcleod) means his opinions of our prospects, to me, are suspect.

it’s hard to reconcile people’s patience with zacha and impatience with mcleod. and that’s not a knock on zacha

I would imagine it's less than a dozen teams where he'd be a top prospect. Admittedly I'm not high on him nor have I ever been but I'm not one of these posters that says he's a bust. I just haven't been thrilled with him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
wonder what you guys would say if Zacha broke into the league at 20-21 as most young NHL forwards do nowadays

but since he played earlier than we probably would have hoped due to poor NHL depth when he started, he is labeled a bust by some on here

makes total sense.

REMINDER- he will be 21 years old for the entire 2018-19 season.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Pay the man his money.

It's not unreasonable for management to want to see him do it again before committing serious money/term to him though. Besides, he has no leverage. He might as well sign the deal, then play his ass off and force the team to give him the contract he's looking for.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I think based on practice these are some of the lines/d-pairings that are going to be used in the games tomorrow:
Against NYR:
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Greene-Vatanen

Against Montreal:
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
wonder what you guys would say if Zacha broke into the league at 20-21 as most young NHL forwards do nowadays

REMINDER- he will be 21 years old for the entire 2018-19 season.

I've been making this point for a while.

At some point last season I started wondering if I had a good point or if I was just hoping.

Reactions: Darkauron

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's not unreasonable for management to want to see him do it again before committing serious money/term to him though. Besides, he has no leverage. He might as well sign the deal, then play his ass off and force the team to give him the contract he's looking for.
If that is the thought process they shouldn't have burned his first ELC year in 2015-16...That's coming back to bite them.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If that is the thought process they shouldn't have burned his first ELC year in 2015-16...That's coming back to bite them.

It's really not. It's why they burned that year in the first place.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

How though? He has zero leverage. Sign and show them you're deserving a longer or more money deal. Regardless I feel he's digging a hole that will ultimately lead to him not being here forever.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's really not. It's why they burned that year in the first place.
I'm not following you? Wood only has 3 years of RFA remaining... I'm sure that they only want to do 2 and Wood wants more... it would appear to me that it is either 2 or buy UFA years.

My post that you responded to was in reference to the notion of "prove it".

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How though? He has zero leverage. Sign and show them you're deserving a longer or more money deal. Regardless I feel he's digging a hole that will ultimately lead to him not being here forever.
Scoring 19 goals, 16 even strength largely from the 4th line averaging 12 minutes is not proving it?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would love to know what those criticizing management should do re: Wood

he is an RFA with no arbitration rights. He has no leverage. Shero shouldn't just give in to the player, especially considering they did the player a favor by starting his UFA clock earlier by having him burn that 1 game a few years back.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My biggest takeaway from the first days of camp is that John Hynes is on a mission and he's not messing around.

Man he just sounds so determined and so thorough in his work to make sure this team doesn't take a step back this year.

Just from the things he says and how he says them just make me trust this whole process. He's really a good coach and we're lucky to have him.

That interview from yesterday is well worth the whole 13 minutes.

Also sounds like he is putting them through the ringer the last couple of days.

Bringing out the football pads seemed like a unique idea.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wasn't really even talking about RFA years so much as I think they'd like to see more than one good year from him before giving him a longer term contract. Plus they know they have all the leverage, and pretty much every GM in this league is going use that kind of leverage in negotiations.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wasn't really even talking about RFA years so much as I think they'd like to see more than one good year from him before giving him a longer term contract. Plus they know they have all the leverage, and pretty much every GM in this league is going use that kind of leverage in negotiations.
One good year? He's only played one full year. He still should be an RFA...That was Shero's decision.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I guess Triumph means if Shero didn't give him the extra year towards RFA, he'd probably have had more of a case to ask for a bigger raise on his next deal after this season when he would have become RFA.

And I don't think a few goals means Wood's proven anything, especially when there are other metrics teams look at these days. He had a great first half then tailed off, heck he got less than ten minutes a game in the last three playoff games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad