Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ondrej Kase scored 20 goals, 19 at even strength, averaged 1:27 more than Wood and just signed a 3 year deal at 2.6 million per year.
A 1:27 is huge difference...
In 66 games Kase played 919 minutes in 76 games Wood played 28 more minutes... He played with Henrique and Ritchie. Wood played with nothing close to that in terms of offense.

Reactions: AgentBrodeur

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
There is no player in our system, perhaps in our division that can replace Wood's combination of size and speed. Let alone goals.

We know.

It wasn’t too long ago that your favorite punchline for Wood was how few years he was/is removed from prep school hockey. Shero sees the same thing. Wood had a great season — awesome, now prove it.

Regardless of how productive a season he had last year, and how unique his skill set is, Wood has no leverage here. And letting this drag through camp (and now, the preseason) is a very bad situation for the player.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We know.

It wasn’t too long ago that your favorite punchline for Wood was how few years he was/is removed from prep school hockey. Shero sees the same thing. Wood had a great season — awesome, now prove it.

Regardless of how productive a season he had last year, and how unique his skill set is, Wood has no leverage here. And letting this drag through camp (and now, the preseason) is a very bad situation for the player.
Do you seriously not see how the bolded portion makes zero sense and is nonsensical? You are essentially saying you proved it, now prove it again ..but without compensation.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If a GM is bridging a player, they have to hammer them as hard as is reasonably possible - every RFA negotiation affects future ones. Shero isn't just dealing with Wood here - he is dealing with Hischier and Bratt and Zacha and Butcher and anyone else who might be RFA without arbitration rights.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If a GM is bridging a player, they have to hammer them as hard as is reasonably possible - every RFA negotiation affects future ones. Shero isn't just dealing with Wood here - he is dealing with Hischier and Bratt and Zacha and Butcher and anyone else who might be RFA without arbitration rights.
Yeah but the no leverage thing is a bit shortsighted... it's momentary...if the estimation is he's not worth the commitment perhaps you hammer him because there is no real consequence...but if you believe he is a valuable asset you either pay now or pay later...and paying later risks poisoning the well in any future negotiations. It's dumb when you can sign him to a fair contract now imo

Reactions: nugg

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Do you seriously not see how the bolded portion makes zero sense and is nonsensical? You are essentially saying you proved it, now prove it again ..but without compensation.

Do you really not know the function of a prove-it contract? I’m not inventing anything new here.

Wood showed he can put together a very good season in the NHL. Buying high off a single season’s performance is how you get Clarkson and Leino disasters...

Yeah but the no leverage thing is a bit shortsighted... it's momentary...if the estimation is he's not worth the commitment perhaps you hammer him because there is no real consequence...but if you believe he is a valuable asset you either pay now or pay later...and paying later risks poisoning the well in any future negotiations. It's dumb when you can sign him to a fair contract now imo

If they could sign him to a “fair contract now,” it would already be done.

Wood’s camp is likely giving the same lines you are. Considering we’re a team rich with young talent that will be signing similar deals in the near future, I don’t blame Shero one bit for taking the prudent, conservative approach here. Precedent must be shrewdly set.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Remember when Niedermayer, Holik, Gomez had no leverage?
Yeah, they all left when they had the opportunity to. We say Shero has all the leverage, but a player who hates your guts when the process is all said and done, whenever the hell that's gonna be, is bad in the long-term. There's a chance this is going to blow up in Ray's face, whether it be through trading Wood as part of a bad package or any of the up-and-comers being unable to fill his shoes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Do you really not know the function of a prove-it contract? I’m not inventing anything new here.

Wood showed he can put together a very good season in the NHL. Buying high off a single season’s performance is how you get Clarkson and Leino disasters...

If they could sign him to a “fair contract now,” it would already be done.

Wood’s camp is likely giving the same lines you are. Considering we’re a team rich with young talent that will be signing similar deals in the near future, I don’t blame Shero one bit for taking the prudent, conservative approach here. Precedent must be shrewdly set.
Those are dumb/bad UFA happy drunk July 1st signings...having absolutely nothing to do with signing your own 23 year old RFA to his first contract.

Reactions: nugg

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
They're obviously not going to get him at a 6 years 3 mil per deal. He should just sign the 2 years and what I'm guessing 4-4.5 mil total and get to work. In two years if he's still developing and getting better, pay him more and longer. I don't see how Wood benefits from anything that's going on right now.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I don't see how Wood benefits from anything that's going on right now.
He benefits when the team isn't as good without him and Shero has to pay through the nose to keep him because his macho brinkmanship failed. Small chance, sure, but don't leave anything to chance. Give him a damn contract. This team is better with Miles Wood. That is a fact.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
is the team better 3 years from now when the gm is put in a corner by every rfa that thinks they deserve more money? none of you have any idea what wood is actually asking for

Reactions: Billdo

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They're obviously not going to get him at a 6 years 3 mil per deal. He should just sign the 2 years and what I'm guessing 4-4.5 mil total and get to work. In two years if he's still developing and getting better, pay him more and longer. I don't see how Wood benefits from anything that's going on right now.
I bet they aren't offering 2+ million per. My guess is they are looking to give him a Tanner Pearson 1.4 per for two years bridge...and Wood is absolutely right not to accept it.

And I don't see how nickle and dime'ing one of the only quality physical assets the team has on an otherwise softer than Charmin roster benefits the team?

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Bought the cheapest Stubhub ticket for season opener in Sweden for $250. Gonna book flights for $200 and book a $100 hotel room. Add beer, nachos and girlfriend's shopping... one expensive hockey match. Boys better bring home the W.

Camille the Eel

Fact is we don’t know what’s being offered and that everything here is speculation. That’s all it can be. So we can’t judge accurately.

Aren’t performance incentives a way to bridge a gap? If you can incentivize hockey contracts. So that the player earns more if they hit certain milestones.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If Wood wants out in 5 years? Great, have fun. Do players who play like Wood typically have a great career after age 30, no, should the Devils sign him at that point, almost certainly not unless he's willing to take a big discount. It's funny to hear people bring up Niedermayer, Gomez, and Holik, as if the latter two aren't two of the worst UFA contracts ever signed. What matters for the Devils being good in the future is efficient spending under the cap, not making sure that Miles Wood is happy for his entire career here.

Players who don't sign typically get nothing. They almost never win these negotiations - at best they get traded, but most times they swallow their pride and take what's being offered.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
is the team better 3 years from now when the gm is put in a corner by every rfa that thinks they deserve more money? none of you have any idea what wood is actually asking for

this is a really overblown concern. RFA contracts are typically based on what a RFA with similar stats (on any team) got. not based on what your teammates got 3 years ago. that’s largely irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad