Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Bought the cheapest Stubhub ticket for season opener in Sweden for $250. Gonna book flights for $200 and book a $100 hotel room. Add beer, nachos and girlfriend's shopping... one expensive hockey match. Boys better bring home the W.

When and how did you get tickets?!
My girlfriend tried to buy to but it was completely sold out and that was in May I think!

I live in Copenhagen a couple of hours from Gothenburg so it would be a dream come true to see the Devils for the first time.

Oh well I will try to arrange a trip to NYC and here in 2018 or 19 to come watch them at home.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
When and how did you get tickets?!
My girlfriend tried to buy to but it was completely sold out and that was in May I think!

I live in Copenhagen a couple of hours from Gothenburg so it would be a dream come true to see the Devils for the first time.

Oh well I will try to arrange a trip to NYC and here in 2018 or 19 to come watch them at home.

There are some odd tickets left on 2nd market. Try stubhub.com.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
It's funny how some people immediately jump to the conclusion that the team is just trying to be cheap whenever these situations arise.
I can think of 18 million reasons that confirm why this team is being cheap. The justification with not signing people in free agency is so we can sign our homegrown players from our OK farm system. When Shero won’t even do that, what other excuse can the fans fall on?

I get that he was canned for terrible contracts in Pittsburgh, but this is an overcorrection. We’re a bubble team. We’re not yet in the position as a team where you can just dismiss someone in the belief that someone can take their place, especially with our group of prospects.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, they all left when they had the opportunity to. We say Shero has all the leverage, but a player who hates your guts when the process is all said and done, whenever the hell that's gonna be, is bad in the long-term.

Oh please...if Wood and his agent are this hung up on getting paid now after we already needed to burn an entry-level year to get him out of college then he's sure as shooting going for the most money when he gets to UFA regardless of whether he 'hates' us or not.

Okay...whose fault is this?

Is it Wood's or is it his Agent?

The agent works for the player in the end, although sometimes the agents forget that and let ego and self-interests get in the way.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Do you really not know the function of a prove-it contract? I’m not inventing anything new here.

Wood showed he can put together a very good season in the NHL. Buying high off a single season’s performance is how you get Clarkson and Leino disasters...

If they could sign him to a “fair contract now,” it would already be done.

Wood’s camp is likely giving the same lines you are. Considering we’re a team rich with young talent that will be signing similar deals in the near future, I don’t blame Shero one bit for taking the prudent, conservative approach here. Precedent must be shrewdly set.

They agree on the length of the contract, so this is an asinine comparison. Also, Wood is clearly more talented than either one of those players.

This team did jack shit in the off season to make the team better. If Wood holds out, this just makes the team worse. And honestly, who is gonna replace Wood and his 19 goals as well as his combo of size and speed? Some smaller unproven player?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Never understood how this stuff doesn’t get done in a weeks time.

Day one. Shero offer no good.
Wood replies. Shero says no good.

Sides don’t speak for two weeks and repeat?

Why not just keep bouncing numbers off each other. This goes for all players and teams with these fiasco.

You think they haven't had discussions on and off all summer already? If one side or both are dug in then what's to negotiate at this point till someone comes off their position? Clearly there's a fundamental issue they can't bridge.

It's also telling the only thing that gets used to defend Wood is his goal total. Especially when he still didn't manage to earn more ES icetime throughout the season, there's gotta be a reason for that whether it be advanced numbers people like to cite for other things, play away from the puck or taking bad penalties. And for all the talk about his physicality he had like four fighting majors and 75 hits, freaking Blake Coleman got credited with 216 hits in not that much more icetime - and that part of Wood's game went downhill after the suspension.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I can think of 18 million reasons that confirm why this team is being cheap. The justification with not signing people in free agency is so we can sign our homegrown players from our OK farm system. When Shero won’t even do that, what other excuse can the fans fall on?

I get that he was canned for terrible contracts in Pittsburgh, but this is an overcorrection. We’re a bubble team. We’re not yet in the position as a team where you can just dismiss someone in the belief that someone can take their place, especially with our group of prospects.

So he should do what, give Wood whatever he wants? What happens when the next RFA comes up? Should he just give them whatever they want too? He's got the leverage, he's going to use it. The same as every other GM in this league.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Um, unless I'm missing something that happened recently with changes to UFAs, they actually have to want to come here right? Shero was on record as saying he offered Shattenkirk more, they were in on JVR, etc. They're not keeping cap space and neglecting free agency.

Reactions: HBK27

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I bet they aren't offering 2+ million per. My guess is they are looking to give him a Tanner Pearson 1.4 per for two years bridge...and Wood is absolutely right not to accept it.

And I don't see how nickle and dime'ing one of the only quality physical assets the team has on an otherwise softer than Charmin roster benefits the team?

I would be floored if that’s all they’re offering him.

I’d imagine they’re in the Kase range - 3 years, ~$8-9M.

Regardless, you continue to ignore the role of precedent here. Let’s say Shero caves and gives him ~$4M, and then Wood doesn’t hit 40 points and Bratt cracks 50. And Nico hits 65-70. Setting the precedent bar so high creates a cascade effect that makes all of those other contracts pricier by default. Do you not realize this?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Wait a second... who’s dismissing Wood? Who said someone can take his place?

Shero said the organization thinks highly of Wood, and that he’s valuable to the team. Being unwilling to cave to an agent’s demands isn’t “dismissing” the player... jesus. I have no idea how you can draw that conclusion.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My guess, based on absolutely no evidence, is that Shero's offering ~3 million and Wood's agent is looking for 4+ million.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah, they all left when they had the opportunity to. We say Shero has all the leverage, but a player who hates your guts when the process is all said and done, whenever the hell that's gonna be, is bad in the long-term. There's a chance this is going to blow up in Ray's face, whether it be through trading Wood as part of a bad package or any of the up-and-comers being unable to fill his shoes.

I mean he can't leave on his own for 5 more years

It's funny how some people immediately jump to the conclusion that the team is just trying to be cheap whenever these situations arise.

its called an agenda. Many on this board have one.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

so basically just give the player whatever he wants is your strategy

glad you are not the team's GM in that case.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Devils and Rangers head coaches being close friends? What is the world coming to?:sarcasm:
dogs-and-cats.gif

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I like Wood, but some of you are starting to really overrate him.
Agree. I like him as a player and he has good potential but the role he played last season is easily replaceable.
I'm ready to bet that Wood/his agent are looking for something similar to Tom Wilson contract.

There's no way Shero wouldn't offer 3 million a year to Wood.
Wood pretty much played on the 4th line last year. He did a good job but is not a top 6 winger that Wilson was. ( Wilson didn't produce usual top 6 type scoring numbers but played an important top 6 role creating space for Ovechkin).

Wood hasn't been asked to do that, nor he should get paid as a top 6 winger like Palms and Mojo is.

He plays very little special teams. He may get the occasional shift on PK or PP (to stand in front of net) on the 2nd unit. And Hynes doesn't trust him in overtime, despite his speed.

If Wood is asking for a Wilson type contract, Shero should let him sit or trade him.

Seney/McLeod/Anderson are ready to take Wood's job if he doesn't smarten up and sign soon.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah i mean maybe wood is insisting on a bonus because of the cba issues, who knows? but it's obvious that ray is content to play hardball, how much punishment is he willing to inflict on himself? and over what exactly?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
yeah i mean maybe wood is insisting on a bonus because of the cba issues, who knows? but it's obvious that ray is content to play hardball, how much punishment is he willing to inflict on himself? and over what exactly?
we're never gonna know. i mean, whatever # he gets, will we be able to honestly evaluate it? like "oh man, he was overpaid" or "too much term"?

we're never gonna know who budges and who compromises for who

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
TBH Wood is not that great of a player since he lost his edge when he got suspended. If he doesn't get his edge back he will be almost useless.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad