Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
How isn't the agent working in the players best interest?

The guy is one of the fastest straight ahead skaters in the league and just scored 19 goals playing only 12 minutes a night and hes a bull.

He scored more goals per 60 than Stamkos, Kuznetsov, Eberle, Matt Duchene, Scheifele, Braden Point, Kopitar, Rantanen, Riley Smith.. to name a few.

His agent should be getting him the biggest contract he can.
Totally agree. I think Wood's situation is a bit unique and players have short careers. It's the agent's job to fight for the best contract he can get.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I romantically long for the days when young players with 27 goals in 142 games didn't "hold out" like they're Brett Hull or Bobby Orr.

Agreed. But from Wood's perspective, he put up 19 last year with limited ice time. And as with any player, there's always a possibility he blows out his knee or worse, especially with his playstyle. Gotta try to get paid when you can. But at the same time, training camp has started...just sign. Missing time isn't going to help your cause.

Reactions: OmNomNom

HBK27

Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Finally game night!

Looking forward to watching the Q-McLeod-Noesen line vs. the Rangers as well as the Smith-Vantanen and Yakovlev-Gryba pairings. Also curious to see how Lappin does.

Is the Montreal game going to be online anywhere?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Okay...whose fault is this?

Is it Wood's or is it his Agent?
Or Shero.

Not all the blame goes to the player side. We have plenty of capspace. But, using Clarkson as a comparable:

Clarkson's first contract was .0148 of the cap at the time he signed it. That carried an $837K AAV. Today, if that's what they're offering Wood, that would translate to a $1.176 AAV. I'd imagine the initial offer has got to be around there.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I got a peek at the Montreal lineup and basically the kids I want to see tonight at the Rock are in that lineup:

Seney
Anderson
Studenic
Gignac

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Totally agree. I think Wood's situation is a bit unique and players have short careers. It's the agent's job to fight for the best contract he can get.
from a principle standpoint, sure. that's how the business is. but is he seeing it from a fair perspective (assuming that's how Ray is seeing it)?

Yeah, the PPG is pretty great, but he has such a small sample size. Does he have the stamina to do more with more ice time? is a "show me" contract not enough? and why not?

there's a certain point where holding out does more harm than good

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I like Wood, but some of you are starting to really overrate him.

If this was Nico, Butcher, or even Bratt doing this, it would be a different story.
I'm not worried, mostly because I think we can survive a few weeks w/o Wood. Besides, it would keep him fresher at the end of the year which is when we'll need him most because the games get tighter and more physical.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
from a principle standpoint, sure. that's how the business is. but is he seeing it from a fair perspective (assuming that's how Ray is seeing it)?

Yeah, the PPG is pretty great, but he has such a small sample size. Does he have the stamina to do more with more ice time? is a "show me" contract not enough? and why not?

there's a certain point where holding out does more harm than good
Well I guess that depends on the comparable they're using.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'm not worried, mostly because I think we can survive a few weeks w/o Wood. Besides, it would keep him fresher at the end of the year which is when we'll need him most because the games get tighter and more physical.
the funny thing is... if he doesn't play and we CAN survive without him (and even worse, if someone steps up and plays a comparable game), this actually HURTS his contract discussion.

Reactions: Missionhockey

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am actually getting quite annoyed that Wood isn't signed.

If he's asking for a Tom Wilson type contract... then I totally get it... But what's wrong with a two year 2.5 million per year deal?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I romantically long for the days when young players with 27 goals in 142 games didn't "hold out" like they're Brett Hull or Bobby Orr.

Brendan Morrison 'held out' with 18 goals in 87 games. If anything, young players today are more inclined to just sign whatever they're handed.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I am actually getting quite annoyed that Wood isn't signed.

If he's asking for a Tom Wilson type contract... then I totally get it... But what's wrong with a two year 2.5 million per year deal?

I don't know anything about this deal beyond what's been reported in the media. I doubt the Devils are offering 2.5M a year or really anything particularly close to that. My guess would be that their offer starts with a 1.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
id be surprised if it was as low as 1-something but i guess you never know. to me he’s worth 2.5-3 x 3 on a bridge deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad