Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I don't know anything about this deal beyond what's been reported in the media. I doubt the Devils are offering 2.5M a year or really anything particularly close to that. My guess would be that their offer starts with a 1.

There's absolutrly no way the Devils won't sign Wood for 2.5 million, it's obviously Woods demand that are quite higher

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Smith Vatanen pairing

*eggplant emoji*
sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

Reactions: mtnet and NjDevsRR

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
asked mike morreale a follow up question. wondering what his phrasing means in here - like does he think the 9-game stint is a guarantee?

Sounds like he's just agreeing, that if Smith performs well enough he may earn himself at least a 9 game stint. But for him to do that I'm assuming that the bar for playing "well enough" to earn that will be very high.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Ugh, give Ty preseason games and then wish him well in juniors for a season.

Let him grow physically and captain his team.

Why even bother with the 9 games
I don't think he is saying they are for sure going to give Smith games, but if he has an outstanding camp and preseason he will get a shot at the roster.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Sounds like he's just agreeing, that if Smith performs well enough he may earn himself at least a 9 game stint. But for him to do that I'm assuming that the bar for playing "well enough" to earn that will be very high.
He elaborated on his comment

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I remember similar quotes about his last off season workouts too. Hopefully he really means it this year lol. Pavs was my breakout player last year and I’ll put my money on him again this year.
i think he'll be okay. last year, he struggled with his identity as a player. this season, even if he doesn't score for games at a time, he has an identity he can fall back on that he can be confident in, and hopefully that'll feed back and help him relax his grip on the stick

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I don't know anything about this deal beyond what's been reported in the media. I doubt the Devils are offering 2.5M a year or really anything particularly close to that. My guess would be that their offer starts with a 1.
If that's the case, Shero is absolutely insane. Give him $2.5-3mil, which seems reasonable given their cap space situation, and GET. IT. DONE. **** his leverage.
asked mike morreale a follow up question. wondering what his phrasing means in here - like does he think the 9-game stint is a guarantee?

He probably means that a 9-game stint isn't out of the question, but Ty will have to earn it in camp. Unlike most coaches in the league, Hynes is more than willing to let youth contribute if they earned it.
Oh man YES. So we can thank Keith if Zacha scores more
That is the correct answer.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If that's the case, Shero is absolutely insane. Give him $2.5-3mil, which seems reasonable given their cap space situation, and GET. IT. DONE. **** his leverage.

It doesn't make sense to give a player with Wood's results this sort of money. Kase got 2.6 for 3 years and he's a much better player. Moreover, if Shero does increase his offer, now every future RFA knows that he can be broken. It will just increase the possibility that players will miss parts of training camp to try to get a better contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad