Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I know people will chime in with unsustainable, or even worse, luck.

But Lars had a gf% this season of 56.8%. And last year on a dreadful Devils team was somehow at 55.%.

The 15-16 Devils gf% when Larsson was not on the ice was 43%.

Edm's gf% when Lars was not on the ice this season was 51%.

Edit:

This is pretty interesting. Last year together Lars and Greene had gf% and cf% of 55% and 44% respectively. Lars without Greene was at 56.2% and 48.4%. Greene without Lars was at 43.8% and 41.7%.

Greene without Larsson? What was that... 20 minutes of 1300?

If you are playing 50+% of the 5v5 time with the best forwards on your team it would stand to reason that your GF% is going to be the highest on the team wouldn't it?

Larsson played the most time with the Art Ross Trohphy winner this season...More than any other forward. The Season before it was Palmieri, Zajac and Henrique in that order...Two 30 goal scorers. Play 1300+ 5v5 minutes behind the best goal scorers on your team your GF% is going to high. Higher than the guy that plays most often behind Josefson, Noesen, and Bennett anyway.

Going back to those 82 Defensmen that played 1250 minutes or more this season. More than half are over 50% GF% -- 47 of 82 to be exact. Only makes sense.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...nse&minutes=1250&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Greene without Larsson? What was that... 20 minutes of 1300?

If you are playing 50+% of the 5v5 time with the best forwards on your team it would stand to reason that your GF% is going to be the highest on the team wouldn't it?

Larsson played the most time with the Art Ross Trohphy winner this season...More than any other forward. The Season before it was Palmieri, Zajac and Henrique in that order...Two 30 goal scorers. Play 1300+ 5v5 minutes behind the best goal scorers on your team your GF% is going to high. Higher than the guy that plays most often behind Josefson, Noesen, and Bennett anyway.

Going back to those 82 Defensmen that played 1250 minutes or more this season. More than half are over 50% GF% -- 47 of 82 to be exact. Only makes sense.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...nse&minutes=1250&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC
230 minutes Greene apart from Lars. 240 Lars apart from Greene.

And most d are going to play their most minutes with the fwd's that get the most ice time. no one is going to get their most minutes playing with guys who play 8 minutes a game.

The reverse is also true. Fwd's will play their most minutes with D-men who play the most minutes.

Kalinin, Gio and Too Too each played with Lars more then any other d-man.

Lars played 330 minutes with Kalinin. 260 with Gio. 200 minutes with Too Too.

Edit: 47 of 82 d-men were over 50% gf, but Lars was at 56.8%. Which was 16th in the league.

In 15-16, he was 14th in the league.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Guess which Edm fwd Kris Russell, Sekera, Klefbom, Gryba, Brandon each played their most minutes with.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Larsson's GF% versus his Corsi is unsustainable and is, yes, a large degree of luck. No one sustains that kind of percentage difference over a career.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
all that's missing from this thread right now is someone ******* off onto a batch of graph paper

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Larsson's GF% versus his Corsi is unsustainable and is, yes, a large degree of luck. No one sustains that kind of percentage difference over a career.

Over the last 3 years his gf is 54.8%, his cf is 47.5%.

That's a long stretch and includes expected variations over time.

Palm's is 57% - 48% over the last 3.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Schneider was brutal last year. Last year was the only year in his career where he didn't make the big saves to keep the team in games, at least as consistently as he did in other seasons.

When he was on, the team couldn't score, when the team could score he couldn't stop a beach ball.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Schneider was brutal last year. Last year was the only year in his career where he didn't make the big saves to keep the team in games, at least as consistently as he did in other seasons.

When he was on, the team couldn't score, when the team could score he couldn't stop a beach ball.

When we were scoring, we were playing end-to-end hockey that exposes Schneider. When we were playing solid defense, we were playing a low-event game which aligns with Schneider's strengths.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Man, that Doughty trade offer on the trade board would be awesome for us. Too bad it'll never happen... having someone like him back there would completely change things moving forward and would fast forward our process by a year or two, if not more.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Man, that Doughty trade offer on the trade board would be awesome for us. Too bad it'll never happen... having someone like him back there would completely change things moving forward and would fast forward our process by a year or two, if not more.

Details.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yeah I wouldn't do it. Zacha and Severson are too important for the future. I wouldn't mind spending the 1st on a player.... but not that entire package.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah I wouldn't do it. Zacha and Severson are too important for the future. I wouldn't mind spending the 1st on a player.... but not that entire package.

The only thing that has me thinking is the 2018 1st round pick. I have no problem moving Zacha, especially with all the depth we have on the left side and flipping Severson for Doughty would be a MAJOR win on it's own. We'd have a franchise player, who'd average about 22 to 25 minutes a game, plays in all situations and can throw his weight around if need be.

I'm all for stockpiling picks and "trusting the process" but I'd take the Norris winning dman over upside any day of the week and twice on sundays. Take into consideration that it would send shockwaves of confidence to our locker room, would show Hall we're committed to win in the not so distant future and drastically stabilize our biggest weakness, our blueline.

If we can switch our 2018 with a 2019, I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. We'd be giving up some solid pieces but we'd be acquiring someone who's a top #10, some would even say top #5, defensemen.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Not a slam dunk imo.

He's great, and he's still young enough at 27. But he will be making big $$$, and we are sending back 2 young NHL players with big potential, + a 1st.

Usually, if a trade offer makes you stop and think, it's cause it's good value for both parties.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Doughty is going to need a contract. That certainly gives me pause about it.

I also just don't think its the right time for a move like that. Next summer would be way more likely because we'll "know what we have" with a lot of our young guys by then

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Doughty is going to need a contract. That certainly gives me pause about it.

I also just don't think its the right time for a move like that. Next summer would be way more likely because we'll "know what we have" with a lot of our young guys by then

I don't like giving up young guys who are already in the NHL. If you get a guy like Doughty, who opens up a 5-7 year window, but will soon make a bunch of $$$, guys like sev's and Zacha are the type of young guys you need to contribute. If we hadn't won that pesky lottery I would have been way more comfortable offering a guy like Vilardi.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Usually, if a trade offer makes you stop and think, it's cause it's good value for both parties.

he's right. and it would be a thinker, because know their potentials pretty well, and the 2018 1st is bound to be a lower pick (unless we surprise)

doughty is a known commodity (and a good one at that). severson has the potential, as does zacha, and the 1st could be a good asset as well. i'd have to think about that one

as for waiting, things could end up being better or worse for us value wise. if it ends up better, great, but if the offer is on the table now and either/both of them decline this year, we will regret not pulling the trigger

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a fair deal, but it makes more sense for a team that's just about ready to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad