Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I drool over Doughty, but the timing isn't right.

"It's not you, it's me."

This organization has finally achieved young forward depth for the first time in a while. It wouldn't be wise to move players like Severson and Zacha before we have a better idea of who they are as players and what they can be.

I don't think we can start entertaining this type of trade until next summer, at the earliest.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I drool over Doughty, but the timing isn't right.

"It's not you, it's me."

This organization has finally achieved young forward depth for the first time in a while. It wouldn't be wise to move players like Severson and Zacha before we have a better idea of who they are as players and what they can be.

I don't think we can start entertaining this type of trade until next summer, at the earliest.

Good points. This year is a continued evaluation year. Also you don't make this trade without some assurance Doughty will negotiate an extension with NJ and some sort of idea what he'd want. Doughty can't be a rental.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Have to agree. If we were cup contenders you make that trade. However, we aren't and should stay the course.

If we'd be cup contenders, we wouldn't have Zacha, McLeod and Hischier. At some point, you have to take a gamble and if the Kings want to add more youth, we'd be foolish to snub Doughty because we're not contenders, today.

Just like the Shattenkirk debate, his skills weren't going to help us now but in two years or so, max. Can you imagine a lineup going forward that would look a little something like...

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Henrique-Hischier-MoJo
Blandisi-McLeod-Quenneville/Speers
Wood-Boyle-Noesen

Greene-Doughty
Moore-Lovejoy
Mueller-Santini
Prout

Schneider

We'd have a franchise winger (Hall), a franchise center (Hischier), a franchise dman (Doughty) and a franchise goaltender (Schneider). Those are all pieces you need if your going to be considered a legit contender. Adding pieces around those players would be way easier to do then the other way around. I'm of the mentality, get your building blocks first and address the aesthetic afterwards.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
For a 'signed' Doughty I'd consider it, but not one two years from FA. You just can't risk throwing away that much of the future if he's another guy that wants to go home after next year.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
For a 'signed' Doughty I'd consider it, but not one two years from FA. You just can't risk throwing away that much of the future if he's another guy that wants to go home after next year.

That portion of the argument, I fully agree with. If this deal is offered next summer and we can ink him to a LTC, it makes it a no brainer IMO.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
We'd have a franchise winger (Hall), a franchise center (Hischier), a franchise dman (Doughty) and a franchise goaltender (Schneider). Those are all pieces you need if your going to be considered a legit contender. Adding pieces around those players would be way easier to do then the other way around. I'm of the mentality, get your building blocks first and address the aesthetic afterwards.

I'm just not crazy about giving up our 2018 first. Also, want to see how the kids turn out before contemplating a deal that big. If we suck again how does Doughty help us and I'm a big fan of his. The Devils need to do it like the Yankees. The kids made management believe by developing a year sooner than they thought and Cash went out and added pitching. If the kids prove worthy, than you think about giving up assets for a Doughty.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Doesn't matter whether your top defenseman is a Norris winner or just pretty good - if the other five guys are complete scrubs, you're not going to do well.

We need to eliminate the depth issue before we go after top guys.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Doughty is going to need a contract. That certainly gives me pause about it.

I also just don't think its the right time for a move like that. Next summer would be way more likely because we'll "know what we have" with a lot of our young guys by then

woah! your starting to sound like someone there? whoooooooooooooooo ever could that be? hmmmmmmmmm i dont know the name doesn't come to mind maybe you can tell me.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
not for anything but if your going to "wait" another year so that your able to ink him to a long term deal. why not look then towards karlson or OEL? you think either small market team will be able to give them the 9-10 million a year they will command? how many teams will even have the cap space to add that type of player to their team? 2019 has a toooooooooooooooooooooon of players hitting the market. a lot of teams will know if they can sign all these guys coming summer of next year.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
woah! your starting to sound like someone there? whoooooooooooooooo ever could that be? hmmmmmmmmm i dont know the name doesn't come to mind maybe you can tell me.

not for anything but if your going to "wait" another year so that your able to ink him to a long term deal. why not look then towards karlson or OEL? you think either small market team will be able to give them the 9-10 million a year they will command? how many teams will even have the cap space to add that type of player to their team? 2019 has a toooooooooooooooooooooon of players hitting the market. a lot of teams will know if they can sign all these guys coming summer of next year.

Good lord. I can handle it once but thats three times in two posts...

You are = you're

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If we traded for a legit top 4 youngish D in this market, I will be very afraid to see what we gave up.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Good lord. I can handle it once but thats three times in two posts...

You are = you're

It's still better than the use of "could of" which I see far, far too often.

I digress... I'm not sure I can think of anything to be "a whole lot more excited for" as it relates in-arena entertainment.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
It's still better than the use of "could of" which I see far, far too often.

I digress... I'm not sure I can think of anything to be "a whole lot more excited for" as it relates in-arena entertainment.

could of and should of appear way too much on this site lol

maybe they're about to announce the new scoreboard?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Omg we got a top 4 dman :sarcasm:

They told Adidas to shove it?

We have signed Bobby Butler to a 1 year contract.

:sarcasm:

She's probably joining the msg broadcast

heard we were getting a new score board, doubt that it is player related.

likely has something to do with in arena entertainment ( other than the team )

This tweet was a Rorschach test for the board :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad