Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Justin Holl signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $3.4M AAV)

spfan

May 4, 2009
I think Augustine was picked because it's absolutely foolish to put all your eggs in one basket. Not just because of development but because of injuries or off ice issues.

Not sure what part of that isn't getting through your head. The fact that you want to argue about it though tells me you don't really have any good ammo and are just arguing for the sake of it.
Well since you think I just say all his decisions are bad. I'll say it again. ASP was a great pick.
Augustine is a good value pick. I just wouldn't be very confident in Cossa being an elite goalie. Augustine might be more likely to be your starter. Which isn't a bad thing.

Raymond was a good pick. He's a good player. Seider as well. But overall, at this point, I don't foresee a cup in the next 10 years.

I also wonder if there's extra bias for Yzerman because everything he did as a player, specifically for Detroit. If it was some random guy who made all the exact same moves, is he treated the exact same?

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Well since you think I just say all his decisions are bad. I'll say it again. ASP was a great pick.
Augustine is a good value pick. I just wouldn't be very confident in Cossa being an elite goalie. Augustine might be more likely to be your starter. Which isn't a bad thing.

Raymond was a good pick. He's a good player. Seider as well. But overall, at this point, I don't foresee a cup in the next 10 years.

I also wonder if there's extra bias for Yzerman because everything he did as a player, specifically for Detroit. If it was some random guy who made all the exact same moves, is he treated the exact same?
I wonder if there's extra bias for Yzerman because he built a power house in Tampa...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He was atrocious for Leafs in playoffs and stuck out as worst player on ice when he played

IMO a terrible deal here

WTF is the plan in Detroit? Its seems a mess at this point and they feel like they are turning into Sabres of last decade+ at this point during this rebuild

spfan

May 4, 2009
I wonder if there's extra bias for Yzerman because he built a power house in Tampa...
New GM made moves and changed that team. Sure, he built some of it. But a more truer Yzerman TBL got swept by the CBJ. The cup winning teams were after bringing in role players.

But regardless of that, like I said, I don't like what he's done with Detroit much. Some good, more bad. Maybe he gets a cup for Detroit as active GM. But at this point, I don't see it happening.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He shouldn’t have been. That’s the entire point. That’s on Keefe.

Look, I’m the last person to stand up for Holl’s brain farts. I poke fun at him consistently, but to pretend he wasn’t overplayed in the wrong situations is ridiculous. It was a huge debate during the playoffs. Don’t pretend it wasn’t. For people to also pretend he wasn’t getting a contract in this area is also ridiculous. I’m just surprised it wasn’t Dubas to give it to him.

He’s a clear upgrade from Gustav Lindstrom for Detroit. What was their alternative right now? They desperately needed a RH dman. They were obviously in on Clifton, as the Holl signing came minutes afterwards. Klingberg and Dumba have more problems than Holl too. So the options weren’t great.
Your argument is correct. Holl shouldn't have been playing in the playoffs. It was a Keefe/Dubas issue for continually sending him out there.

Your point wouldn't make me feel any better about the signing if I were a Wings fan though. Your GM just paid 3.4m/year for 3 years to a guy who shouldn't have been dressed in the playoffs

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
New GM made moves and changed that team. Sure, he built some of it. But a more truer Yzerman TBL got swept by the CBJ. The cup winning teams were after bringing in role players.

But regardless of that, like I said, I don't like what he's done with Detroit much. Some good, more bad. Maybe he gets a cup for Detroit as active GM. But at this point, I don't see it happening.
Your argument is that Yzerman ran the ball all the way down the field but Briesbois deserves the real credit for taking it across the goal line.

Please stop.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
That's a ridiculous reply.

Augustine I would put pretty much on par with Cossa(at least more so at the time of his draft).

You need more than a 1C. But you don't need more than 1 top goalie.

You think Augustine was picked to be back up? lol
lmao what?

No team only drafts ONE goalie and then stops drafting goalies. What are you even trying to argue at this point, do you even know?

spfan

May 4, 2009
Your argument is that Yzerman ran the ball all the way down the field but Briesbois deserves the real credit for taking it across the goal line.

Please stop.
Briesbois brought in role players that were big for them in the playoffs. Would Yzerman have for sure done that? Why didn't the 2018 TBL win the cup? Before Briesbois made a bigger impact, that truer Yzerman built TBL team got swept by CBJ. Why didn't they win the cup then?

It's a fact that Yzerman has 0 cups as active GM.

If Detroit has 0 cups in the next 10 years and Yzerman is gone, will you admit to being wrong?

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago

And tell us who exactly was Yzerman's second hire when he got to Tampa Bay?

Tampa Bay had a great run with Yzemrna as GM even before they won it all a year after he left.

Serioulsy I will help you out...if you are looking for a reason to crticize him in Detroit, the most logical and rarely (though not never) used, is that he didn't tank for the 2023 draft.

I think most non-believers have locked themselves out of that option, because they already argued the rebuild is taking too long.

His signings the last couple years are placeholders.

Reactions: Seider and Donuts

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Briesbois brought in role players that were big for them in the playoffs. Would Yzerman have for sure done that? Why didn't the 2018 TBL win the cup? Before Briesbois made a bigger impact, that truer Yzerman built TBL team got swept by CBJ. Why didn't they win the cup then?

It's a fact that Yzerman has 0 cups as active GM.

If Detroit has 0 cups in the next 10 years and Yzerman is gone, will you admit to being wrong?
Again. Yzerman ran the ball all the way down the field, but Briesbois deserves the real credit for taking it across the goal line. Sure!

spfan

May 4, 2009
lmao what?

No team only drafts ONE goalie and then stops drafting goalies. What are you even trying to argue at this point, do you even know?
No they don't just stop drafting goalies, but it becomes less important. I don't think Cossa's development has gone that well so far. I think it's why they took Augustine.

I don't think Minnesota had any intention on drafting a goalie in the first few rounds. Wallstedt's future looks better.

It doesn't hurt to spend a later round pick on a goalie, but if you very recently drafted a goalie in the 1st, you're pretty unlikely to draft a goalie in the 1st or 2nd again. Unless you're not so confident in your prospect anymore.

And tell us who exactly was Yzerman's second hire when he got to Tampa Bay?

Tampa Bay had a great run with Yzemrna as GM even before they won it all a year after he left.

Serioulsy I will help you out...if you are looking for acreason to crticize him in Detroit, the most logical and rarely (though not never) used, is that he didn't tank for the 2023 draft.

I think most non-believers have locked themselves out of that option, because they already arlgued the rebuild is taking too long.

His signings the last couple years are placeholders.
Why did they get swept by CBJ? Let me guess, that's not on Yzerman at all?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Money is not one of the top 5 reasons Yamamoto was bought out and Holl signed.

Only 21 million left in cap space this season. 43 mil left next season and 64 mil the year after that (Holl's last year).

NHL scrubs are licking their chops, then.

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
No they don't just stop drafting goalies, but it becomes less important. I don't think Cossa's development has gone that well so far. I think it's why they took Augustine.

I don't think Minnesota had any intention on drafting a goalie in the first few rounds. Wallstedt's future looks better.

It doesn't hurt to spend a later round pick on a goalie, but if you very recently drafted a goalie in the 1st, you're pretty unlikely to draft a goalie in the 1st or 2nd again. Unless you're not so confident in your prospect anymore.

Why did they get swept by CBJ? Let me guess, that's not on Yzerman at all?

You can keep saying Cossa's development is going well so far... You'll keep sounding foolish to anybody actually paying attention to it, but you can keep saying it.

I dunno man. I guess Steve Yzerman probably didn't have much faith in Vasi's development when he traded for Ben Bishop.

:laugh:

Yamamoto wasn't worth 3+M for 1 more year, but Holl is worth 10.2M to Yzerman??
When Yamamoto starts playing RHD, let me know.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Again. Yzerman ran the ball all the way down the field, but Briesbois deserves the real credit for taking it across the goal line. Sure!
It's at least split in some type of way.

Yzerman - 0 cups as active GM.

Others are losing faith in your guy.

I feel you're under the impression I hate your team or Yzerman. I haven't liked some of his decisions. That includes his time on both Detroit and TBL.

2023 Draft. ASP was a good pick. Danielson, didn't like it as much. He didn't have the worst draft at all in my opinion. That goes to Toronto. There, I criticized a different GM and team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad