Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Justin Holl signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $3.4M AAV)

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Holl is the key piece to Yzerman that Sustr is to Verbeek. Stevie wants his Macklin.
The approach is weird, considering last year's approach. Unless Yzerman is going for one of the big veteran scorers, this is pretty much a throw away UFA year for him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Based on what everyone is saying, i don't like this signing. But when I look up his hits, it looks like he put on some nasty hits against Johnny Hockey and Yamamoto. He puts up about 15-20 points and plays 18+ minutes per night.

Maybe he sees something in him that is useful? Leafs are a shit org and are known to misuse players. Usually when players leave Toronto, they flourish.
Because it's Toronto, everything gets blown way out of proportion.

Holl got a lot of hate because he did perform poorly in the playoffs, but IMO he is generally a solid player defensively. He can defend the rush and get back quickly on retrievals. If he is used in a 4/5 swing role, I think DET will get their value from him.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I mean he won't be playing top minutes, weren't the Leafs playing him like 18+ minutes a night?

I certainly don't love the signing but most of the overreactions in here are just from fans that are laughably desperate to smear Yzerman because they don't like hearing that he's a good GM.

Holl wasn't ever known as a liability until the most recent playoffs when the entire team he was playing for annually shits the bed and repeated the feat again.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Mount Arrowsmith Brewing
I mean he won't be playing top minutes, weren't the Leafs playing him like 18+ minutes a night?

I certainly don't love the signing but most of the overreactions in here are just from fans that are laughably desperate to smear Yzerman because they don't like hearing that he's a good GM.

Holl wasn't ever known as a liability until the most recent playoffs when the entire team he was playing for annually shits the bed and repeated the feat again.
Holl has always been bad.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Looking at his stat sheet and his hits, I don't see a concern. I have not watched him. He scored 18pnts and was a +15 while playing 18 minutes per night. On paper, that is fine.

Chariot turned out to be a useful piece for Detroit. Clearly they don't want Seider-Edvinsson together. They want them paired with a vet.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Zadina wasn't an Yzerman pick so you may want to try that one again...

Yzerman didn't draft Zadina. The other players you listed as busts were from like 10 years ago.
Fine. I was a bit off on that timeline. Although Zadina is a bit better than my other 2 examples.

I just don't like that Yzerman gets so much credit for Vasilevskiy and Seider. He ended up right on Seider. But he also had huge misses in Connolly and Koekkoek. And with Vasilevskiy specifically, he had picked Koekkoek 9 picks before him. So it's not like he really was some genius. He was higher on Koekkoek than Vasilevskiy.

This Holl signing.
No idea what the hell happened with that Vrana situation.
Bringing in Yamamoto just to buy him out. If it was just to get Kostin, that still doesn't make much sense. He's not that good.

I question plenty of Yzerman's decisions. Nor do I think he deserves a lot of credit for TBL's cups.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
I don't get this at all for the Wings. That's too much money for a guy who should be a 3rd pairing D and for 3 years? Surely they could have done better than this?

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
If we sign an offensive guy like Klingberg to a short deal and put Holl on the 3rd pairing I hate It less?…

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Fine. I was a bit off on that timeline. Although Zadina is a bit better than my other 2 examples.

I just don't like that Yzerman gets so much credit for Vasilevskiy and Seider. He ended up right on Seider. But he also had huge misses in Connolly and Koekkoek. And with Vasilevskiy specifically, he had picked Koekkoek 9 picks before him. So it's not like he really was some genius. He was higher on Koekkoek than Vasilevskiy.

This Holl signing.
No idea what the hell happened with that Vrana situation.
Bringing in Yamamoto just to buy him out. If it was just to get Kostin, that still doesn't make much sense. He's not that good.

I question plenty of Yzerman's decisions. Nor do I think he deserves a lot of credit for TBL's cups.
Your two other examples are from over a decade ago lol.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He was never in a position to carry a pair. He was just the guy who was the detrimental piece on every pair he played with. Jake Muzzin hid his deficiencies for a time. This guy's positioning and puck decisions are horrendous. He has no offensive ability to speak of, but always jumps into the play.
He shouldn’t have been. That’s the entire point. That’s on Keefe.

Look, I’m the last person to stand up for Holl’s brain farts. I poke fun at him consistently, but to pretend he wasn’t overplayed in the wrong situations is ridiculous. It was a huge debate during the playoffs. Don’t pretend it wasn’t. For people to also pretend he wasn’t getting a contract in this area is also ridiculous. I’m just surprised it wasn’t Dubas to give it to him.

He’s a clear upgrade from Gustav Lindstrom for Detroit. What was their alternative right now? They desperately needed a RH dman. They were obviously in on Clifton, as the Holl signing came minutes afterwards. Klingberg and Dumba have more problems than Holl too. So the options weren’t great.

Reactions: WaW and TKB

spfan

May 4, 2009
Your two other examples are from over a decade ago lol.
Why does that matter?

You need that time to see what they become anyways.

And like I said you do need time to see what they become, but Cossa's not developing great.

I also was not a fan of his Kasper or Danielson picks. They're not bad players. But picked too high in my opinion.

And I'm not saying every pick he makes is bad. But there's plenty bad to go along with the good ones.

The ASP pick was a good one.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
We'll see what he does with the Pens. I hate the leafs. But I don't think Dubas was bad there. The only really dumb move was Murray.

But I'm also talking about Yzerman's drafting. People praise him for Seider. But he also drafted Connolly, Koekkoek. Zadina's not really working out.

Yzerman was not even with the Wings organization when Zadina was drafted.

So out of the hundred + players he's drafted you cite TWO players (both of whom were NHLers and were drafted over 10 years ago) to prove he's not a good gm??

Strong argument...

Did Dubas draft any of the core players for the Leafs as GM?

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Why does that matter?

And like I said you do need time to see what they become, but Cossa's not developing great.

I also was not a fan of his Kasper or Danielson picks. They're not bad players. But picked too high in my opinion.

And I'm not saying every pick he makes is bad. But there's plenty bad to go along with the good ones.

"Cossa's not developing great" is a fantastic sign of your insight into Detroit's pool.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Why does that matter?

Lmao in the same exact post you say - "you need time to see what they become"

And then literally call a pick from FOUR DAYS AGO a bad pick. You don't realize how hilarious that is?

Your issue is that you don't like Yzerman and the Wings, not that you actually have a good argument for him being a bad gm.

Reactions: Seider and Donuts

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Why does that matter?

Rookie GMs should get some slack especially after they make up for their mistakes 10-fold since then. So far Yzerman's drafting in Detroit has been impeccable. People hated the Seider pick, now they love it. Edvinsson was good, but looks even better now. Raymond was a Calder finalist. Kasper played one NHL game and looked like a puck hound. Danielson seems to be underrated due to not being "flashy".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad