Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Justin Holl signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $3.4M AAV)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This is literally double the max I would consider paying him. I know Detroit is bad and free agency has lots of overpays, but still… yikes

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If Clifton got $3.3, Holl should get right around there too. He was completely mis-used in TO and we all know it. They asked him to carry a pair, and play too many important minutes. That’s not his game unless it’s the bottom pair.

It’s not the contract that’s bad. He was getting at least that. I actually thought he’d get over $4 million. The question is, what is Detroit expecting? If it’s to play to his strengths, he’ll be fine as a supporting dman. If it’s to carry the second pair, it’ll be bad.

We’ve seen it 1000 times. When players are forced into the wrong role, it goes sideways. Ben Chiarot last year. He’s not being brought in to be the savior.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Just when I thought Dorion was gonna win the worst signing of FA, Detroit swoops in to save the day. Thanks Stevie.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
:laugh:

Yamamoto wasn't worth 3+M for 1 more year, but Holl is worth 10.2M to Yzerman??
Money is not one of the top 5 reasons Yamamoto was bought out and Holl signed.

Only 21 million left in cap space this season. 43 mil left next season and 64 mil the year after that (Holl's last year).

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
This is the guy that was so bad in the playoffs that it became a National story line. What in gods name is Yzerman thinking? He might legitimately be the worst regular player in the nhl.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Guy was overplayed in Toronto, Keefe sometimes gave him more minutes than Rielly. If he's getting 18–19 min per night and can simplify his game he could be useful (theoretically). He's not much of a hockey player though in the sense of skating/puck-handling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad