Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
saw some people on Reddit upset we issued 93 to him as though the team was going to retire Franzen's number, insane
Oops, meant to reply, did something wrong, had to edit:

I know we've had this discussion before, but I think most people agree that for significant players, there should be a grace period. It's not based on any number of years retired, for me, just a feeling, but I feel like it's a little soon for 93. It's still Franzen.

But we will run out of 2 digit numbers eventually, so I'm not up in arms about it or anything.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009

I know we've had this discussion before, but I think most people agree that for significant players, there should be a grace period. It's not based on any number of years retired, for me, just a feeling, but I feel like it's a little soon for 93. It's still Franzen.

But we will run out of 2 digit numbers eventually, so I'm not up in arms about it or anything.
92 would’ve been cool. Honestly I totally forgot franzen was wearing 93 until you mentioned it. He’s been gone years so it’s fine by me. He should’ve stayed with 39

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I wore 30 in football because my oldest brother wore 30 in football. Cat wearing his brother's birth year seems weird but I get it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Shanahan had a much greater impact than Franzen and Derek Meech wore 14, 2 seasons after Shanny left.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Shanahan had a much greater impact than Franzen and Derek Meech wore 14, 2 seasons after Shanny left.
Shanahan also spent half his best years with other teams before the Wings traded for him and left as a free agent while still a good player that just had a 40 goal season

there's a difference between that and someone that only ever played for the Wings and was forced into retirement by concussions

not that I really personally care about either of those guys numbers being used

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Shanahan also spent half his best years with other teams before the Wings traded for him and left as a free agent while still a good player that just had a 40 goal season

there's a difference between that and someone that only ever played for the Wings and was forced into retirement by concussions

Say whatever you want but Shanahan is Red Wings Royalty

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I am one of Johan Franzen's biggest fans and I can easily say he was not impactful enough for his number to get "that" kind of treatment.

His career high in goals/points was 34/59, respectively, and it happened on a cup contender with all three of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Hossa for other teams to contend with.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Shanny wasn't just some player, he was intrical to us becoming a Cup Champion not once but 3 times while he was here. We were a perennial playoff loser until we got him, and he changed much about the makeup of our team. His value to Detroit is not only higher, but way higher than Franzen, and I like Franzen a lot.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Shanny wasn't just some player, he was intrical to us becoming a Cup Champion not once but 3 times while he was here. We were a perennial playoff loser until we got him, and he changed much about the makeup of our team. His value to Detroit is not only higher, but way higher than Franzen, and I like Franzen a lot.
Exactly. The final pieces of the puzzle were Brendan Shanahan and Larry Murphy.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Exactly!! Well said and awesome Post. I Think of Shanahan just a tick beleow Yzerman Lidstrom and Fedorov and by tick I mean just barely. Guy gave us some amazing years and was a straight up beast come playoff time.

Reactions: deca guard

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just watched that 2022 Blues-series... Shanny and Hull beating the Blues.

Maybe Yzerman got this ex-Blues-hoarding idea from there.

And also, Pronger was pretty nasty against him, before getting injured. Seems to be that Yzerman's ideal future defence will be:

Pronger-Pronger
Pronger-Pronger
Pronger-Pronger

At least we have one in Seider...

Reactions: SantosHalper

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
but if you add 9+3 together you get his original number of 12 though.
Maybe that's why he chose 12 in the first place

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad