Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
OMG I thought this was a response to me. I almost died LMAO.

To be fair to your statement about vegas in the playoffs: They also were 13th in the league in hits during the regular season, so they weren't crazy big hitters throughout the year. Everyone knows that in the playoffs everyone hits more.

Example: Florida panthers in the regular season were 24th in the league in hits given. In the playoffs they were #1

Fair enough, but 3 things:

1) You gotta get into the playoffs first, and this team is closer in scoring talent to Vegas (272 GF) than Florida (290 GF).
2) Florida barely made it to the playoffs. They were coasting a bit too much in the regular season, their fan base will tell you that.
3) Both team have a lot of playoff experience, they know when to turn it up. If this team can't turn it up enough to win regular season games, then they aren't gonna win in the playoffs.

I'm getting ahead of myself anyways, they have to make the playoff first to worry about it. Plus I think they'll get traded once Danielson and Kasper are on the roster, and at that point nobody will care about Burger anyways. He's the shiny new toy until the next one shows up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I hate deploying a checking line and chasing that matchup. If we don't have faith in our top line going out against their top line then we're probably screwed.

You know there's 16 different possibilities for line matching? And even more if you expand it to defensive pairs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The point of hitting is not to have the other team scared to get hit (although it is a huge plus). The point of hitting is to take a key player out of the current play that may be integral to whatever is happening. That is why, in the playoffs especially, players hit another guy and the hitter uses the "hit-tee" to get up, or lays on top of them far longer than needed. It is to take the pawn off the board while play is still alive.

Back in the day, you hit someone to take them out of the game, not the play. Today's world is the opposite (most of the time).

Lot's of debate here about those hits and takeaways.

You know what, thanks to one manager game I'm making ratings, after over decade of experience We've noticed that what's called a "hit" at some NHL arena, is count as "takeaway" on other arenas.

NHL stat department is a mess, there's a lot of variation on the play. Only way to find a solution for this, was to merge hits and takeaways to have a "puck retrieval" value, which the game calls as "forecheking".

That started to put some weird stats right.

All are talking about thse puck retrievals, it's just stealing the puck with a stick or stealing the puck after a body contact. That later one is the "hit".

This old time hockey "hitting a guy out of the game", that's another story, and it has totally different value called as "hard hitting" on this game.

Think if I get same stats about this "forecheking" values out at some point, let's look how Wings current player material compares to Vegas etc.

DeBrincat will use his body for hit, to make a puck retrieval. He will use also his stick for a takeaway. Both are same thing. He is stealing the puck from the opposite team --> for his team. With one way or another.

Last edited:

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Can someone please explain this concern about our top line not being effective because they’re too small? As if DeBrincat hasn’t played with smaller line mates before? Or Larkin and Raymond?

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Can someone please explain this concern about our top line not being effective because they’re too small? As if DeBrincat hasn’t played with smaller line mates before? Or Larkin and Raymond?
There's a belief that small lines, no matter how talented, will inevitably be physically overmatched to the point of them needing to be broken up, or avoided altogether.

I contend that you have to at least try it, because the payoff is huge if it works. I also contend that they can work, if they have enough quickness and can maintain a high enough level of puck possession. You can't be physically overmatched if the defenders can't catch you and never have the puck.

The very first line that should be attempted (in camp, preseason, whatever) is DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond. Go with the line of pure talent and see how they do. That has to be plan A.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Lot's of debate here about those hits and takeaways.

You know what, thanks to one manager game I'm making ratings, after over decade of experience We've noticed that what's called a "hit" at some NHL arena, is count as "takeaway" on other arenas.

NHL stat department is a mess, there's a lot of variation on the play. Only way to find a solution for this, was to merge hits and takeaways to have a "puck retrieval" value, which the game calls as "forecheking".

That started to put some weird stats right.

All are talking about thse puck retrievals, it's just stealing the puck with a stick or stealing the puck after a body contact. That later one is the "hit".

This old time hockey "hitting a guy out of the game", that's another story, and it has totally different value called as "hard hitting" on this game.

Think if I get same stats about this "forecheking" values out at some point, let's look how Wings current player material compares to Vegas etc.

DeBrincat will use his body for hit, to make a puck retrieval. He will use also his stick for a takeaway. Both are same thing. He is stealing the puck from the opposite team --> for his team. With one way or another.
Interesting insight. Didn't know they had different ways to count it like that. I do agree with you that some arenas in the league have the stat counters that say one thing is a hit and another says they just bumped into each other so no hit. It's absurd that these people are not managed by one actual department.

For instance, I works for my university's sports media relations department when going to school. Part of my job at games (volleyball for example) was to run the stat sheets to the announcers, fill in to say what happened in the play to put into the stats, etc. I wasn't regulated by the NCAA at all or trained by them. So I can only imagine these people are in the somewhat same situation where they "work" for the NHL but aren't managed by them.

They should probably have league officials doing the actual stat counting and inputs because one teams hit is another teams takeaway? Honestly, I would add both stats...if Debrincat makes a hit on a player to take the puck away, then it should be a +1 in the stat column for both hit and takeaway, not to choose whichever one because of the outcome. That's just ridiculous.

Fair enough, but 3 things:

1) You gotta get into the playoffs first, and this team is closer in scoring talent to Vegas (272 GF) than Florida (290 GF).
2) Florida barely made it to the playoffs. They were coasting a bit too much in the regular season, their fan base will tell you that.
3) Both team have a lot of playoff experience, they know when to turn it up. If this team can't turn it up enough to win regular season games, then they aren't gonna win in the playoffs.

I'm getting ahead of myself anyways, they have to make the playoff first to worry about it. Plus I think they'll get traded once Danielson and Kasper are on the roster, and at that point nobody will care about Burger anyways. He's the shiny new toy until the next one shows up.
I mean...I agree with you but that wasn't the argument...at least I didn't think it was?

Regardless. I am in the camp that even if we squeak into a playoff spot this year, I would be much happier we did so then to just not make the playoffs at all. I want Seider/larkin/ray/berg/kasper to see what the playoffs are actually about. IDC if we lose 4-0 in the first round, I honestly don't. Would I prefer for us to win a round or two or just a couple games, of course, I'm not an idiot. But, I want our players, especially the younger ones, to feel the atmosphere of a playoff game. I want them to feel that difference and get that experience to understand what it is going to take in order to get there and stay there again.

Seider is the perfect player to play in the playoffs. His style of play is literally what most teams wished they had in some of their players. But Seider has no idea what the playoffs are all about. I want them to feel that pain, fuc* the draft position. We aren't going to get top 10 anymore barring major injuries to major players. So, now is the time to make the push and start to feel it.

I hate deploying a checking line and chasing that matchup. If we don't have faith in our top line going out against their top line then we're probably screwed.
The whole point of the "grind line" was to disrupt the lines of the other team. They could hang with Sakic/forsberg or other top lines out there...that doesn't mean yzerman and shanahan couldn't handle them...

No, you don't want to chase the matchup but there are teams that think "oh the 4th line is out there because they iced the puck, lets put our 1st line out there to try to capitalize". But if your 4th line can handle 1st line opponents or at least give them pause to do this scenario, then the 4th line did it's job.

Again, I'll reiterate, Yzerman could handle Sakic. Doesn't mean Bowman can't deploy Draper to subdue Sakic while Yzerman can go out there against a lower tiered opposition to create chances. Most teams don't have a 4th line that could do anything to opposing teams 3rd lines. But if we can get a 4th line reincarnated grind line to go up and give frustration to mackinnon or rantenan then we should be all for it, no? Doesn't mean Larkin can't handle mackinnon.

There's a belief that small lines, no matter how talented, will inevitably be physically overmatched to the point of them needing to be broken up, or avoided altogether.

I contend that you have to at least try it, because the payoff is huge if it works. I also contend that they can work, if they have enough quickness and can maintain a high enough level of puck possession. You can't be physically overmatched if the defenders can't catch you and never have the puck.

The very first line that should be attempted (in camp, preseason, whatever) is DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond. Go with the line of pure talent and see how they do. That has to be plan A.
I mean, a lot of debrincat haters on these boards bring up that he's too small and only was good because of patrick kane.

Kane played like a fragile speed skater that could make plays and he was always on the first line. Then you add debrincat to his line and they are even smaller but people will only bring up that debrincat was good because of kane. Kane is 5'10'' and plays like he is 5'7''. Smaller players can play big minutes against big players if they play with speed, agility, and quickness.

Not to mention that debrincat has played in this league for the past what 5 years and played top line minutes most of the time. So he has done it before...probably will do it again.

Reactions: Sentinel and jaster

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

When did Patrick Kane become a power forward? I guess I don’t understand the concern. Over a 7 game playoff series, sure, but let’s get there first 😁

Reactions: jaster

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think his size is off the table for discussion, he is seriously undersized for the NHL but the game has also changed a lot, I think this would have been a deal breaker back in the 90's when defenders could hook and ride the player like they were wearing a backpack to the net.

Lots of small super skilled guys now like Jonny Hockey. I know its an uphill battle but Theo Flurry was like 5'7'' I think with skill, compete, hockey sense and the new rules I am not as worried as I first was. It's also not like he hasn't already proved his effectiveness.

There is way more that can go right with this trade than wrong.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mean, a lot of debrincat haters on these boards bring up that he's too small and only was good because of patrick kane.

Kane played like a fragile speed skater that could make plays and he was always on the first line. Then you add debrincat to his line and they are even smaller but people will only bring up that debrincat was good because of kane. Kane is 5'10'' and plays like he is 5'7''. Smaller players can play big minutes against big players if they play with speed, agility, and quickness.

Not to mention that debrincat has played in this league for the past what 5 years and played top line minutes most of the time. So he has done it before...probably will do it again.

I think there's only one Cat hater, Nick probably is a dog guy. I'm not a huge Cat fan, but I don't think you can complain about the contract. He'll make the team interesting to watch for the next 4 years.

If a line is so offensively gifted, the opponent has to respect that, and they won't go around chasing the players and get out of position. Raymond isn't Kane though, and the league already knows they can rattle him with hits. What we're really debating here is who's the other winger on the top line.....

My bet is Perron, Raz, or Copp in that order. Ray might get thrown in there only when the team is down by 2 or more goals.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think there's only one Cat hater, Nick probably is a dog guy. I'm not a huge Cat fan, but I don't think you can complain about the contract. He'll make the team interesting to watch for the next 4 years.

If a line is so offensively gifted, the opponent has to respect that, and they won't go around chasing the players and get out of position. Raymond isn't Kane though, and the league already knows they can rattle him with hits. What we're really debating here is who's the other winger on the top line.....

My bet is Perron, Raz, or Copp in that order. Ray might get thrown in there only when the team is down by 2 or more goals.
I fuc*in hate cats. Got bitten by one when i was like 6 and my hand got infected and from that point on...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I fuc*in hate cats. Got bitten by one when i was like 6 and my hand got infected and from that point on...

I take care of a feral cat, brought him indoors and he'd shit and piss himself any time there was a loud noise, like the air compressor in the garage. So now he's an outdoor cat with a heated shelter, and I call him Shitty Kitty, which is also my nickname for DeBrincat.

• Haha
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I got bit by a stray cat and had to get rabbis shots :DD But I'll still snuggle a kitty

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
You don't have to explain it to me, I've played the game. It doesn't change the fact that the Wings don't hit enough AND have issues winning puck battles. If you can't win the puck battle then at least take the opponent out of the play. FWIW, the Wings were second to worst in the league for 5 on 5 takeaways. The best? Seattle. They threw 6 fewer hits than the Wings (ranked #20), but they didn't need to.

Basically the options are steal the puck, win the puck battle, or hit to get the opponent out of the play. The Wings collectively aren't good at any of them, and Burger ranks at the bottom if you look at combined TK+hits. Stats aside, he's not good defensively, and doesn't score enough to make up for it.

None of this was a knock on DeBrincat, I just have issues throwing Ray or Burger on his line. I think those 2 kids are way overrated here.
Obviously there is not a sane path forward where these two become wrecking balls on the ice, but I would imagine continued strength and conditioning will allow these two to be more effective physically. I mean look how long it has taken Ras to start using his size effectively. These are all young men, in the recent past they were still teenagers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, about that...

Could we not?

I'll make a deal here.... I'll stop if he scores more than 66 pts this season (last year's total). In the meantime, I'll use it sparingly. You can remind me at the end of the season. If he scores less than 50, the nickname becomes permanent. I think last year's numbers are more than a fair, and I want him to succeed now that's he's a Wing.

Obviously there is not a sane path forward where these two become wrecking balls on the ice, but I would imagine continued strength and conditioning will allow these two to be more effective physically. I mean look how long it has taken Ras to start using his size effectively. These are all young men, in the recent past they were still teenagers.

Burger is close to 200 lbs, he just doesn't use it. Raymond needs to bulk up more because he's getting knocked around, but he's got twice as many takeaways than Burger, who needs to work on his defensive play. I might be biased, but seems like the Euro players don't battle as much or as hard for the puck, when I watch SHL games.

Raz needed work on his edge work and skating, his size and mental grit were there from the start. It came together when he fixed his skating, so it's a completely different issue. Now if he works on his puck handling and shooting, we'll be talking more about him than Ray or Burger.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
saw some people on Reddit upset we issued 93 to him as though the team was going to retire Franzen's number, insane

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Debrincat came to NHL training camp as a 19 year old (turned 20 in Dec) at 5'7" and forced his way into a prominent role on the Hawks and never looked back. He knows how to play an NHL game at 5'7"

This was 18-19, his 1st 40 goal season ES production. Pat Kane isn't that prominent on the list if I'm being honest, probably had a lot of assists on his 13 PPG. But look at his top production at ES, a 5'11" Kahun who washed out of the NHL having his best season as a rookie that year (37 points) and Dylan Strome who came in a trade during the season.

1689373752480.png

Reactions: SoupNazi

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Debrincat came to NHL training camp as a 19 year old (turned 20 in Dec) at 5'7" and forced his way into a prominent role on the Hawks and never looked back. He knows how to play an NHL game at 5'7"

This was 18-19, his 1st 40 goal season ES production. Pat Kane isn't that prominent on the list if I'm being honest, probably had a lot of assists on his 13 PPG. But look at his top production at ES, a 5'11" Kahun who washed out of the NHL having his best season as a rookie that year (37 points) and Dylan Strome who came in a trade during the season.

View attachment 728967

I bet Dominik Kahun would still be in the NHL today if only DeBrincat had told the Coaching staff the truth that he was being carried by him

so not only does DeBrincat need people to carry him but he has character issues as well

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad