Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
@norrisnick

I understand being cautious in regards to the Debrincat situation. As I have stated my points of view on that.

But now that the deal is consummated... I am very confident in a few things:

1). The top line will be Debrincat-Larkin-???

2) Debrincat will be given #1 PP Time.

The idea of paying a player that much, and NOT giving him the PP time is inconceivable.

Don't you worry, if Debrincat disappoints in Detroit, it won't be because Perron or Fabbri are taking opportunities away from him.

We will legit see what this man can do in prime situations.
We should all be excited now...because the choice was made, deal is done. We are all on board now in the hopes Debrincat kills it!

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I want this blue wings fleece/swater/quarter zip thing
1689008213606.png

Is that the same one? That's almost black, but yes, looks nice.

Reactions: Ezekial

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Probably because of Vrana.

You gotta wonder what was going on with the Czechs in the locker room though, haven't seen a GM dump 4 players like that since the Capitals limo incident. That's how DIno wound up in Detroit.

Anyways, Shitty Kitty is not Vrana, I'm not worried. Although he probably won't hit 1 PPG in this system.
Setting the over-under on Debrincat power-play goals at 0.5. Go!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Setting the over-under on Debrincat power-play goals at 0.5. Go!

He's not my fav player, but I'm warming up to the trade because it probably makes DBoss happy. He doesn't deserve to be playing with a half ass player like Mantha and another winger that constantly shits the bed like Ambertuzzi.

I hope Shitty Kitty lights it up. I'm not gonna post my expectations, for once I will NOT be the Debbie Downer. Someone has already decided to take that role anyways.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
How was Hudler utilized on the Wings? What in the past 25+ years through multiple coaching regimes would lead you to believe a player of that prototype would be utilized effectively in Detroit? Maybe it's different with a guy that got his opportunity elsewhere first, but historically the Wings don't give pure-offense guys free rein. It's not a dislike for DeBrincat, really. It's a hesitancy in belief that what you see elsewhere will hold true here. Which then makes trading for that player kinda expensive for marginal gains. I wouldn't be banging the drum to bring in Hudler either.

Maybe it'll be different with Lalonde this year, but the deployment of Kubalik, Vrana, Zadina, Berggren, etc... raise doubts that DeBrincat will have ironclad top line top PP deployment. He made some noises at the end of the season that sounded vaguely like our offensive issues might have had something to do with deployment/strategy, but we'll see how that pans out.

That maybe a fair critisism, but there is also a different coaching staff in place. Babcock matched Zetterberg and Datsyuk against opponent's top lines, which made Hudler's deployment there impossible. Lalonde actually used Copp in a more defensive way and Larkin got less defensive assignments. Now with Compher in town, he will have another very good defensive center. Especially with Lalonde admitting, that he has to do a better job in order to facilitate offensive output.

As for PP, you have to be delusional not use DeBrincat on your first unit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So the concern is that Lalonde might not properly deploy the guy that (a) Yzerman just paid a 1st for and made the most expensive player on the team outside of Larkin, and (b) has a more productive goal-scoring record than any winger on the team?

Ok. I guess that’s not a metaphysical impossibility. Don’t think I’m gonna lose sleep over it though.

and if the worst thing people can find to complain about for a move is inventing hypotheticals like "what if they only play him 12 minutes a night?" then that's a pretty good move

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Chiarot is going nowhere. He was 3rd in TOI, used in all situations, they used in literally every possible spot through the pairs, I think he is very well-liked and trusted by the Detroit staff. Which was exactly the same outlook and use that he saw with MTL and FLA as well. This is one of those guys hockey peeps love and fans love to blame.

I was on the Chiarot support train - he has been a disappointment but I also don't see him as radioactive as many here do. I don't think they've found a suitable partner for him or how to use him exactly right yet.

All that to be said, like with all veteran defenseman, when the time does come, he is going to have trade value and we will net assets back for him - more than what people think he's worth.
If Chiarot allows the offensive dman to play offense and sticks to a defensive role he isn't terrible. He just spent way too much time last year thinking he should carry the puck.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
If Chiarot allows the offensive dman to play offense and sticks to a defensive role he isn't terrible. He just spent way too much time last year thinking he should carry the puck.

Agreed. I think in a perfect world, they plant him on his more natural left side, and tell him to stop trying to drive the play and to keep it simple, make a good first past, and jam anyone who comes near the crease. Its like he gets too excited and just flat out tries to do too much and pulls himself so far out of position or panics and makes a poor pass...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Maybe we should put him with Gostisbehere.

If we don't trade after any RHD, Gosti is the clear 1st LHD candidate to play on right. He has been on that side maybe more than he has been on left during his career.

Walman - Seider
Chia/Määt - Gostisbehere
Chia/Määt - Holl
----------
Edvi - Lindström

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How was Hudler utilized on the Wings? What in the past 25+ years through multiple coaching regimes would lead you to believe a player of that prototype would be utilized effectively in Detroit?
Like a guy who was not interested at all in playing when the other team had the puck.

# of hits Hudler had in 7 years with the Wings: 128
# of hits DeBrincat had last year: 109

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That maybe a fair critisism, but there is also a different coaching staff in place. Babcock matched Zetterberg and Datsyuk against opponent's top lines, which made Hudler's deployment there impossible. Lalonde actually used Copp in a more defensive way and Larkin got less defensive assignments. Now with Compher in town, he will have another very good defensive center. Especially with Lalonde admitting, that he has to do a better job in order to facilitate offensive output.

As for PP, you have to be delusional not use DeBrincat on your first unit.

One of the best lines Zetterberg was on was with Hudler and Flip. Hudler wasn't fast and he could have pulled in a second paycheck as an oompa loompa in willy wonka, but the guy processed the game on a very high level. Maybe he would have been victimized more in the playoffs but I think Hudler deserved a longer look than he got in the top 6.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

he is who he is. I think that's why you stick him with Holl, and let Holl carry the defensive load and be the safe guy, and let Maata be the steady guy next to Ghost.

Reactions: TheOctopusKid

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I gotta say, as someone who easy skeptical about trading for Debrincat, I am quite pleased.

My concerns:

1) we’re overpaying Ottawa to get him. In that regard I think yzerman did quite well. The latter of our firsts ensures we won’t be giving up a great 1st rounder, Kubalik is great but expendable and the rest isn’t likely to be of much concern. Great work here

2) overpaying Debrincat. 7.9 isn’t cheap but keeping it under 8 and on a mid term ensures flexibility and at least decent value. Don’t love the trade clause but it’s unlikely we’d want to trade him anyway.

Overall this was some great work by yzerman and I am pumped that we added some talent to the top 6

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Don't know if you guys haven't taken a look or not....but dam the last 3 pages or so on the OTT boards about debrincat is hilarious.

They think they'll get 30 goals out of kubalik and debrincat's "style of play" wasn't good for them...

This is going to be a great year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
and if the worst thing people can find to complain about for a move is inventing hypotheticals like "what if they only play him 12 minutes a night?" then that's a pretty good move

Yeah, but what if he plays 4 minutes one night, and 26 minutes the next night, that only gets him to 15 minutes average! Those are not great minutes/60 totals.

He is clearly Bobby Orr in the making, let him roam!

he is who he is. I think that's why you stick him with Holl, and let Holl carry the defensive load and be the safe guy, and let Maata be the steady guy next to Ghost.

Problem is, Holl is anything but safe.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Don't know if you guys haven't taken a look or not....but dam the last 3 pages or so on the OTT boards about debrincat is hilarious.

They think they'll get 30 goals out of kubalik and debrincat's "style of play" wasn't good for them...

This is going to be a great year.
I'd like to imagine the reactions from Ottawa fans if this trade didn't happen and we were sitting here saying we're better off with Kubalik than DeBrincat. LOL.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'd like to imagine the reactions from Ottawa fans if this trade didn't happen and we were sitting here saying we're better off with Kubalik than DeBrincat. LOL.
I am pretty sure there is only 2, maybe 3 people here that want this outcome...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I rather have AA over Fabbri (always hurt) and Zadina (always hurt and sucks)

Don't worry about your one dimensional player with high G/60, Stevie covered that by signing Sprong before trading Kubalik. I'm guessing he was gonna get traded in the Czech purge one way or the other. Maybe Zadina saw it coming and wanted out.

I mean, all these posts about getting 12 min/game, that sounds a lot more like Sprong than Shitty Kitty. I'll venture to guess that will be Sprong's TOI average, could be even less.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
It's not a damn Czech purge.

Fun cute little dig, but it's completely freaking coincidental. Hronek was dealt because he wasn't worth the 7M+ contract that was pending for him. Vrana was a space cadet and the Wings gave him away because of it. Kubalik was part of a package to get like Kubalik Deluxe. and Zadina has been a wild disappointment for years.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Like a guy who was not interested at all in playing when the other team had the puck.

# of hits Hudler had in 7 years with the Wings: 128
# of hits DeBrincat had last year: 109
Interesting statistics on # of hits. Watched Debrincat play a lot of junior. He's never been shy about sticking his nose in.

Hudler had one very good season that he never approached before or since. People have to realize that was an exception, not the standard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad