Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Karlsson was a hard sell for me even when we had 30 mil in cap space. The problem also is it sounds like the Sharks actually want value for him, and well I would be too scared he goes back to just playing 40-50 games a season and 30-40 pts.

We are gonna get that with Ghost, just without the 11mil cap hit.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
10:30 presser

“I’d rather the $1.8M then a guy playing in the AHL.” - Yzerman re Zadina. That sums it up. Lol.

Ben Chiarot is in the building right now in the middle of the summer. Yzerman talking with him about next season. People can stop fantasizing about him getting traded.

Re cap space;
“I’m not going to rule anything out. If there is a great player out there and opportunity comes along that makes us better. I’d be willing to do that”.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Think those will go at same deal, and only Sharks can take a crap contract, which would help on their TANK.

That's why I see Karlsson more probable trade than Pesce.

There's no reason for Carolina to take a poor contract. Maybe Määttä goes instead, who knows.

Everything we know about how CAR operates, they are hypersensitive to contract value. They are not a free-wheeling, do whatever it costs kind of organization. They are obsessed with never exceeding the organizationally decided upon dollar value of a player. It's led them to all sorts of off the cuff moves for them.

I have a hard time imagining there is something that the Wings have that is inline with their valuation AND helps them win now since their window is open and they are looking for Cup now. So prospects and picks aren't probably the driver there, so they want roster players. They could move Pesce but that leaves a pretty significant hole on the RD side for them... I don't see what we would have that they would want to make it work for Pesce; unless they think they can spot fill the RD spot and make a run for Ras or something?

All that's to say, if there is truth to the rumor a significant move for a veteran D, it's probably for Karlsson for all the reasons you alluded it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You want Yzerman to make a trade that's as awful as the DeBrincat trade is good?

C'mon, trading for Erik Karlsson is not a bad trade.

Think Karlsson caphit with 8.7M would work very well. Also if one LhD goes, at least with Määttä 3M caphit.

That sets us up with Seider + Raymond bonuses and there's 25M extra million of capspace 1 year after. Nothing like we can't extend them.

1689000735327.png

Future years:

1689000837333.png

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
“I’d rather the $1.8M then a guy playing in the AHL.” - Yzerman re Zadina. That sums it up. Lol.

Ben Chiarot is in the building right now in the middle of the summer. Yzerman talking with him about next season. People can stop fantasizing about him getting traded.

Chiarot is going nowhere. He was 3rd in TOI, used in all situations, they used in literally every possible spot through the pairs, I think he is very well-liked and trusted by the Detroit staff. Which was exactly the same outlook and use that he saw with MTL and FLA as well. This is one of those guys hockey peeps love and fans love to blame.

I was on the Chiarot support train - he has been a disappointment but I also don't see him as radioactive as many here do. I don't think they've found a suitable partner for him or how to use him exactly right yet.

All that to be said, like with all veteran defenseman, when the time does come, he is going to have trade value and we will net assets back for him - more than what people think he's worth.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
No to Karlsson.

Chiarot is going nowhere. He was 3rd in TOI, used in all situations, they used in literally every possible spot through the pairs, I think he is very well-liked and trusted by the Detroit staff. Which was exactly the same outlook and use that he saw with MTL and FLA as well. This is one of those guys hockey peeps love and fans love to blame.

I was on the Chiarot support train - he has been a disappointment but I also don't see him as radioactive as many here do. I don't think they've found a suitable partner for him or how to use him exactly right yet.

All that to be said, like with all veteran defenseman, when the time does come, he is going to have trade value and we will net assets back for him - more than what people think he's worth.
Yep. Chiarot was an awful match to play with Seider. He doesn't want to defer to the rookie and that's why they didn't work.

Reactions: Sentinel

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
C'mon, trading for Erik Karlsson is not a bad trade.

Think Karlsson caphit with 8.7M would work very well. Also if one LhD goes, at least with Määttä 3M caphit.

That sets us up with Seider + Raymond bonuses and there's 25M extra million of capspace 1 year after. Nothing like we can't extend them.

View attachment 727670

Future years:

View attachment 727671
It really is.

The Wings would need to give up assets to bring him here, take on a contract that's almost certain to have a higher AAV than Larkins, all for an injury-prone 33 year-old defenseman who scores a lot but doesn't play defense and is extremely unlikely to repeat last season's performance.

No thanks.

Reactions: Puck5 and SoupNazi

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I liked Yzerman's comparisosns for Brincat: Loob and Mats Naslund - this organisation translates everything to swedish :D. I really liked Hakan Loob though, shame he didn't want to stay in NA

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Does Pete need to be here?

Yes he does.

I liked Yzerman's comparisosns for Brincat: Loob and Mats Naslund - this organisation translates everything to swedish :D. I really liked Hakan Loob though, shame he didn't want to stay in NA
Also, holy shit, Hakan Loob was a damn good player. Granted, it was the 1980s, so everyone was scoring like Barney Stinson.

• Wow

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Excellent trade. In terms of just this forum, my favorite part is ridding ourselves of Kubalik. Aside from @norrisnick's final spat of kicking and screaming about the guy in this thread, the death throes of an evaluation of a player bordering on insanity, I'm glad I won't have to hear about how Kubalik needs more TOI in Detroit anymore :neener:

Kubalik was a player who got the correct amount of TOI. Great shot, but a very one-dimensional player who vanishes for weeks on end, more than your average goal-scorer. I recall having basically that opinion of the guy when we acquired him, and then I saw him do a couple things early in the season that made me think maybe I was wrong about him, like that forecheck where he stripped the puck from the guy behind the net and then scored. If we had had that Kubalik all season things may have been different. But alas, that was an anomaly, and it didn't take long for Kubalik to cool off and go on to score only 11 goals in the final 63 games, including only 3 PP goals despite getting heaps of PPTOI.

He was a ghost out there most of the time, and seeing so many people writing him into the 1st line this off-season was cringe for me. His contract was fine, but I doubt he comes that cheap on his next one, so he wasn't a guy I saw in Detroit past this season anyway. Very good use of him as a trade asset.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Excellent trade. In terms of just this forum, my favorite part is ridding ourselves of Kubalik. Aside from @norrisnick's final spat of kicking and screaming about the guy in this thread, the death throes of an evaluation of a player bordering on insanity, I'm glad I won't have to hear about how Kubalik needs more TOI in Detroit anymore :neener:

Kubalik was a player who got the correct amount of TOI. Great shot, but a very one-dimensional player who vanishes for weeks on end, more than your average goal-scorer. I recall having basically that opinion of the guy when we acquired him, and then I saw him do a couple things early in the season that made me think maybe I was wrong about him, like that forecheck where he stripped the puck from the guy behind the net and then scored. If we had had that Kubalik all season things may have been different. But alas, that was an anomaly, and it didn't take long for Kubalik to cool off and go on to score only 11 goals in the final 63 games, including only 3 PP goals despite getting heaps of PPTOI.

He was a ghost out there most of the time, and seeing so many people writing him into the 1st line this off-season was cringe for me. His contract was fine, but I doubt he comes that cheap on his next one, so he wasn't a guy I saw in Detroit past this season anyway. Very good use of him as a trade asset.
Good luck after the honeymoon...

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I rather have AA over Fabbri
Is there a puking emoji? I thought there was a puking emoji, but I can't find it.

All this trading for Karlsson talk is really killing my buzz from the DeBrincat trade.
Is it anyone other than Henkka suggesting it at this point? Granted, Henkka is pretty annoyingly repetitive about it, and it's killing my buzz as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It really is.

The Wings would need to give up assets to bring him here, take on a contract that's almost certain to have a higher AAV than Larkins, all for an injury-prone 33 year-old defenseman who scores a lot but doesn't play defense and is extremely unlikely to repeat last season's performance.

No thanks.
Sticking that type of player in the #4 slot while probably getting #5 or #6 TOI at ES is about as far as I imagine Yzerman is willing to go (Gostisibehere). I really can't imagine Yzerman being at all interested in Karlsson given where this organization is at right now. And that's before you even consider the cost of acquiring the guy.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Thanks. I hope Debrincat works out. Nothing is a sure thing, but he has a profile unmatched by any recent Wings and he fills a need, so I'm not too worried.
Me too. I just have doubts. Though I'm intrigued at your enthusiasm at a tiny, not A+ skater, that's suspect defensively, but everyone needs a first, right?

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Because Kubalik is the type of guy you pick up off the scrap heap and hope for production. He’s a one-trick pony and while the trick may be a good one.. you’re going to be in trouble if you fall in love with it.

Kubalik is new age Curtis Glencross. Guy you sign for cheap who pops for 20. But at the end of the day, you realize that’s what the player is
He is 20 goals scorer? It is not a rocket science. Kubalik just like Glencross are good NHLers. Not everyone in this league is a star.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He is 20 goals scorer? It is not a rocket science. Kubalik just like Glencross are good NHLers. Not everyone in this league is a star.
yeah if you can upgrade a Kubalik to a DeBrincat at a reasonable price you shouldn't lose sleep over it but that doesn't mean he's a bad player

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

Right. I agree. You need guys like Kubalik to fill your roster. They are a help.

But you don’t turn down a much better player to keep them. You look at the FA pool, in other teams systems, or the draft to continually find those guys.

It’s what Yzerman is doing exceedingly well and what Holland was so terrible at.

Kubalik was a great, not good add for us in FA last year. He was a big help. Now, he was a big help in landing a much better player than himself.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Me too. I just have doubts. Though I'm intrigued at your enthusiasm at a tiny, not A+ skater, that's suspect defensively, but everyone needs a first, right?
When you post stuff like this once, it's freedom of speech. When you post it several times across multiple threads, it's effectively stirring the pot.

Maybe enjoy the summer and circle back when it's closer to the start of the season. Because while there's nothing wrong with dissenting, you seem to be doing so in a way that will lead to nobody wanting to dialogue with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad