Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’m nervous about this. I’m just not a big believer in Debrincat. He is not the saviour ya’ll hoping for.

Yzerman better be buying low

Doesn't have to be saviour, just quality skill player. DeBrincat is that "zadina" who will score real goals normally like Zadina never didn't. This is fixing all what Zadina supposed to be.

So basically we traded pending Ufa Bertuzzi, Kubalik,sebrango and a 4th for DeBrincat back with term?! How is this not a win?????!!!

In Bertuzzi trade we got 1st + 4th, now we did sent 1st (cond) + 4th to Ottawa.

So the trade was Bertuzzi (pend UFA) + Kubalik (1-year) + Sebrango <> DeBrincat (4 years)
Yea, ADB's gonna make Raymond a rich man this season

Pretty sceptical for that. See Perron on the top line feeding DeBrincat. Raymond will go to middle6 lines, feeding probably Fabbri or Sprong.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still have 8 plus in cap space.... Yzerman sucks tho, you are right.
So we are gonna go after Erik Karlsson next ?

Unload one 3-4M contract from our defence, put Sharks retain a bit, and that's totally possible.

Side note: Yzerman really hates Czechs, doesn’t he?

Yeah, something really happened on that Vrana-case.
- Vrana out (for any cost)
- Hronek out
- Zadina terminated himself
- Kubalik out
- Didn't draft any czechs

it gives Lalonde a lot of interesting options.

I know people haven't really responded to the suggestion I've made in the past, but I don't think Compher as RW1 is out of the question. Playing next to Larkin as a all-rounder, scrappy pest to play along side him and a true sniper on the left...

If replacing Bertuzzi role with somebody, I could see Copp there before Compher. But nice idea, can't really say would Compher be fit, before trying it first.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Debrincat will come back again asking for 9 longterm. He might get dealt before midway though for all we know

If that's the case, Stevie will just complete another trade. It's like bread and butter. It's a much negative as trading Bertuzzi. --> to DeBrincat.

Just move on and don't lose the asset value.

Trading DeBrincat after 3,5 seasons --> for other assets. He has very much value then.
Maybe Yzerman didn't want long term. Who knows. Looking at the cap structure going forward I would not be surprised if Yzerman wasn't comfortable offering more term. Either way, happy to have Debrincat.

Think this short-term did take the caphit down to a number Yzerman did want to get. Longer contracts are having now in-built cap growth, and Yzerman does not want to pay that. He has many times said he'll prefer short-term contracts. And I think this is mostly his plan to go. He does what he says.
Wow. I never thought I would see Sebrango used as a trade chip.

Think it could have been:

Dorion: "Like to add d-prospect on the deal."
Yzerman: "Okay, pick any of the non 2023 draftees and outside of Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johansson."
Dorion: "Ok. Think I could take Sebrango, we were interested in him at 2020 draft..."
Yzerman: "Fine with that."

Man, a cup within 4 years is expected at this point.

Yeah, and my proposal as going after Erik Karlsson will fit on his contract and this timeline.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I understand ppl r excited and happy cuz we've sucked for 7 yrs but were not winning squat in the next 4 yrs and well never win a cup with Larkin and debrincat leading the way

Debrincat will come back again asking for 9 longterm. He might get dealt before midway though for all we know
The thing is, even if we aren't playoff contenders during this contract, we'll still likely get everything we gave up for him if we trade him away. When you buy this cheap, there is no downside unless the player declines significantly.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Flexibility to move on is never a bad thing.

Scenario 1, he puts up 30-40 goals a year on a contender/playoff team (easy extension opportunity with team success. Cap hit will likely be similar to 8-9 mil again)
Scenario 2, he puts up 30-40 goals a year and the team still stinks (flip him for a decent package year 3 or 4)
Scenario 3, he falls below expectations and you get out of a bad contract while you continue to rebuild.
Most unlikely... Scenario 4, he stinks and the team becomes a consistent playoff team/contender.

Not a lot of negative to committing only 4 years.

DeBrincat could just be the best Red Wings scorer, but would score less under good defensive system we are implementing in. --> And he won't get a huge raise after 4 years.

So... is SY done?

What else could be up his sleeve?

Erik. Karlsson.

That’s a really great group. Asterisk beside players who will or could be on ELC. If Seider and Ray get under contract for 14-16M combined, plus a decent chunk for the rest, we’re still looking at about 20M in cap space if the cap goes up by 10M by the 26/27 year. A first and second rounder every year before then.

Could see Seider getting 8y x 8M. and Raymond 3y x 4.5M.
Total 12.5M combined.
Correct me if I am wrong, but based on the 1st round pick conditions, there is a theroretical chance the Wings dont pick in the first round next year. A slim one, but one none the less.

2024 is a weak draft again after a strong 2023...

2025 stronger again. Would be lucky to get 2 picks there.
Oh, and I also noticed the Czech experiment is over. All shipped off...no wonder we took Danielson. Im guessing Dvorsky and Sale were nowhere on the list.

Dvorsky is a slovak.... but yeah. There was probably something more going than just Vrana... all Hronek, Vrana, Zadina, Kubalik thrown out in 4 months.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Good contract, i was worried of that more than the trade price. Great trade in value vise.

1st 2024 - weaker draft class, unlikely that there would be better player available

Kubalik - middle-6 winger, trade value at the TDL 3rd+4th?

Sebrango - can't even beat a AHL veteran for the job, we didn't lose anything

4th 2024 - i guess we don't get "Jack Phelan" of the 2024, not a loss either

• Haha
Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nobody is trying to portray that he is 10x better except for you and the people that hate the deal. That you’d rather keep a worse player because he’s cheaper. (I.e. if the 9 million dollar player isn’t doubling the points of the 4.5M player, the 4.5M player is better to have on your roster

It is wholly unreasonable because Alex Debrincat is, without any question, a better, more well-rounded hockey player than Dominik Kubalik.

Yeah it would be very stupid to keep the worse player, if you are not at tank or not against the cap.

If you are against the cap, then you have to do these decisions, how to balance it. Also, if Kubalik would have scored will again, he would have been as UFA after a huge raise. Think this was just smart to move on from him, avoid the raise and already pay with higher salary for a better player.

DeBrincat will also give a Righty handness, a quality one, we are starting to have a nice mix of those currently. At least one righty on each line and one righty center. Almost perfect 6+6 mix. Two righty centers would be perfect.

DeBrincat (R) - Larkin (L) - Perron (R)
Fabbri (L) - Compher (R) - Raymond (R)
Sprong (R) - Copp (L) - Berggren (L)
Kostin (L) - Rasmussen (L) - Fischer (R)
---------
Söderblom (L)
Kasper (L)
Danielson (R)
Czarnik (R)

Think we haven't seen a 50/50 handness split after 97 or 98 seasons. 2002 they had 5 righties and 7 lefties.

Can't really find out what's the condition on that 1st?

I actually liked Kubalik, sad he is gone.

We can decide which 1st Ottawa will get. Could be Bos 2024/2025 1st or Det 1st 2024.

Just have to analyze which will be worst one.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I was a vocal poster, calling for caution on this DeBrincat deal.

I was very Leary of doing a 8-9Mil deal for 7-8 years with a guy who was not on our team, and just came off a 66pt year (his only year without P. Kane).

I must say, I am quite happy with the term and $'s on this deal.

I embrace the trade, and I hope to be proven wrong that Debrincat is only a 60-70 pt guy without Kane. I will now get a chance to get fully on board with this, as my biggest fear was the $ and Term. 4 years is a great term for him to stay hungry and prove his worth here. And By god, I hope he proves to be the greatest trade in a long time for us.

I am also a big fan of Kubalik, and I wish him well in Ottawa. I think he will do really well there and score 55pts.

The board has been down of late.
I like seeing everyone happy here.

Cheers all!
Couldn't have said it better for my side as well. Even with the low assets given up, if he came back at 7-8 years over $8M a year, I don't think I would have liked the deal.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I like Kubalik and think he is a great 3rd line winger on a cup level team and a mid-to-low second line winger on a regular playoff team.

If Kubalik had stayed and equaled or surpassed his production from last season, he would have priced himself out of the organization. A 28 yr old perennial 20+ goal scorer is worth $4.5+

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
If Boston draft top 10 and Red Wings has very successful next season.
If BOS is drafting top 10 next year, they will be a lottery team in 2025. That pick-2025 1st-becomes ours and that’s amazing, possibly 1st poverall in this completely not happening fairytale scenario.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I like Kubalik and think he is a great 3rd line winger on a cup level team and a mid-to-low second line winger on a regular playoff team.

If Kubalik had stayed and equaled or surpassed his production from last season, he would have priced himself out of the organization. A 28 yr old perennial 20+ goal scorer is worth $4.5+
Why would that have priced him out? We've had no issues signing 28yo perennial 30+ point centers for $5M+ deals.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
One more big move? How about Elias Lindholm? RH center for the second line who can score and win face offs, but still be a responsible 2 way player? The cost? Ras, AlJo, and some picks. Then a 6 year $8m contract extension.

DCat/Larkin/Perron
Berggren/Lindholm/Raymond
Copp/Kasper/Compher
Kostin/Veleno/Fischer
Fab, Soder

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
One more big move? How about Elias Lindholm? RH center for the second line who can score and win face offs, but still be a responsible 2 way player? The cost? Ras, AlJo, and some picks. Then a 6 year $8m contract extension.

DCat/Larkin/Perron
Berggren/Lindholm/Raymond
Copp/Kasper/Compher
Kostin/Veleno/Fischer
Fab, Soder
I agree another move is happening this offseason or early in the season. I'm surprised Winnipeg hasn't made any moves because they will do something.

Lindholm would make sense, and I don't think the Wings would be afraid to put Copp or Compher on the Wing. My guess is we get another winger before a center, but that's just a hunch.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
When I was talking to my former partners who still do evaluations and data collection for teams, they were pretty specific that Philly and Calgary were trying to grab a bunch of data on Detroit prospects, specifically dmen prospects, but also joked that by the time the draft started, Winnipeg probably knew more about Detroit’s prospects than Detroit did. That they’ve heard the Jets really like Rasmussen too.

One thing I’ll say is, Scheifele fits into the “type” of player the Wings love. He’s hard to play against, powerful on his skates, he creates space in traffic as well as anyone, and he’s committed to the game. When I mentioned I was surprised the Wings didn’t go after Dubois more, they laughed and said Detroit likes Scheifele much more, and he’s one player they’d trade Rasmussen for. Also told me Hellebuyck probably had more of a chance to go to Detroit because they’ve heard Yzerman just wants to put an end to any questions in net, and didn’t like the way Husso wore down. That they were surprised he wasn’t traded to Detroit at the draft but maybe that’s because another team is more interested but needed to figure out some salary stuff first OR Hellebuyck wanted to see what Detroit did to add to the team before he’d make the decision to sign a contract extension with Detroit.

I’ve speculated on Pesce, but that’s just me. I think he’s perfect for what they want around their kids.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s Scheifele and/or Hellebuyck. With Husso obviously going the other way, or Rasmussen if it’s Scheifele. Obviously there’d be other pieces but they could make the cap work with both now.

This was Petes2424 response to my question on the main board regarding what other moves SY could be up to...

I appreciate his detailed response..

Thoughts?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This was Petes2424 response to my question on the main board regarding what other moves SY could be up to...

I appreciate his detailed response..

Thoughts?
From a player's perspective, I think Scheifele and Hellebuyck would both address huge needs. I think Hellebuyck would be great, especially if he took a reasonable discount (<8m?) to play here. I also think that his contract would be short, so we wouldn't get Bobrovsky'd and we could still get some really good years out of Cossa/Augustine because their combined salary would be <10m for a while.

I don't think we'd likely get Hellebucyk, but we don't know what Yzerman is thinking because he never says much. Either way, it's getting to be a very exciting time in this rebuild.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Why would that have priced him out? We've had no issues signing 28yo perennial 30+ point centers for $5M+ deals.

Because Kubalik is the type of guy you pick up off the scrap heap and hope for production. He’s a one-trick pony and while the trick may be a good one.. you’re going to be in trouble if you fall in love with it.

Kubalik is new age Curtis Glencross. Guy you sign for cheap who pops for 20. But at the end of the day, you realize that’s what the player is

Reactions: Ricelund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad