Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Time to go after Karlsson.

These centers are fine so far, and there will be future push from Kasper and Danielson. Maybe from Lombardi.

Some mojo for the defence still needed.

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
im excited for the season now. hes going to be great on larkins wing, good contract too

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really happy with this move, I like the player and what we were able to get him for.

I am hoping we run him on a line with Larkin all year. Move the other pieces around as you want, but I would love to see Larkin play a full season with a winger like this. Being 2 Michigan kids I am thinking they could probably form a friendship off ice like he had with Bertuzzi.

Honestly the collective moves of Ghost, DeBrincat, Compher, Sprong this off season are good in my book. If we could have just gotten a RD like Mayfield over Holl I would be pretty happy about this off season. But if we choose to run Ghost as the right D on the 2nd pair and Holl as the right D on the 3rd pair I may not mind it too much.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021

These centers are fine so far, and there will be future push from Kasper and Danielson. Maybe from Lombardi.

The only way I would like the Karlsson trade is if they took back Chairot. This would put WK at about 6.75 per instead of 11. If we could then get them to take .25 to .33% the last few years, I'd be alright.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Because Kubalik is the type of guy you pick up off the scrap heap and hope for production. He’s a one-trick pony and while the trick may be a good one.. you’re going to be in trouble if you fall in love with it.
Its absolutely pathetic that Kubalik is even being discussed in this thread lol.

Kubalik is a career 23 goal/82 games player. Debrincat is a career 35 goals/82 games player while being 2 years younger. Cat's season last year, playing with a 35 point, rookie center still blew Kubaliks best season away.

The wings just got one of the best, young goal scorers in the league and stole him away from a division rival and we're talk about a dime a dozen player in Kubalik lol

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Two underrated aspects of this trade:

1. Shows the potential value in drafting a lot of d-men. Sebrango was way down our depth chart but still had enough value to be one of the pieces to land us DeBrincat.

2. Additionally, provides more evidence in the value of signing NHL talent to actually play meaningful hockey instead of using cap space primarily on cap dumps. We got Kubalik for free as a short-term filler player, and he helps us land us a potential long-term part of the core.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Two underrated aspects of this trade:

1. Shows the potential value in drafting a lot of d-men. Sebrango was way down our depth chart but still had enough value to be one of the pieces to land us DeBrincat.

2. Additionally, provides more evidence in the value of signing NHL talent to actually play meaningful hockey instead of using cap space primarily on cap dumps. We got Kubalik for free as a short-term filler player, and he helps us land us a potential long-term part of the core.
Good points. And this move will also help point totals for the defense, particularly Seider (overall minutes) and Gostisbehere (power play).

Reactions: Sentinel

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Its absolutely pathetic that Kubalik is even being discussed in this thread lol.

Kubalik is a career 23 goal/82 games player. Debrincat is a career 35 goals/82 games player while being 2 years younger. Cat's season last year, playing with a 35 point, rookie center still blew Kubaliks best season away.

The wings just got one of the best, young goal scorers in the league and stole him away from a division rival and we're talk about a dime a dozen player in Kubalik lol
Some people like having hills to die on

Alex Thrasher

Jul 8, 2019

i'd much rather go after Pesce than Karlsson. If we can somehow manage to dump Chiarot's contract and replace him with Pesce this offseason would likely be the best one I've witnessed

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Is this team a contender with Debrincat? Absolutely not. In fact, it'll still be an uphill struggle to make the playoffs. I don't think we gave up a ton, but I also don't think Debrincat is as good as some people think. Dude's perfectly capable of being a passenger on a bad team.

Acquisitions like this will be a good test for the theory of 'piecemeal building' that the Wings seem to have chosen. I think it's a flawed idea if the goal is to win Stanley Cups. Could work if the goal is just to have a team with a pulse making playoff appearances here and there.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Is this team a contender with Debrincat? Absolutely not. In fact, it'll still be an uphill struggle to make the playoffs. I don't think we gave up a ton, but I also don't think Debrincat is as good as some people think. Dude's perfectly capable of being a passenger on a bad team.

Acquisitions like this will be a good test for the theory of 'piecemeal building' that the Wings seem to have chosen. I think it's a flawed idea if the goal is to win Stanley Cups. Could work if the goal is just to have a team with a pulse making playoff appearances here and there.

You have to walk to be able to run. I'd rather that the Wings keep getting incrementally better and that we get some playoff hockey for guys like Seider and Raymond and Edvinsson and others.

No, Debrincat isn't a superstar. He's not a top 15 player in the league. He's a damn good goal scorer on a team that needed damn good goal scorers.

Alex Thrasher

Jul 8, 2019

Stanley cup contender next year? Absolutely not. Playoff Contender with a wild-card expectation? Absolutely. This is a move that not only makes the team competitive now but really sets us up well 3-5 years from now and hopefully to stay competitive for the next 10 years or so. This year's lineup:

Debrincat - Larkin - Perron
Rasmussen/Fabbri - Compher/Copp - Raymond
Berggren - Compher/Copp - Sprong
Kostin - Veleno/Rasmussen - Fischer/Fabbri

Walman - Seider
Maata - Chiarot
Ghost - Holl

Husso
Reimer/Lyon

Extras - Fabbri/Veleno/Fischer, Lindstrom

This doesn't even include Kasper/Edvinsson/AJo and I expect they will all get playing time as well. If this squad can get into the playoffs the next few years, that experience could pay huge dividends down the line when guys like Kasper, Danielsson, Ed, Wallinder, ASP, Mazur, Cossa, ext... have become NHL regulars. (No guarantee they are NHL regulars of course but I like their chances). This doesn't even include the fact that we still have room to add another big player this year or next offseason. This was a masterclass offseason and I truly believe this offseason is the start of something special.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
This isn't a playoff team, its a bubble team that will need a lot of luck to make it to being first round fodder this season. The east still has a lot of good teams, with the Lightning, Leafs and Panthers likely locking up the top 3 spots in the Atlantic. That leaves Detroit fighting it out with the Bruins, Sabres, Devils, Sens, Pens, and potentially the Caps and Flyers for the two wildcard spots.
I don’t think Florida is a lock, while they had an amazing playoff run, they are very injured and these injuries are going to bleed over into a significant portion of the season. Also don’t forget, they barely made the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
i'd much rather go after Pesce than Karlsson. If we can somehow manage to dump Chiarot's contract and replace him with Pesce this offseason would likely be the best one I've witnessed

Think those will go at same deal, and only Sharks can take a crap contract, which would help on their TANK.

That's why I see Karlsson more probable trade than Pesce.

There's no reason for Carolina to take a poor contract. Maybe Määttä goes instead, who knows.

Reactions: Alex Thrasher

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Your sure about that? He did pretty good aside of star talent in Ottawa. 66 pts and played with a rookie center all year. Not saying he is a star, but 66 pts on a new team with out significant 5 on 5 time with the top center is pretty darn good.
Agreed. As I said in a different thread, his 66 points last season from a "down" year on the Sens would've still put him behind only Larkin in points.

We'll wait and see how he does, who he plays with, how he's implemented. But Yzerman got a good deal and the team got better.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
So we are gonna go after Erik Karlsson next ?

Unload one 3-4M contract from our defence, put Sharks retain a bit, and that's totally possible.
You want Yzerman to make a trade that's as awful as the DeBrincat trade is good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad