Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
He is 20 goals scorer? It is not a rocket science. Kubalik just like Glencross are good NHLers. Not everyone in this league is a star.
And also, I’m saying 100% the same thing. Kubalik was in the scrap heap after Chicago non-tendered him. Detroit picked him up and he played really well for the year he was here.

And that’s what you need to do with players like him. Find the one or two who need a change of scenery to pot some points at a cheap rate.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
When you post stuff like this once, it's freedom of speech. When you post it several times across multiple threads, it's effectively stirring the pot.

Maybe enjoy the summer and circle back when it's closer to the start of the season. Because while there's nothing wrong with dissenting, you seem to be doing so in a way that will lead to nobody wanting to dialogue with you.
When posters @ me, I'm the pot stirrer?

Just block me. Thanks.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Me too. I just have doubts. Though I'm intrigued at your enthusiasm at a tiny, not A+ skater, that's suspect defensively, but everyone needs a first, right?
I’m sorry that Alex Debrincat isn’t our lord and savior Jonatan Berggren… who we didn’t trade by the way.

Dominik Kubalik was literally a reclamation project a year ago. Chicago didn’t want to pay him 2.5M. He was literally the same type of signing as Pius Suter. He just worked out and Suter didn’t

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
When posters @ me, I'm the pot stirrer?

Just block me. Thanks.

Yes. That’s precisely how it works.

You’re saying stuff that is directly counter to the general view of a trade. Cool. We can discuss. But then you cover it in a veneer of snark like people think Debrincat shits out rainbow sherbet.

Alex Debrincat is arguably the most talented player on the Detroit Red Wings now. We basically traded a late first, a guy who was never gonna make it in Sebrango, and a 4th to transmute Kubalik into Debrincat.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Me too. I just have doubts. Though I'm intrigued at your enthusiasm at a tiny, not A+ skater, that's suspect defensively, but everyone needs a first, right?
My enthusiasm is over A) excellent asset management by Yzerman (and really, Debrincat himself, as he handcuffed Ottawa to our benefit), and B) a true goal-scorer that fills a glaring hole.

Debrincat in a vacuum.... I can take him or leave him. He's the type of player I'm fine with as long as he is dynamic offensively. With a balanced roster, his deficiencies can be mitigated while still giving him a big role and him still being a big net positive. Guys of that type who aren't dynamic offensively have to be selectively deployed based on matchups in order to bring value. Which results in some posters always wondering why they don't get more TOI :naughty:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
My enthusiasm is over A) excellent asset management by Yzerman (and really, Debrincat himself, as he handcuffed Ottawa to our benefit), and B) a true goal-scorer that fills a glaring hole.

Debrincat in a vacuum.... I can take him or leave him. He's the type of player I'm fine with as long as he is dynamic offensively. With a balanced roster, his deficiencies can be mitigated while still giving him a big role and him still being a big net positive. Guys of that type who aren't dynamic offensively have to be selectively deployed based on matchups in order to bring value. Which results in some posters always wondering why they don't get more TOI :naughty:
Indeed.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
And also, I’m saying 100% the same thing. Kubalik was in the scrap heap after Chicago non-tendered him. Detroit picked him up and he played really well for 18 games.

And that’s what you need to do with players like him. Find the one or two who need a change of scenery to pot some points at a cheap rate.
Fixed that for you.

Last edited:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
The news about DeBrincat loosely reminds me that I need to purchase some classes at The Hawk for some family members. (Formerly Harrison High School, which is where he went).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I liked Yzerman's comparisosns for Brincat: Loob and Mats Naslund - this organisation translates everything to swedish :D. I really liked Hakan Loob though, shame he didn't want to stay in NA
That is interesting. Depends really how you feel about DCat. If you are a big fan, I think you are disappointed by the term of 4 years. If you have questions about him with his production drop leaving Kane, you are fine with the 4 years.

He's 25, so age wise, going max term to age 32 or 33 seems more logical if you believe in him. Otherwise, when he's 29, are you really interested in doing a long term deal with him when all of the high Yzerman draft picks to date are off ELC? Probably not.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What I don't understand, how you can be the biggest Jiri Hudler fan and in the same time have such a dislike for DeBrincat. Just because DeBrincat can skate much better than Hudler?
How was Hudler utilized on the Wings? What in the past 25+ years through multiple coaching regimes would lead you to believe a player of that prototype would be utilized effectively in Detroit? Maybe it's different with a guy that got his opportunity elsewhere first, but historically the Wings don't give pure-offense guys free rein. It's not a dislike for DeBrincat, really. It's a hesitancy in belief that what you see elsewhere will hold true here. Which then makes trading for that player kinda expensive for marginal gains. I wouldn't be banging the drum to bring in Hudler either.

Maybe it'll be different with Lalonde this year, but the deployment of Kubalik, Vrana, Zadina, Berggren, etc... raise doubts that DeBrincat will have ironclad top line top PP deployment. He made some noises at the end of the season that sounded vaguely like our offensive issues might have had something to do with deployment/strategy, but we'll see how that pans out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
How was Hudler utilized on the Wings? What in the past 25+ years through multiple coaching regimes would lead you to believe a player of that prototype would be utilized effectively in Detroit? Maybe it's different with a guy that got his opportunity elsewhere first, but historically the Wings don't give pure-offense guys free rein. It's not a dislike for DeBrincat, really. It's a hesitancy in belief that what you see elsewhere will hold true here. Which then makes trading for that player kinda expensive for marginal gains. I wouldn't be banging the drum to bring in Hudler either.

Maybe it'll be different with Lalonde this year, but the deployment of Kubalik, Vrana, Zadina, Berggren, etc... raise doubts that DeBrincat will have ironclad top line top PP deployment. He made some noises at the end of the season that sounded vaguely like our offensive issues might have had something to do with deployment/strategy, but we'll see how that pans out.
Using a $10 screwdriver as a hammer will have lousy results. It's true to suggest the same thing for a $100 screwdriver, but the (good) reason that it's a $100 screwdriver and not a $10 one is the same reason your won't see it used as a hammer.

Yeah, Debrincat with lousy deployment would yield reduced results. But he's clearly a first line player making nearly $8M a year, so it would take Armageddon for Detroit to deploy him like that.

EDIT: And with the rumored trade being in the media for that long, it's not like Lalonde had zero chance to voice any possible concerns over the player. Yet they still acquired him, which makes it likely that Yzerman and Lalonde are on the same page for deployment.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All this trading for Karlsson talk is really killing my buzz from the DeBrincat trade.

Don't worry so much, he's not from Michigan. Krug is, but that contract is a abomination.

Out of that list, I'd consider taking Martinez as a cap dump if assets are attached, other than that I don't see a viable trade.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kane on a one year contract, I doubt anyone signs him for anything besides that considering he had hip surgery. He's not eligible for bonuses since he didn't turn 35 before start of free agency. Apparently it's not when he signs, but a set date, June 30th (his birthday is in Nov)

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
So the concern is that Lalonde might not properly deploy the guy that (a) Yzerman just paid a 1st for and made the most expensive player on the team outside of Larkin, and (b) has a more productive goal-scoring record than any winger on the team?

Ok. I guess that’s not a metaphysical impossibility. Don’t think I’m gonna lose sleep over it though.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
So the concern is that Lalonde might not properly deploy the guy that (a) Yzerman just paid a 1st for and made the most expensive player on the team outside of Larkin, and (b) has a more productive goal-scoring record than any winger on the team?

Ok. I guess that’s not a metaphysical impossibility. Don’t think I’m gonna lose sleep over it though.
That sounds like a surefire way for Lalonde to find himself out of a job eventually.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Probably because of Vrana.

You gotta wonder what was going on with the Czechs in the locker room though, haven't seen a GM dump 4 players like that since the Capitals limo incident. That's how DIno wound up in Detroit.

Anyways, Shitty Kitty is not Vrana, I'm not worried. Although he probably won't hit 1 PPG in this system.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Lazy f who can't play defense for 8 mil anf never reached point per game is season? Hell f no! Yzerman is out of his goddamn mind...

Yeah I know. He definitely isn't as good as Laine at defence, but we will take what we can get.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I love it when Stevie pulls off trades like this. Soon he will be getting draft picks in exchange for autographed 8×10s with the ink smudged on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad