Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Why wouldn't we want more than 4 years? Seems short
Flexibility to move on is never a bad thing.

Scenario 1, he puts up 30-40 goals a year on a contender/playoff team (easy extension opportunity with team success. Cap hit will likely be similar to 8-9 mil again)
Scenario 2, he puts up 30-40 goals a year and the team still stinks (flip him for a decent package year 3 or 4)
Scenario 3, he falls below expectations and you get out of a bad contract while you continue to rebuild.
Most unlikely... Scenario 4, he stinks and the team becomes a consistent playoff team/contender.

Not a lot of negative to committing only 4 years.

acetehubernoob

Jun 28, 2011
I can't be too hard on Ottawa. I think DeBrincat did us a solid here.
No I fully understand that DeBrincat handcuffed Ottawa but my expectation was Berggren and Bos 1st. So this is crazy and I love the contract. Steve knows this is where he wants to play so chances are when that contract is up resigning him shouldn't be too difficult.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Flexibility to move on is never a bad thing.

Scenario 1, he puts up 30-40 goals a year on a contender/playoff team (easy extension opportunity with team success. Cap hit will likely be similar to 8-9 mil again)
Scenario 2, he puts up 30-40 goals a year and the team still stinks (flip him for a decent package year 3 or 4)
Scenario 3, he falls below expectations and you get out of a bad contract while you continue to rebuild.
Most unlikely... Scenario 4, he stinks and the team becomes a consistent playoff team/contender.

Not a lot of negative to committing only 4 years.
Especially for a guy who evidently wants to play for the Wings.

Reactions: Kronwalled55

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

"We haven't talked to him"

giphy.gif

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Look at this mess we started with...

2019-2020 Roster
(lineup by ice time/games played, dudes were moving all over the lineup that year it was a mess)

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Fabbri - Filppula - AA
Helm - Glendenning - Zadina
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Erne

Perlini/Hirose/G. Smith/de la Rose/Gagner

Nemeth - Hronek
Cholowski - Green
Daley - Bowey

DeKeyser/Biega/Ericsson/Lindstrom/McIlrath/Lashoff

Bernier
Howard

Like do a side by side with the current team and ages and holy shit.
Looked it up earlier. 34 of the 38 players rostered that season are no longer affiliated with the organization today.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
There's cap space, both this year and next...

I'm not going to be refreshing like I was for this news, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more being discussed.
Hmmm

I'd assume a forward...

I wanted Pesce but after adding holl and ghost I dont see any room so I'd think EK65 would be out

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I have a sneaky suspicion he Kane will be wearing the red and white. Would be kind of hilarious

I'm not a Kane fan, so this pains me to say, but I think Detroit is one of the better fits for him assuming he wants market value.

Detroit can pay him fair value.
Detroit has one of his best buds now.
Detroit isn't desperate for him to play at the start of the season as he recovers from his surgery rehab.
Detroit can easily move him at the deadline to a contender of his choice with salary retention.

If you're a contender, you can't sign Kane to more than $5 million, clog up your cap, and potentially fall down the standings waiting for him to return.

So...I'm not counting on it, but Detroit is one of those teams uniquely poised to take advantage of a short-term deal on a veteran like Kane.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
HOLY SHIT IT HAPPENED!!!!

the page opened to the old Debrincat thread and then I was like, wait, why is this locked??

Reactions: Ricelund

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I was a vocal poster, calling for caution on this DeBrincat deal.

I was very Leary of doing a 8-9Mil deal for 7-8 years with a guy who was not on our team, and just came off a 66pt year (his only year without P. Kane).

I must say, I am quite happy with the term and $'s on this deal.

I embrace the trade, and I hope to be proven wrong that Debrincat is only a 60-70 pt guy without Kane. I will now get a chance to get fully on board with this, as my biggest fear was the $ and Term. 4 years is a great term for him to stay hungry and prove his worth here. And By god, I hope he proves to be the greatest trade in a long time for us.

I am also a big fan of Kubalik, and I wish him well in Ottawa. I think he will do really well there and score 55pts.

The board has been down of late.
I like seeing everyone happy here.

Cheers all!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad