Player Discussion David Pastrnak

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1677843468225.png

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I just get the feeling Pasta was contemplating moving on because there was some specific city that he was intruiged by. He talked about needing to take more people into consideration this time. But I believe he does love Boston and is happy to be here, and he'll be here for 8 years so that is all I care about.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

“I didn’t really worry about it much. Especially when I got to the rink, it was off my mind,” said Pastrnak, who turns 27 in May and will be 35 when the deal expires in 2031. “Obviously at home, sometimes you think about it. It’s a little different. We are older. You’re not making that decision alone.”

Pastrnak, who arrived here as an 18-year-old from Havirov, Czechia, said he and his Swedish fiancée, Rebecca Rohlsson, have made Boston their “home away from home.” He also noted that he grew closer with Sweeney during the negotiations. The two came together in September 2017 on Pastrnak’s current deal, a six-year, $40 million contract worth $6.667 million per season.

Until this deal happened, Sweeney said, he was anxious. But he wasn’t stressed out.

“He indicated all along this is what he would like to do,” Sweeney said. “He was patient.”

Officially, Pastrnak is now the centerpiece of the next core of this franchise. The team eventually will belong to him and Charlie McAvoy, plus Hampus Lindholm, Pavel Zacha, Linus Ullmark, and whoever else is in for the long haul. The Bruins eventually will see the retirements of Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, and Brad Marchand, but Pastrnak believes the transition will be seamless.

“I’m very confident of moving forward,” Pastrnak said. “We’ve been learning from them every day, and we are to this day. We know [their retirement] unfortunately might come. We will make sure we are ready with Charlie and the younger core. We had a hell of a [group of] guys to show us the way.”

Long before he put pen to paper, Pastrnak had an appreciation for how Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand have never played for another franchise.

“It’s an amazing accomplishment to play your career with one team,” Pastrnak said, “and that’s definitely what was stuck in my head going into this negotiation.”

According to CapFriendly, the Bruins have a projected $72.9 million in salary commitments for next season, not including $4.7325 million in performance bonuses that can be split between this year and next.

Other than free-agents-to-be Connor Clifton and Dmitry Orlov, the Bruins have their defense locked up for next season. Ullmark is signed through 2025. Jeremy Swayman will be a restricted free agent.

The forward group will be in flux, with only Pastrnak, Marchand, Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Jake DeBrusk, and A.J. Greer under contract.

With Pastrnak as the headliner, the Bruins don’t see a decline in their future.

“You never know, but that’s certainly the plan with our back end and goaltending,” team president Cam Neely said. “We’ll have some work to do up front in the next couple of years, we recognize that. But we still should be very competitive.”

unkempt

Oct 19, 2006
I am so happy. I hoped for 10 and no more than 11, so I am disappointed, because it does reduce the competitiveness of the team as a whole. The cap growth should soon take care of that though.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
A couple day after thoughts:

I think it's a fair market deal based on what other players have gotten on the market. I think they probably could have gotten the cap hit into the 10s if they had maxed out the signing bonuses like the Tkachuk and Barkov deals, but they don't seem interested in signing deals with more than 50% signing bonus. In terms of hockey operations, that's probably the most noticeable influence of the Jacobs' family, since I'm sure that's the kind of cash flow situation they hate.

I know the opinions of the deal are overwhelmingly positive, but for those of you who are concerned about paying a winger this much money, the highest paid player on the last 5 Stanley Cup champions has been a winger.

Reactions: vjcsmoke

SonnyBoy

Jan 25, 2022
He could be Captain after Bergeron retires. I think it’s him or McAvoy. They are the future of this team and both are locked up.
Definitely Marchand. Then McAvoy or Carlo.
But 11.25 is too much if M.Tkachuk is 9.5 and MT is better player.
Is here anyone who takes Pasta over him?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
About 90% of people who follow hockey and especially who are in the NHL or are in management would take Pasta over Tkachuk. Probably more, as evidenced by recent surveys done by ESPN, The Athletic and others.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Marchand would be first in line as he is such a leader in the team.

Then either Mac or Pasta. Both are developing their leadership qualities. I don't see Carlo as a leader ( I like him as a d man)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I just get the feeling Pasta was contemplating moving on because there was some specific city that he was intruiged by. He talked about needing to take more people into consideration this time. But I believe he does love Boston and is happy to be here, and he'll be here for 8 years so that is all I care about.
I never got this feeling and I know it’s a business. Can’t see how you came to this.

Reactions: Ladyfan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Holly cow that means the best Tkachuk is Vastly underpaid, but its going to keep rising year to year. Imagine what Mathews and McDavid next contracts will be.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

I would take the guy who is over a point per game in the playoffs over the guy who is about half a point per game in the playoffs yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad