Rumor: Dave Pagnotta of the 4th Period- Canucks getting plenty of calls/offers on JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
bo horvat, 5.5 mill through 22-23. more than a one year rental.
jt miller, 5.250 mill through 22-23, also more than 1 year rental.

horvat has 20 points in 36 games with a 56% faceoff rate. seems like he is still good.
jt miller is a ppg player with 53% faceoffs.

Eichels neck injury is the only reason Rossi was not offered. a healthy eichel and the wild would not have even blinked at offering rossi and boldy. Boeser was brought up accidently i assume??

please inform me what i am missing here outside of worrying about contracts in 23-24? i know about the dead cap, i know we have to trade players to make cap work. doesnt matter when you can solidify center depth and either create a very good top 9 or let jt miller play wing.

When I said 1 year, I respectfully mean both are expiring @ next season's end. So technically, it's 1 year, 1.5 year. I mean the thing about Jt, he has been playing 3c for a long while otherwise he's been mostly on LW. So my question for you, who are you moving out? Wild already has to move fiala and greenway and one more piece to fit just Jt and Horvat. So wild would have to move Zuccarello also just to have room in top Winger group. Yes, there should be worry about money considering we have 16 mil this offseason just to try , and put a team together, nonetheless money needs to be left for injury call-ups. We just need to be patient, Rossi in his two games proved he can take physical hits, and draw penalties. I truly don't believe Minnesota is in that position and having to move pieces to fit other's in

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
When I said 1 year, I respectfully mean both are expiring @ next season's end. So technically, it's 1 year, 1.5 year. I mean the thing about Jt, he has been playing 3c for a long while otherwise he's been mostly on LW. So my question for you, who are you moving out? Wild already has to move fiala and greenway and one more piece to fit just Jt and Horvat. So wild would have to move Zuccarello also just to have room in top Winger group. Yes, there should be worry about money considering we have 16 mil this offseason just to try , and put a team together, nonetheless money needs to be left for injury call-ups. We just need to be patient, Rossi in his two games proved he can take physical hits, and draw penalties. I truly don't believe Minnesota is in that position and having to move pieces to fit other's in
i will happily drive zucc to the airport to upgrade our center depth. fiala, zucc, greenway, dumba can be traded. rask and goligoski dont resign. use ELCs to fill the remaining spots. you may not like it right now but it would work just fine. i do not know his usage this year or last for that matter but some of his most common linemates are petterson and boeser. hardly screams 3rd line but what do i know.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
A wild fan offered greenway + Addison + pick

Would likely take a bit more than that… but in no world will we be getting Rossi & lambos. A pick would have to be a 1st, at very least too.
indeed i saw that offer, that is where the commentor said no it would be rossi + lambos and i sarcastically replied with miller and horvat. greenway + addison and a 1st is not unreasonable.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I understand wanting value but how many times do you see Rathbone plus something else for Braden and Kravstov. I constantly see JT Miller to Rangers deals despite it making no sense for Rangers with flat cap and are not all in this year or next. Rangers are targeting a bottom 6 forward so doubt either team is a match with each other. That is something you and I can agree on

The only deals I have seen for Braden and Kravstov have included Boeser, if there have been any with Rathbone as the centrepiece than yes that is ridiculous from our end, I also couldn't agree more, we don't make good trading partners.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Are they looking to move him, though? Unless it’s for help on the backend, I hold onto him for the stretch run.

What stretch run? Lmao. If the Canucks don't win out the rest of this road trip, their playoff prospects are pretty much done and dusted.

The Canucks still need to significantly retool. JT Miller is a piece that would return substantial assets in a trade, and can be retained to make his cap hit palatable to a contender. He's gonna be a UFA in 1.5 years and the Canucks will have to pay an enormous amount to re-sign him, assuming he even wants to stay.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Doubt the Rangers trade Nils for JT as they are not looking to add chemistry killer in their locker room. Rangers sold him cheap for that reason as did Stevie Y despite him requesting JT into the deal.

I don’t see Canucks/Rangers as good trade partners although Rangers have 2 players Canucks fans would like in Nils and Braden. Canucks have one player the Rangers would have interest in but Nucks are not shopping him.Rangers are not interested in 2 year rentals due to flat cap and are not in Cup contention stage yet
Sold cheap? Tbay got a 1st when they were up against the wall. Wouldn’t say that was cheap….

Fit or not, do you have any evidence that he’s a chemistry killer? I would suggest he’s a heart and soul player that every team would be lucky to have.

Reactions: Grantham

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What stretch run? Lmao. If the Canucks don't win out the rest of this road trip, their playoff prospects are pretty much done and dusted.

The Canucks still need to significantly retool. JT Miller is a piece that would return substantial assets in a trade, and can be retained to make his cap hit palatable to a contender. He's gonna be a UFA in 1.5 years and the Canucks will have to pay an enormous amount to re-sign him, assuming he even wants to stay.
The contract is the biggest consideration. He will be 30 at the start of that deal. Like most of the other long term deals to player around his age range you only benefit from that type of deal if you are going to make noise in the playoffs over the first half of that contract. Otherwise depending on how that players ages it could become somewhat of an anchor deal.

don’t see the Canucks in that status.

So they should be taking calls and pressing for the maximum that they can get.

if JR feels that the return makes sense he should pull the trigger.

Reactions: bossram

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Canes, Panthers, Bolts, Pens, Bruins and Rangers would prob be the teams I would call out East as they all have the ability to make a decent run this year in the playoffs

I wonder if the canes would part with Necas + for Miller at 40% retained.

LeBrun suggested that the Canes didn’t make Necas available for Eichel. Adding to him for a winger that either will walk shortly or require a long-term contract starting in his age 30 season is a dubious proposition.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hasn't Miller been the Canucks' best player since they got him? He's a big body who plays a heavy game. He brings mean and high compete. He's a leader. He plays all three forward spots. He puts up a PPG. He's in his prime and on a great contract for another full year.
Why in the heck would Vancouver trade him?

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Oookk… top 20 in league only making a shade over $5M. Can play centre/wing… pp/pk. Is basically a high end Swiss Army knife.

Most teams who would want him would be trading a late 1st too.

Guess we will see how this plays out.

Okay, good luck getting any teams to pay that for 1.5 years of JT like he's eichel. You aren't getting more than 1st round pick and top prospect. No team will give you a good young roster player in addition

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Two games doesn't "prove" much of anything

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Okay, good luck getting any teams to pay that for 1.5 years of JT like he's eichel. You aren't getting more than 1st round pick and top prospect. No team will give you a good young roster player in addition
Zucker (for god sake) got 1st, Addison and galchenyuk…. JT should get something similar (if not a little better). Not that galchenyuk amounted to much but he was like 25 at the time. So sure maybe we won’t get a 23 yr old but a roster player around 25 isn’t an unreasonable ask. I am sure some team will pay this, if wild won’t.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Hasn't Miller been the Canucks' best player since they got him? He's a big body who plays a heavy game. He brings mean and high compete. He's a leader. He plays all three forward spots. He puts up a PPG. He's in his prime and on a great contract for another full year.

Vancouver needs to fix a lot of issues long term. Miller's age doesn't really fit into that and he's one of the only valuable trade chips we have. Do we need him for this season and next? Not really. We're not a JT Miller away from winning the cup. Will we be a significantly worse team without him? Yeah, probably. But if we can get a nice haul for him it's absolutely worth doing, considering the current state of the franchise.

The irony of my username is also not lost on me btw.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It depends solely on 2 things:
1) his next contract ask (term and cap hit)
2) what the expectations of the club are in terms of contending with JR in charge as his outlook of the roster is going to be different than Benning’s

if both things don’t align they could and should consider moving him.

remember, per the article it is other teams calling the Canucks not the Canucks shopping him to other clubs.

it’s the duty of the GM to answer and take these calls to see what the market is currently preparing to pay. He will undoubtedly counter and ask for more which he should.

EDIT:
The best part of the return can’t be draft picks. Canucks aren’t in a position to wait that long on the return to play in the NHL. Need either a close prospect or young player in return as the key part of the deal.

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The issue with your offer is that it’s not very enticing for the Canucks in terms of actual assets. A likely late 1st and more winger prospects isn’t exactly enticing. A young, RH’ed shot d-man and a young center that can slot into a 3rd line center role right now would be much more appealing.
So draft a RD with one of the two firsts I offered, or with your own. Top end RHD don’t get moved in trades, you draft them usually in the top 5-10. the deal is more than the suggested trade value would be by Pagnotta, only because it’s a Leaf offer does everyone shit on it.
the first is always going to be a late one regardless of the team offering it. my offer is more than the Eichel deal.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Zucker (for god sake) got 1st, Addison and galchenyuk…. JT should get something similar (if not a little better). Not that galchenyuk amounted to much but he was like 25 at the time. So sure maybe we won’t get a 23 yr old but a roster player around 25 isn’t an unreasonable ask. I am sure some team will pay this, if wild won’t.

That is basically because Guerin straight up played Rutherford. Gal was a cap dump. Zucker when traded had 3 years, or 4, so it's not the same thing

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
That is basically because Guerin straight up played Rutherford. Gal was a cap dump. Zucker when traded had 3 years, or 4, so it's not the same thing
You think you got ripped off?

you got Addison and lambos (was the 1st round pick)… galchenyuk was basically nothing.

anyways not going to keep arguing. We clearly disagree on this. Time will tell. Canucks may just keep Miller as he’s been very valuable.

Wild could still use that top line centre, is all. Which will cost something. But maybe just wait for Rossi to hopefully fill that void.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

It can vary wildly based on the value of the pieces involved.

1st+Prospect+Player for the Rangers could mean a lot of things, for example.

1st (22-32 range) + Lauri Pajuniemi (prospect)+ Julian Gauthier or Kevin Rooney (roster players).

That's much different than 1st + Kravtsov + Filip Chytil

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It can vary wildly based on the value of the pieces involved.

1st+Prospect+Player for the Rangers could mean a lot of things, for example.

1st (22-32 range) + Lauri Pajuniemi (prospect)+ Julian Gauthier or Kevin Rooney (roster players).

That's much different than 1st + Kravtsov + Filip Chytil
Totally agree! Those 3 pieces can be such different things for many offering teams. Being transparent, as a Canucks fan I wasn’t asking for Rossi/boldy (although sure that would be great but not realistic).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad