Proposal: Darnell Nurse for Jacob Trouba straight up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
Nurse, like most Oilers have no respect or value around the league at this point. Sure, Trouba is more proven at this point, but he's taken a step or 2 back since his rookie season. He's a young D, just like Nurse. Most D's don't progress in a straight line. I like Trouba, I like Nurse, neither has hit their potential, but when you add in their contract situations, their values are not that far off. Nurse does not have to be protected in the expansion draft and is under his entry level deal right now, he's still a top 10 pick, 21 years old, 6'4 and has loads of potential. Trouba is looking for a deal in the 6 million dollar range, also a top pick, 22 years old, and has loads of potential. Not saying anything bad about Trouba at all, but I do not understand the hate and lack of respect for Nurse on these boards.

I get that Edmonton and the majority of it's players haven't had much success over the past decade. But, the lack of respect that these players get on here is a joke. Edmonton has plenty of talent, they were just a poorly built, unbalanced team. Nurse was not the reason for this, he was also playing well over his head last a year. A year he was supposed to play in the AHL, but due to injuries, was forced to play over his head in the NHL. Trouba has gotten to play his whole career being Big Buff. Point is, he was properly slotted on the Jets, that helps lead to success.

With the value the Oilers got for Hall, was that a sign that GMs around the league feel the same way about Edmonton's players? or was that the price of acquiring a young RHD on a good contract with pedigree and top pairing potential? Or maybe a little of both?

I like what Chia has done so far, if the value of the Oiler's players are that devalued around the league, maybe, it's time to stand pat, maybe sign or trade for a stop gap PP dman, like Wiz or Wideman or Franson or Murphy. and then start the year out with what they have and see if the changes and a 2nd year with a new coaching staff can lead to some success.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I don't totally buy the Trouba hype at this point, but I think Trouba's worth a fair bit more than Nurse IMO. Nurse wasn't overly impressive. Still young with room to grow but I just don't see them on the same level right now.

Oilers add a good amount. Nurse is a bottom pairing D. Trouba is alot better and RH aswell. Nurse is nothing special at all so far, extremely average. Still young, but he is very average...

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
The deal favors the Jets but as an oilers fan I wouldn't do it. The oilers can only add one more expensive defenceman to their roster and then it's pretty much set. i don't think trouba fits the role and also feel he's gonna get more money than he deserves. I wouldn't pay him more than 4.5 , but he's probably looking for closer to 6.

Nurse has a lot of raw skill. Yes he had a bad year but the situation he was put in could have only resulted in failure. He did show glimpses of being a great player. The fact he's cheap and doesn't need to be protected helps as well.

This 'oilers desperately needing a puck moving defenceman' has gotten over blown. Klefbom, Larsson, Davidson and even Oesterle are good at that exit pass out of the zone. Our power play will be fine as well. Oilers will sign a stop gap (gryba type) role player to give some RHD depth and call it a summer. Next summer will be when we add that last dman, if Nurse doesn't show big signs of improvement.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Nurse is one year younger than Trouba and his best year is significantly worse than Trouba's worst season. Cmon man

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Oilers need someone who can run the power play, there's no point bringing in trouba who'd fill a similar role that Larsson does
Huh? what PP has Larsson ever run? Trouba had more offensive instincts inside his moms womb that Larsson could ever hope for.

As for the trade, Edmonton would need to add a huge + with Nurse to land Trouba, but he is what the Oilers need.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I just don't think Nurse is very good. Maybe he's a top 4 guy....but he could end up a top 6 guy too...

There are parts of his game that need work and I feel that if he hasn't excelled at any part of his NHL career thus far....I'm not sure that its at all possible to even mention him in the same trade as trouba....

Trouba has shown that he can be a top line D-man....

Nurse hasn't really shown much at 1 year less experience... I hope he has a breakout season this year for the oilers but with the amount of desperation the oilers have had on D, it makes me wonder if they didn't call him up earlier because he's just not that good...

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I just don't think Nurse is very good. Maybe he's a top 4 guy....but he could end up a top 6 guy too...

There are parts of his game that need work and I feel that if he hasn't excelled at any part of his NHL career thus far....I'm not sure that its at all possible to even mention him in the same trade as trouba....

Trouba has shown that he can be a top line D-man....

Nurse hasn't really shown much at 1 year less experience... I hope he has a breakout season this year for the oilers but with the amount of desperation the oilers have had on D, it makes me wonder if they didn't call him up earlier because he's just not that good...

They didn't call him up earlier because they were trying to actually take time with a prospect for once and even then they rushed him he should of been in the ahl last year. But the oilers have enough decent left side dmen there was no reason to rush nurse other than injuries

varano

Jun 27, 2013
They didn't call him up earlier because they were trying to actually take time with a prospect for once and even then they rushed him he should of been in the ahl last year. But the oilers have enough decent left side dmen there was no reason to rush nurse other than injuries

I am aware of what they did....But my point is that Trouba didn't need that. He's a bonafide top line player that made a difference immediately.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Trouba has shown higher potential and has proven to be the better defensemen overall at the NHL level. Both were fairly highly touted coming into the NHL but Nurse needs to prove he can take his game up a notch before his value begins to approach Trouba's.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Nurse alone wont get you Trouba and are you willing to give Trouba 7x7 because that's the only way Trouba will be staying in Edmonton. I just don't see Trouba wanting to play long term in Edmonton.

Being from Michigan it's not like Trouba isn't used to snow and Edmonton is a much more promising team than they used to be. His age is in line with the core which makes it easy to understand why he'd consider staying there.

That being said, no one would let Trouba go for Nurse straight up so it's irrelevant.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Being from Michigan it's not like Trouba isn't used to snow and Edmonton is a much more promising team than they used to be. His age is in line with the core which makes it easy to understand why he'd consider staying there.

That being said, no one would let Trouba go for Nurse straight up so it's irrelevant.

Yeah Trouba in Edmonton would be a solid fit, If Chia doesn't mind giving him the big money to play there 7x7 is the rumored amount pretty sure he would play just about any where for the right amount of money.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
If the Jets can't pay Trouba what his agent demands then a trade is possible. Otherwise I don't see the point.

Straight up for Nurse won't work. Oilers need to add:

Something like Nurse, Paigin, 2nd Round pick at minimum

You've got to give to get.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nurse may turn into something someday but right now he's a horrible NHLer. You can't give up a player just one year older with three seasons of AT WORST top-4 play for Nurse. Edmonton would take this and run so far.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I'm not a fan of either team, but it seems like an easy no for the Jets.

I'd take Trouba all day every day over Nurse.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Your GM would.

According to Dregor he wouldn't.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-down-trade-of-jacob-trouba-for-darnell-nurse

Asked who is out there on defence, Dreger mentioned Kevin Shattenkirk of the St. Louis Blues. The Boston Bruins would love Shattenkirk and have offered a premium draft pick. “The Oilers would like Shattenkirk. Trouba’s name has been out there but to acquire Trouba you’re talking about a Darnell Nurse, as an example, if you’re the Oilers and the Oilers don’t want to do that.â€

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The deal favors the Jets but as an oilers fan I wouldn't do it. The oilers can only add one more expensive defenceman to their roster and then it's pretty much set. i don't think trouba fits the role and also feel he's gonna get more money than he deserves. I wouldn't pay him more than 4.5 , but he's probably looking for closer to 6.

Nurse has a lot of raw skill. Yes he had a bad year but the situation he was put in could have only resulted in failure. He did show glimpses of being a great player. The fact he's cheap and doesn't need to be protected helps as well.

This 'oilers desperately needing a puck moving defenceman' has gotten over blown. Klefbom, Larsson, Davidson and even Oesterle are good at that exit pass out of the zone. Our power play will be fine as well. Oilers will sign a stop gap (gryba type) role player to give some RHD depth and call it a summer. Next summer will be when we add that last dman, if Nurse doesn't show big signs of improvement.

Nurse didn't even have a bad year, he had a poor stretch where after injuries and poor play by veterans on the Oilers team saw him playing too many minutes too high in the lineup. Don't people remember that when he was first called up how excited people were for how Nurse was playing? Then he got bumped up because the Oilers D got hammered with injuries and he had trouble, not unreasonable for a rookie to struggle trying to play top pairing minutes but everyone got so down on him that they didn't even care that after they cut down his minutes again his level of play improved. Nurse's struggles last year are greatly over blown.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I would agree on the surface there's a value discrepancy between Nurse and Trouba, and that at minimum one add would be required. However, Jets fans seem to be overrating the worth of a player who is open to the threat of an offer sheet.

We already saw this movie play out last year, if you'll recall; Dougie Hamilton was a far more proven player offensively and went for straight picks prior to signing with Calgary. There's no question Hamilton's contract status negatively impacted his value.

With that in mind, Nurse and, say, Reinhart might not look the most attractive return, but those two are far closer to making an impact in the NHL than the 1st and two 2nds Calgary traded for Hamilton or the 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2018 you'd stand to receive for an offer sheet in the $7-7.4M range.

With that comparable in mind, I personally would not be surprised if Nurse isn't even on the table. Chiarelli refused to part with him for Hamilton, and now you've got a player with even less offence to his name potentially demanding more money. Given the option of losing a mandated number of draft choices or a 6'4 defenceman who just turned 21, it's easy to see why Edmonton might only stick to offers that mimic the offer sheet compensation structure.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
No. Nuse only has second pair upside (imo) because he lacks the high end hockey IQ needed to be a true #1. He's like another Zach Bogosian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad