Proposal: Darnell Nurse for Jacob Trouba straight up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
What happened to Nurse? I haven't followed him since he was rated highly. Stagnating or progressing too slowly?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's talking about hockey IQ. One can be smart outside hockey and still lack making proper decision on the ice.

The thing is though that people have been saying it since he was drafted and it wasn't true in junior. It's true that he had some issues last year, but most 20 year old defensemen do, especially when forced to play far above their head. When Nurse was playing where he should (bottom pair), he didn't have "hockey IQ" issues. It's only when, as a 20 year old, he was expected to play top minutes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jets get fleeced...Nurse's ceiling is slowly getting lower and lower. He went from top pairing potential to 2nd pairing potential but right now it doesn't look like a sure thing either. He still needs to do a lot of work to be a #4 or maybe even a #3 whereas Trouba is already there.

And yes, I know Nurse has 2 better defenders ahead of him...he still wouldn't be a good #3/4 even without them 'blocking' him.

Such a typical HF post. 20 year old struggles some in his rookie season and now he is regressing. Ridiculous

Anyway, Jets don't do this so we can all move on peacefully.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What happened to Nurse? I haven't followed him since he was rated highly. Stagnating or progressing too slowly?

before last season IQ-less Nurse was declared the best shutdown Dman of OHL by team coaches and won the OHL Scholastic Player of the Year.

Pretty good for a dumb guy.

One season where he was rushed into playing 20+mins\night in NHL instead of playing in AHL apparently makes him a bust.

Nurse to Oilers D is as valuable as Draisaitl to Oilers forwards.
Both are part of the long term solution and neither is getting moved anytime soon.

Trouba holds more value because he is proven and plays the right side but Nurse is not for sale and is far from a bust.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Jets get fleeced...Nurse's ceiling is slowly getting lower and lower. He went from top pairing potential to 2nd pairing potential but right now it doesn't look like a sure thing either. He still needs to do a lot of work to be a #4 or maybe even a #3 whereas Trouba is already there.

And yes, I know Nurse has 2 better defenders ahead of him...he still wouldn't be a good #3/4 even without them 'blocking' him.

Rookie defender gets forced into top pair NHL minutes during his first pro season due to injuries. That defender then struggles to play those kind of minutes so therefore his ceiling is really low and and has a lot of work to do to be a #4. ****ing Classic.

As for the trade, there is no way the Jets do this as the players are almost the same age and Trouba is already a #3. Trouba level is what we should hope Nurse can become one day. IF (big IF) his brain can catch up to his elite skating, physicallity and nastiness then he will easily be a #3.

I could see the Oil being hesitant on this deal though as Nurse doesn't need to be protected. Larsson and Klefbom (at least for his 30 games this past season) are In my opinion better than Trouba and Sekera has to be protected so then the Oil would likely lose Trouba to the expansion draft or have to trade one of the others.

Value wise though obviously it's terrible for the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No thanks. Jets can figure out how to sign and then protect Trouba. Nurse is exempt and on his ELC.

Pretty straightforward. Jets protect 4 D and 4 F, and lose one of their young non-elite forwards where they have a ton of depth in the organization. If they protect 4 F, they'll likely just lose one of Lowry, Armia or Dano. They have the depth to fill in for any of them.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Plays for the Oilers, therefore fans of every other team think he is worthless now.

If he was a Leaf they'd be saying he is progressing just fine.

Nurse had a rough rookie season where he was thrown into the deep end with no support. Trouba saw his his production fall across the board playing shelter minutes behind some very good Dmen.

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The only question about Nurse is whether the offensive game will come at the NHL level. He doesn't have the big shot from the point and isn't the most natural in the offensive zone, but he's not a complete wasteland either and those problems could go away.

Sure as a rookie he had some mistakes and brain farts, especially when playing big minutes, but he was a 20 year old rookie last year! He is a smart, hard working kid with all the skating, strength and willingness to play physical you could want. He is going to be at worst a great skating physical defender who is a complete pain in the ass to play against. If the offensive game comes then you got yourself a top pairing guy, if it doesn't you still got a real valuable piece.

Sometimes he cheats because of his physical skills but again, that's the kind of thing that goes away with experience. I can recall reading pre-draft scouting reports that said Nurse might have a better physical package than Seth Jones but was just way way more raw and needed more work. So why are we calling him a bust at 20 when he clearly showed he could play in a lesser role on a bad team in the NHL already?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Neither. Some people just seem to think that a top 10 pick should have peaked at age 20 it seems. He is still rated highly.

But somehow it's justified to say that Trouba's regressing and his development has stagnated etc. when there's a whopping one year of age difference between the two...

We should literally ban all Trouba proposals. Trouba is literally what Winnipeg needs, so people here are unable to make a proposal which make sense for both sides. Yet they still try and fail...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
???

Clearly he's a bust, right? No chance at a top pairing despite what NHL scouts have said about him... despite that he get's asked about from NHL GMs in any trade Chia tries to make.
What makes you smarter than the rest?

Just because he won't be a top pairing doesn't mean he's a bust. I just don't see defensive IQ in him

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
before last season IQ-less Nurse was declared the best shutdown Dman of OHL by team coaches and won the OHL Scholastic Player of the Year.

Pretty good for a dumb guy.

One season where he was rushed into playing 20+mins\night in NHL instead of playing in AHL apparently makes him a bust.

Nurse to Oilers D is as valuable as Draisaitl to Oilers forwards.
Both are part of the long term solution and neither is getting moved anytime soon.

Trouba holds more value because he is proven and plays the right side but Nurse is not for sale and is far from a bust.

This all day long...

20 year old D struggling on the Oilers D core...you don't say...People need to relax on the Nurse low IQ/bust talk....69 games into his pro career play a position that most don't fully develop into until they are 23/24 years old.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
The award is for on and off the ice(for which I gave the criteria) try to follow along

Like said before I'm sure he is very smart outside of hockey taking academic classes. Same with Dustin Brown who won the award 3 times.

Maybe he can learn to make a breakout pass, maybe he can develop a shot, maybe he learn how to handle the puck better, maybe can learn where to play in the d-zone, maybe he can put it all together or even a bit of those things and become a Bogosian type player.

It was a tough season for him Oilers really put him in a tough situation. With all his raw tools he will be an interesting prospect to follow.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Neither. Some people just seem to think that a top 10 pick should have peaked at age 20 it seems. He is still rated highly.

Exactly, its believed that PC had turned down trades involving RHD prior/at the draft because the return ask had been 4OA + either one of LD or Nurse.

The Oilers new core is indeed McDavid, LD and Nurse and perhaps Klefbom/Larsson.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Oilers are lacking in right handed shots, Jets with lefties. Both are equally dominant players in terms of physicality. The way I see it the pairing would shake up to be

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Trouba
Davidson - Fayne/Reinhart

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Nurse - Myers
Stuart - Postma/Morrissey

Is Nurse a top 4 d-man? Because I've seen some talk of him going back to the AHL

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Like said before I'm sure he is very smart outside of hockey taking academic classes. Same with Dustin Brown who won the award 3 times.

Maybe he can learn to make a breakout pass, maybe he can develop a shot, maybe he learn how to handle the puck better, maybe can learn where to play in the d-zone, maybe he can put it all together or even a bit of those things and become a Bogosian type player.

It was a tough season for him Oilers really put him in a tough situation. With all his raw tools he will be an interesting prospect to follow.
He was smart enough to go a PPG enroute to a Stanley Cup....what an idiot.
Nurse won't have the offense to be a #1 defenseman but he has the potential to be a solid physical shut down #2.
The Ontario Hockey League Scholastic Player of the Year is selected by a committee of OHL Educational Consultants who assess each nominee's academic achievements, and by Frank Bonello, Director of National Hockey League Central Scouting, who evaluates each nominee's hockey ability.
Please see the bolded. The award has two parts to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
It was to be Nurse + 16th + 33rd- basically the Calgary package with Nurse added in. Edmonton said no.

Hamilton went for 15, 45 and 52.

16th, 33rd and Nurse is a big ask comparing to the above. Values Nurse at 52th plus mid 3rd.

If you want to send Nurse to MIN for 2 x 3rds... Immediate deal.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Hamilton went for 15, 45 and 52.

16th, 33rd and Nurse is a big ask comparing to the above. Values Nurse at 52th plus mid 3rd.

If you want to send Nurse to MIN for 2 x 3rds... Immediate deal.
It was more of a F YOU from Neely to Chiarelli.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Nurse is a straight up bust.

Imagine if they had picked Ristolainen instead who went to Sabres with the next pick. They would have their #1 D and they would have been able to keep Hall.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
There is a 1 year difference here..

b5Mczwu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad