Proposal: Darnell Nurse for Jacob Trouba straight up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
One is at worse a #3 D in the NHL.

The other is heading to bust territory after displaying the Physical tools but nothing between the ears. Luke Schenn 2.0

This is pure b.s. Schenn didn't make it because he can't skate. Nurse is one of the best skaters in the league. He was always pegged as a guy who would take a couple of years to adjust to the NHL game. And he was okay as a rookie, so keep this "bust" garbage to yourself.

Trouba came in as a more NHL ready player, and is a far superior player today. Considering that Nurse isn't going to have to be protected in the expansion draft, makes very little compared to what Trouba might want, and is actually under contract, it makes more sense from the business end of things to just let him develop rather than trade him for a guy who while better today, isn't projected to necessarily be better when all is said and done.

I can't wait to throw this "bust" garbage back at people when Nurse hits his peak and is a force in this league. Nurse wasn't on the table for Hamilton. He obviously wasn't available for a defense upgrade when other defensemen were rumored to be available (Vatanen, etc). Not to mention that if we were trading for an immediate upgrade on the blueline, it would probably be more of a Tyson Barrie type than a Jacob Trouba type, as we still are lacking a high end puck mover. It just doesn't make sense. In terms of player quality and pure value for Winnipeg, and in terms of player fit and upside for Edmonton.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unless Trouba's demands are astronomical the Oilers would be adding on this deal unless management holds Nurse in a really high regard.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah Trouba in Edmonton would be a solid fit, If Chia doesn't mind giving him the big money to play there 7x7 is the rumored amount pretty sure he would play just about any where for the right amount of money.

He is not worth $7 million, IMO he's not even worth $5.5 million right now. Far better than Nurse right now yes, but after last season I sure as hell wouldn't sign him for 7X7, that's Ekblad money.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Oilers don't have the cap space to be paying Trouba 5+ million for 20-22 min a night. Rather have Nurse protected for the expansion draft and see if a PP QB shakes loose

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Unless Trouba's demands are astronomical the Oilers would be adding on this deal unless management holds Nurse in a really high regard.

I think this is the reality. Edmonton refused Nurse for Hamilton, and Hamilton fit our needs at the time perfectly. I think Chiarelli and co. see superstar potential in Nurse.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
One is at worse a #3 D in the NHL.

The other is heading to bust territory after displaying the Physical tools but nothing between the ears. Luke Schenn 2.0
You're clueless about Nurse. How do you say he has nothing between the ears?
The Ontario Hockey League Scholastic Player of the Year is selected by a committee of OHL Educational Consultants who assess each nominee's academic achievements, and by Frank Bonello, Director of National Hockey League Central Scouting, who evaluates each nominee's hockey ability.

Put your cap on :dunce:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
He is not worth $7 million, IMO he's not even worth $5.5 million right now. Far better than Nurse right now yes, but after last season I sure as hell wouldn't sign him for 7X7, that's Ekblad money.

Totally agree, Right now Trouba isn't worth $7 million maybe close to around $4.5 million to $5 million possibly. I still think he has another 4 years until he's a pending UFA maybe by his UFA years he might be worth close to $7 million per but right now agree that he's worth much less. If he's truly seeking that much from Winnipeg that tells me the it's either pay me that much or trade me kind of deals. Like if i stay in Winnipeg either give me the big money or trade me that's how i kind of see it any ways.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Nurse would be the +. What's the main piece Edmonton is sending over?
It was a Leafs fan that proposed this and most Oiler fans aren't interested in this deal because of cap and expansion draft issues(which are both valuable pieces on their own). Move on

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Trouba is worth way, way more than Nurse.

One year older, has 3 NHL seasons better than any of Nurse's. Edmonton would be lucky if Nurse ever gets to Trouba's level.

The nonsense about Trouba taking a step back because of his drop in offensive production is just so inaccurate. He lost a lot of PP time since his first season, and has seen his regular D partner become the worst defensemen in the NHL, Mark Stuart. The guy can't even make the first pass out of his end, Trouba is constantly covering up for him.

Check any advanced stat and it will only say Trouba has improved from year 1 to year 3. I expect his offensive production to improve once he is released from his anchor (Stuart).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Totally agree, Right now Trouba isn't worth $7 million maybe close to around $4.5 million to $5 million possibly. I still think he has another 4 years until he's a pending UFA maybe by his UFA years he might be worth close to $7 million per but right now agree that he's worth much less. If he's truly seeking that much from Winnipeg that tells me the it's either pay me that much or trade me kind of deals. Like if i stay in Winnipeg either give me the big money or trade me that's how i kind of see it any ways.

Which begs the question, if he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg unless it's for a gross overpayment would he want to come to Edmonton without the same overpayment? If the answer is no then I'd keep Nurse over overpaying Trouba + giving up Nurse.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Go look up tax rates and report back.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I think this is the reality. Edmonton refused Nurse for Hamilton, and Hamilton fit our needs at the time perfectly. I think Chiarelli and co. see superstar potential in Nurse.

Yea that didn't happen.

Hamilton for Nurse would have been a bank robbery. Either baseless rumor or a massive add for oilers.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yea that didn't happen.

Hamilton for Nurse would have been a bank robbery. Either baseless rumor or a massive add for oilers.

It was Nurse + picks that the Oilers turned down for Hamilton. Not sure what picks Boston wanted

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/bs-shun-oilers-offer-trade-hamilton-calgary

According to an NHL source, Edmonton -- now run by former Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli -- offered Boston the 16th, 33rd and 57th picks for Hamilton, but the Bruins wanted 20-year-old defenseman Darnell Nurse as part of the package. CHiarelli balked, and the B's turned elsewhere.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Jets get fleeced...Nurse's ceiling is slowly getting lower and lower. He went from top pairing potential to 2nd pairing potential but right now it doesn't look like a sure thing either. He still needs to do a lot of work to be a #4 or maybe even a #3 whereas Trouba is already there.

And yes, I know Nurse has 2 better defenders ahead of him...he still wouldn't be a good #3/4 even without them 'blocking' him.

???

Based on what?!

A 20 year old defender gets pushed into the NHL a year early. Demonstrates he's physically capable of being an intimidating force in the NHL. Demonstrates elite skating at the NHL level. Plays 20 mins a night on the 3rd worst team in the league. Contributes 106 blocked shots and 160 hits (20th in the league). Demonstrates the expected difficulty adjusting to positioning at the NHL level. Ends up a - 13 in 69 games.

Clearly he's a bust, right? No chance at a top pairing despite what NHL scouts have said about him... despite that he get's asked about from NHL GMs in any trade Chia tries to make.

What makes you smarter than the rest?

This was an MVP for Canada's World Junior team 18 months ago... world JUNIOR team.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
You're clueless about Nurse. How do you say he has nothing between the ears?

Put your cap on :dunce:

He's talking about hockey IQ. One can be smart outside hockey and still lack making proper decision on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad