Former Bruins Danton Heinen

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Danton has been very good.

He can play center or wing and apparently on any line.

He is a strong skater.

He looks like he is a smart player.

He seems to get along well with all of the Bs

Thank God the coach pushed so hard to keep him around.

It was fun to see Danton with a smile on his face often last night. You can see that his teammates are happy for him too.
He was at Center. I missed that.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I have long been a fanboy, is he or did he get quicker ? I don`t recall him winning as many foot races in his time here before? Just love the guy
I think he’s winning the battles because of his lines and willingness to battle. He’s getting the puck out of danger areas by sacrificing himself in a way that is new. It’s awesome.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm not convinced this version of Heinen was the one we've always seen.

To me he looks way more engaged in puck battles and looks like he's thinking more offensively than making a "safe play" - I have zero issue with how he's playing, hell, he might even be growing on me. He looks like a different player to me. Maybe someone can shine some light on it. Am I going insane?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

To me he looks way more engaged in puck battles and looks like he's thinking more offensively than making a "safe play" - I have zero issue with how he's playing, hell, he might even be growing on me. He looks like a different player to me. Maybe someone can shine some light on it. Am I going insane?

At a ppg perspective if you prorate out all his past seasons, his floor is 30 pts per 82. The difference now is we're ok with 30 pts.

You're finally ok with 30 pts because he's getting 775k. That's what's happening. At 4M we're probably grumbling.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
At a ppg perspective if you prorate out all his past seasons, his floor is 30 pts per 82. The difference now is we're ok with 30 pts.

You're finally ok with 30 pts because he's getting 775k. That's what's happening. At 4M we're probably grumbling.
This is it right here.

Makes me wonder if he keeps his play up what he could potentially get next year. He's definitely not a PTO, that's for sure. If the Bruins could get him for 2x2 or something, I'd welcome that in a time where we would have a bunch of cap space.

Reactions: HustleB and Ladyfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

He matured in his time away. He came up under Cassidy, had a good rookie season, but as much as I liked Bruce, he was hard on young players to the detriment of some of them. He went away and got to work with other coaches and players and grow into his game. Now he is playing for a coach he likes and the feeling is mutual- that can make a big difference.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
This is it right here.

Makes me wonder if he keeps his play up what he could potentially get next year. He's definitely not a PTO, that's for sure. If the Bruins could get him for 2x2 or something, I'd welcome that in a time where we would have a bunch of cap space.

Yeah he's definitely a solid fit for us at 2m for sure. At only 28 years of age I'd be entirely comfortable with 2 x 3 even for more term.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I agree.
(Except the growing on me part)
lol

Let’s trade him now while his value is at its peak.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenian24

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Experience is a wonderful thing. Heinen is always going to be good for 35ish points and play a steady two way game.

I think he’s just more seasoned now.

Reactions: Ladyfan and hrdpuk

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Heinen has always been a smart player and always had a bit of offense in him. I think the Heinen skeptics, understandably so, were basing their evaluation of Heinen this pre-season on his previous time in Boston and hadn't watched him much post-Boston. This comment by Heinen pretty well sums up the difference between his first stint with Boston and where he is now:

“It hasn’t always been that way, but I think I rely on my stick a lot. I think maybe too much in the past, but kind of trying to get better at getting body position, getting my body in there and then relying on my stick to win it, So, a little bit of both there and something I keep on trying to improve on.”

He was using his body a lot more with Pit than before when he was a B. He was going in with his body during board battles rather than standing a couple feet away and poking around with his stick. The softness reputation he had during his first go with Boston wasn't inaccurate. Contrast that with 2023 when he is winning board battles and has been first on the scene twice in one week during shenanigans after the whistle.

He seems more confident now and doesn't shy away from physical play like he did in the past. He still might seem too soft for some (he's never going to be a banger), but as Monty pointed out Heinen is winning 50-50 battles 64% of the time. That's damn effective for an NHL player, physical player or not.

Having said all that, Heinen is still primarily going to thrive in the bottom 6, while playing a game here and there in the top-6 when the need arises. One great game in the top 6 against the Sharks doesn't mean he needs to be a permanent fixture in the top 6. Ideally the Bs would have a better option in the top-6, but given the cap situation Heinen might end up shouldering more games in the top-6 than what would be optimal. It'll be interesting to see how he does against non-AHL competition across multiple games in that role. @Absurdity summed Heinen up well when calling him a chameleon.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
30Pts(10G,20A??), plus he is playing for his next contract as well. Definite turning point year, in his ability to stay in the NHL.

If we get the prime Pitts. Heinen, he's a steal. @ 775K

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I've never been the biggest Heinen fan. Good hockey sense and skills, but I always thought he lacked effort, urgency and intensity in his game. Almost certainly the fact that the best he could get this past summer was a PTO with a former team and coach. That is probably weighing on him for next season and affecting his play in a good way And you can see it on the ice.

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad