Former Bruins Danton Heinen

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I guess you all missed his turnover? He had a good game, how you go from being the 13th forward to being on the top line can only be explained by Heinen's Heinies. He isn't in the line up when Lauko and Lucic are healthy.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I guess you all missed his turnover? He had a good game, how you go from being the 13th forward to being on the top line can only be explained by Heinen's Heinies. He isn't in the line up when Lauko and Lucic are healthy.

I saw his turnover. I saw many turnovers from people. It happens, and it sure wasn't all his fault. People who don't like Heinen like to focus and emphasize what he can't do rather than seeing what he can.

he is not a first line forward, which is why he is playing for less than 800K this season. No doubt about it.

BUT he is versatile, can do a lot of things pretty well, and generally works hard for 200 feet. Guys who actually can play all 4 lines and do at least an ok job and contribute on any are vitally important to have around.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I saw his turnover. I saw many turnovers from people. It happens, and it sure wasn't all his fault. People who don't like Heinen like to focus and emphasize what he can't do rather than seeing what he can.

he is not a first line forward, which is why he is playing for less than 800K this season. No doubt about it.

BUT he is versatile, can do a lot of things pretty well, and generally works hard for 200 feet. Guys who actually can play all 4 lines and do at least an ok job and contribute on any are vitally important to have around.
no player, as you stated, is immune to mistakes. It`s a play like he made on Zacha`s goal that separates players. Not everyone dives for that puck to push it to Lohrei who slid it to Carlo before the goal. Likely a play many missed as the focus and applause will go to the 3 involved in the scoring

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I saw his turnover. It was not good.

I think it's safe to say that most don't "want him on the top line" as that sounds hyperbolic.

He may play his way into a healthy lineup, though. Yes, it was only one game but he provided a reason to be optimistic.

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
speaks to his character too by staying around, working hard in practice, being a good soldier waiting to be signed.

He is, simply a solid NHL player who won`t bring anyone out of their seats, won`t hurt you defensively and from all accounts, a solid locker room guy

Happy B Day, btw.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
good game by henien, really like the idea of the heinen zacha pastrnak line
High IQ player who can anticipate the play ahead of him and finds himself in position to distribute the puck. I think he works scarily well on a line with Pastrnak.

If he sticks on that line too it allows you to spread the offense around a little by putting Debrusk or Geekie on the third line and also being able to shelter JvR's 5-on-5 minutes where he's pretty slow on his feet.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He's been great. Few assists out there that wouldnt be had cause he was the fourth player in the sequence but was the direct reason the play resulted in a goal.

Also like a dog on a bone when it comes to his board work. Last night especially in his fourth line role.

He really is a versatile player. Can be plugged in anywhere when needed. Cant ask for much more from your "13th" forward especially at that cap hit.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Don’t play hide and seek with Danton Heinen.
It’s just about impossible to tell where the versatile, veteran Bruins winger is going to be from game to game.
Need a fourth-line energy guy? Heinen’s your man.
In search of a reliable and responsible winger (on either side) to jump on to one of the top scoring lines? Just tap Heinen on the shoulder.
How about a sturdy and strong penalty killer? Yup, send in No. 43.
It’s been quite a hockey journey for the eight-year NHL player — and that’s just this season. Signed to a professional tryout agreement right before camp, Heinen battled his way through the summer, the exhibition schedule, and the first eight games of the regular season — including a week on the West Coast — before landing a contract.

Since then, he’s landed on just about every spot in the lineup. His patience may have been tested, but his faith never wavered.

“To be honest, I mean it sounds cliché, but it’s just kind of day by day, you don’t know what the next day is going to bring. All you can do is control what you can control, and I just have belief that it’s going to work out,” Heinen said following Thursday’s morning skate. “The whole time you really, really want to be a part of it because of how special it is to be a Bruin. So, the whole process is kind of just believing, and just kind of day by day, and it’s kind of what I’m trying to keep with that mind-set.”

Heinen, who opened the scoring in the Bruins’ 3-0 win, doesn’t necessarily alter his style when he gets new linemates, he just tries to stick with what works best for him.

It’s been a steady surge for Heinen, who now has two goals and 5 points in his last six games. The production was a big reason Jim Montgomery moved him up the lineup.

“What we’ve seen from him is a guy who is playing the right way. He’s reloading well and he’s winning [battles],” the coach said. “We keep track of 50-50 battles and he’s someone that’s winning at a 64 percent level, so we’re getting the puck. He’s ending plays and we’re going the other way. Or he is keeping pucks alive in the offensive zone, and he’s made a lot of good offensive plays, either support plays usually, and he’s becoming more primary as he’s trying to, we’ve encouraged him to use his shot more and he’s done that more in the last five games.”

Winning those puck battles is something that Heinen has made a point of emphasis.

“It hasn’t always been that way, but I think I rely on my stick a lot. I think maybe too much in the past, but kind of trying to get better at getting body position, getting my body in there and then relying on my stick to win it,” he said. “So, a little bit of both there and something I keep on trying to improve on.”

Montgomery, who coached Heinen at Denver University, said his versatility has been a cornerstone of his success.

“He’s a complementary support player, so it is really valuable because I feel he can play with anyone, anywhere, and he can obviously help any center,” Montgomery said.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Danton has been very good.

He can play center or wing and apparently on any line.

He is a strong skater.

He looks like he is a smart player.

He seems to get along well with all of the Bs

Thank God the coach pushed so hard to keep him around.

It was fun to see Danton with a smile on his face often last night. You can see that his teammates are happy for him too.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I didn't mind Heinen the first time around, but actually am liking this version of him a lot more.

Different guy

Might be their smartest guy

Ideally third like LW

Heinen - Coyle- Frederic

That’s very very good
I like this. Reminds me of Johansson on Coyles wing, think it's a good fit

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
What does he need point total wise to be an overwhelming success at 775k?

He's half a point a game right now, but with the promotion we could see that trend upwards.

I'd think at 30 pts he's a ridiculous steal. So 23 more points in 60 more games.

I do think he's going to get more than that if healthy. JVR and Poitras are probably the only contracts better on this team right now, dollars to dollars.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What does he need point total wise to be an overwhelming success at 775k?

He's half a point a game right now, but with the promotion we could see that trend upwards.

I'd think at 30 pts he's a ridiculous steal. So 23 more points in 60 more games.

I do think he's going to get more than that if healthy. JVR and Poitras are probably the only contracts better on this team right now, dollars to dollars.
Honestly with the versatility he is already providing he is a steal regardless of the production. There aren't very many depth forwards you can feel comfortable throwing on any line.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This is the Heinen from 2 seasons ago, the one who got 18 goals and was playing more physical than in his first stint in Boston.

It's why I felt from the get-go he was a steal at anything near $1M, provided he was back to full health.

Still lots of season left, but so far Heinen has already shown his versatility and ability to make a positive impact on games. Good things happen when he's on the ice, no matter the line he's on. It's not dumb luck. He's smart and knows what he's doing, even if many of the things he does fail to appear on the score sheet. Good to see him getting more appreciation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad