Speculation: Dale Weise: "I'm not going to lie, I know there's a good chance I'll be traded."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But I'm not interested in trading the TWO guys who hustled and produced more than expected - Weise or Byron - unless there is a very strong offer that can't reasonably be refused, or if they have said they don't want to return. Actually three, as I think Barberio has earned another contract too.

Why not?..The hell is the point in keeping them? Get some draft picks. Finding bottom 6 players is hardly a tough task.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Perfect time for Weise to cash in, it's probably going to be his only big contract so i'm not mad at him for waiting until July 1st.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So long Dale, definitely a truly likeable guy and when you hear him say something like dream come true you know he really means it, he had some special moments here in mtl especially in the playoffs hole ****, if he does come back in free agency great, but i do hope we get something for him at the deadline its only logical

to me hes a bottom 6 forward who keeps getting played in a top 6 role, it hurts the team, so if he has to go for that to stop, then he has to go you know what i mean?

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Don't mind Weise. Won't lose sleep over him being traded though. He can thank the Canadiens for giving him the minutes.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I thought he messed up the lines when Gallagher went down. Instead of just picking the best of Carr/Ghetto/Holloway and slotting them temporarily in the top 6, he blew everything up while we were winning. Mistake.

The biggest component of the blowup was Galch to wing, which you're completely ok with. At best, this is a very minor criticism.

I don't agree with his criticism of Carr for being "inconsistent".

Again, a seemingly very minor criticism. He called a guy with 19 games inconsistent, so what?

I disagree with how quickly he pulled the plug on Galch at C last year.

Why? How are any of the reasons you gave for supporting that move this season not applicable for last year?

Galchenyuk was moved to the wing for two reasons:

First, he was on the ice for WAYYYY too many goals against during a losing stretch. This was over a 4 week period, and not just a statistical fluctuation.

Was Galchenyuk a defensive stalwart last season? Did he have a defensive game in 2014-15 that's regressed this year?

Second, Lars Eller was not working out as well as hoped as a winger. He has been much better at C, in fact should be in our top 6, as you and I have both been saying for a couple of years. At C, at least Eller has a chance to shine more.

Was Eller a great winger in 2014-15? Did his great winger skill set from last year suddenly disappear?

Using Galchenyuk at wing is perhaps something which some folks do not agree with, but the idea came to his Junior coaches and the US Junior Team coaches long before Therrien thought of it. Maybe, just maybe, despite the fact that the fans desperately want Galchenyuk to develop into the next Guy Lafleur (but who plays C), he is more like Damphousse and Stamkos and other who can play either C or wing and it is no big deal.

This was a fact last year as well.

Saying that Galch is "second fiddle" to DD, you would think that he plays A LOT LESS, but the difference is 25 seconds per game!

26 seconds this season and 49 seconds last year. An increase of 23 seconds is significant to you?

On the PP, Galch even plays more than DD. He is third in minutes played on the PP this year.

Galchenyuk only played 10 seconds less than DD on the PP last year, and now only plays 18 seconds more.

So really, I'm not seeing any substantive difference between 2014-15 and 2015-16 that let's me clearly see why one year moving Galch is bad, but this year it makes total sense.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Newsflash. Dallas might have a shot at the Cup. Habs might have a shot at Matthews. Then, the whole Galchy debate is that most people would want to see him center the #1 or #2 position. To the whole "But...but...but....it's tough to acquire a Center you know" from Bergevin, our answer was..."but you might have one in your own freakin team you dumbass".

Nichuskin is now playing his 2nd full NHL season. Galchy is at his 4th. Something tells me it's fine that they are not at the same level right now and that Dallas is taking more their time with him while in the same freakin time....they are big time winning. While, with what was his 4the year of development in a losing cause, we are still mixing up big time with Galchenyuk. Next year will be his 5th year....where are we going with this? Are we finally going to make him a full time winger? At what point do you stop playing in a guy's head and appoint him a real position?

This

Nobody complained about AG being sheltered the first 2 and even 3 years. But he is now 22 and have almost 4 years of NHL experience. I would still not have any problem with him playing behind dunno Datsyuk and Plekanec while waiting for Datsyuk to retire. But behind DD and Plekanec that's another story.

He was also better than DD this season so no reason for him to still play behind DD.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The biggest component of the blowup was Galch to wing, which you're completely ok with. At best, this is a very minor criticism.

Why? How are any of the reasons you gave for supporting that move this season not applicable for last year?

Was Galchenyuk a defensive stalwart last season? Did he have a defensive game in 2014-15 that's regressed this year?

So really, I'm not seeing any substantive difference between 2014-15 and 2015-16 that let's me clearly see why one year moving Galch is bad, but this year it makes total sense.

Simple explanation: last year, the team was winning and Galchenyuk was not -15 over 4 weeks. This year, the team was losing and the red light kept lighting up behind our goalie. After four weeks of that, the coach is entitled to adjust.

As for the line juggling, actually Galch remained at center for a long time after Gallagher went down. He was finally moved to wing recently, at the same time Eller was moved to C.

In reponse to Kriss E, it is true that I said that moving Galchenyuk to wing was necessary if we wanted him to play 16-18 minutes per game. Just because Therrien did not often do that does not mean that I was wrong.

Here is what I would like to see, if there were no injuries.

17-19 minutes
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

15-17 minutes
Pacioretty-Eller-Andrighetto/Carr

11-12 minutes
Carr/Andrighetto-Desharnais-Weise
Byron-DeLaRose-Mitchell/Flynn

Pacioretty could pick up a couple extra minutes being double shifted at the end of a period.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Why would anyone want to see Galchenyuk on the wing when they could be using this already lost season as developing time for him at center? Seems painfully obvious where he should be playing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Galchenyuk was moved to the wing for two reasons:
He's been misused for a long time now. He should've never been taken off Max's wing LAST year. Even when we had him at center this season he still played 2nd fiddle to DD the whole time. Please, stop with the excuses. Last year we say we're "in transition" but don't develop him. Now we're out of it and he's on the wing. He's been great at center but we won't play him there. The guy could help us win some games if we gave him more ice and put him at center but our coach is a total idiot. It's been a complete gongshow and there will be textbooks made on the Habs incompetence in how to develop prospects.

Last edited:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I am sure Bergevin would have let Dale know 4 months ago when he started working on making a trade before deadline. These things don't happen over night you know.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As for the line juggling, actually Galch remained at center for a long time after Gallagher went down. He was finally moved to wing recently, at the same time Eller was moved to C.

In reponse to Kriss E, it is true that I said that moving Galchenyuk to wing was necessary if we wanted him to play 16-18 minutes per game. Just because Therrien did not often do that does not mean that I was wrong.

Here is what I would like to see, if there were no injuries.

17-19 minutes
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

15-17 minutes
Pacioretty-Eller-Andrighetto/Carr

11-12 minutes
Carr/Andrighetto-Desharnais-Weise
Byron-DeLaRose-Mitchell/Flynn

Pacioretty could pick up a couple extra minutes being double shifted at the end of a period.

You said it would permit it and he'd develop his offensive game. That was your argument as to why he should be on the wing. None of that happened.

Galchenyuk can't even beat out DD for Christ's sake. We're doing a terrible job with him. He should have been groomed at center from day 1.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
I like how he highly recommends that lucic is exactly the guy we need. Can you imagine bringing him in here? Holy crap. Weise definitely can't still be here lol

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I like how he highly recommends that lucic is exactly the guy we need. Can you imagine bringing him in here? Holy crap. Weise definitely can't still be here lol

Lucic is going to re-sign in LA. Can't see why he wouldn't and they gave up a lot to get him.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Weise will get overpaid and hopefully not by Montreal. Hopefully he will fetch something nice next week.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why would anyone want to see Galchenyuk on the wing when they could be using this already lost season as developing time for him at center? Seems painfully obvious where he should be playing.

Develop players and prospects? :biglaugh:

We're in a transition year, man. That means playing DD, Gilbert, Byron, Flynn and Weise as many minutes as possible.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Weiss for 2 millions for 4 -5 years, I'm not against it.
But, for 3-4 millions, trade him RFN.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Why would anyone want to see Galchenyuk become the #1 center? We already have our franchise center in Desharnais. What more can you ask for? He is an elite penalty killer for the opposing team and a playoff performer to top it all off!

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Weise is a great 4th liner.

But if i can get anything of value back for him I pull the trigger.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why would anyone want to see Galchenyuk become the #1 center? We already have our franchise center in Desharnais. What more can you ask for? He is an elite penalty killer for the opposing team and a playoff performer to top it all off!

Such wit here. You do know that Desharnais plays less than Plekanec, both at ES and on the PP? DD is not the #1 center. Not that a guy making $3.5M should have to be measured versus number ones anyway.

Desharnais is a middle-6 center who is overpaid by at least $1M.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Such wit here. You do know that Desharnais plays less than Plekanec, both at ES and on the PP? DD is not the #1 center. Not that a guy making $3.5M should have to be measured versus number ones anyway.

Desharnais is a middle-6 center who is overpaid by at least $1M.

He's not even playing like a mid 6 player. He can't create much on the top 6, he was doing nothing on the 3rd line for a while as well, he's not a checking or energy line player either. He's a very limited skilled player who's just not good enough to cut it as a top 2 center.
Ideally speaking, Plekanec is your #2 center. That's what you want. For your 3rd center, I much rather have a guy like Eller. Strong defensively, big, can be used in tougher defensive assignments, who will be good for about 15 goals.
We need that top offensive center, that's what we should have put the majority of our focus over the past 3 years. Galchenyuk was/is our only player with that potential and we wasted him on the wings.

DD has no place on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad