Speculation: Dale Weise: "I'm not going to lie, I know there's a good chance I'll be traded."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pittsburgh is in the mix, meaning Rutherford is in the mix. A 2nd is very plausible.

I had seen that but didn't post it as the source I found was unreliable. Hopefully yours is better than mine.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Good point. But if he and his familly really love it here and want to stay here for the next 4 or 5 years, he could sign 10M/5y insead of 10M/4y somewhere they know they won't like. But yes, he definately should test the market.

If Weise took less to stay in Montreal, his next contract would be at least 4 years and would allow him to make 200,000 a year (without batting an eye) from ridiculously low interest alone, all that after wasting 1 Million of the take home pay after taxes.

If living in Montreal and playing for this team means that much, I don't think that those conditions aren't workable for a 3rd line player.

When you're making 2,5 Million per for a career length of 5 years, I don't think you're in any kind of bad shape. That's likely what he could get in Montreal, 2 Million if it is Big Time Bargain Bergevin money.

10 Million over 5 years and living in Montreal will set you up for an upper, upper, upper middle class life from 32 until death, without needing to work again, without much effort, if you have half a brain and no serious addictions.

In Weise's case, he'll only be 32 after that contract. He can still earn more money working if he wants to. Or he can enjoy life if he doesn't want to work.

lou4gehrig

Aug 2, 2005
Blackhawks bottom 9 forwards all make less than $1M I believe. We grow too loyal to players. Time to jettison average players and let McCarron or Hudon get the ice time. Weise is a 3rd liner at best. Good bye.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Blackhawks bottom 9 forwards all make less than $1M I believe. We grow too loyal to players. Time to jettison average players and let McCarron or Hudon get the ice time. Weise is a 3rd liner at best. Good bye.

I've been saying this for a while. You need high end stars making big bucks, and then fill the rest of your roster with bargain players and ELC players. We spend WAYYYYYY too much on midranged contracts and it's going to just continue this mediocre thing we have going.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yes, in a cap Era I always thought it's better to play youngsters with cheap contract. Wouldn't mind skille instead of weise

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Yes, in a cap Era I always thought it's better to play youngsters with cheap contract. Wouldn't mind skille instead of weise

McCarron, Holloway, Andrighetto, Scherbak can all fill in a RW role for Weise at a cheaper price. They also all have more offensive upside to slide up and down the line up.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Weiss for 2 millions for 4 -5 years, I'm not against it.

I would be this team is going to be cash strapped if they want to resign price during that time frame. I like Dale but he is a bottom 6 forward consistent type we should have enough dept in the minors to replace him at half that cost.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
We should get rid of ALL our PLAYOFF WINNERS:sarcasm: (players who are hungry for a CUP and show it in playoffs):

PK Subban,
Price (when healthy/hot)
Weise
Gallagher
Mitchell
Eller (sometimes)

HUGE PLAYOFF ZERO:
Pacioretty (fake captain)

No wonder we haven't won a CUP since 1993 (and not even one CUP FINAL since 1993, as well...what a joke).

<Patrick Roy (booed out of town treated like **** by Mario Tremblay).
<Chris Chelios (traded for a semi-retired player)
<PK Subban (treated like **** by his coach)
<Carey Price (booed many many times not that long ago)
<Ryan McDonagh (traded for nothing...huge playoff winner, true/real captain, not like fake captain Pacioretty)

When we find/have playoff winners...we trade/dump them or treat them like ****.

Go Habs Go (0 CUPS/FINALS since 1993).

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
His trolling abilities will be missed.

But for a 2nd(maybe + if there's a bidding war), any day.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

The Hawks are an extreme case. They have two guys eating up $21M. And also you are forgetting Marian Hossa on IR at over $5M.

Tampa Bay is another good team that contends each year, and they have 7 forwards over $2M, one between $1M and $2M, and only 5 under $1M.

The Rangers have 5 guys over $2M, 3 guys around $1.5M, and 5 guys below $1M.

Habs have 6 guys under $1M and 2 guys just barely over $1M.

Again, the Hawks are the exception, and the Habs are within the league norm for good teams.

Oct 22, 2012
I've been saying this for a while. You need high end stars making big bucks, and then fill the rest of your roster with bargain players and ELC players. We spend WAYYYYYY too much on midranged contracts and it's going to just continue this mediocre thing we have going.

It's not just you, teams have been doing this for 10+ years now. Mostly with great success.

Yet, some GMs want to make their own winning model.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Develop players and prospects? :biglaugh:

We're in a transition year, man. That means playing DD, Gilbert, Byron, Flynn and Weise as many minutes as possible.

The transition year crap was a cop out designed to lower our expectations after reaching the ECF.
The whole thing was so bloody transparent. Most of us here were commenting on how MB's next couple of moves were critical to our Cup aspirations at that time. What did MB do... he assumed the fetal position. He KNEW that the correct first move was to dump DD but couldn't force himself to do it.
There isn't a hockey team in this league who wouldn't have concluded that was the move to make after the post season debrief.

Now we are just regressing...

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

The difference with us is that we value grinders like Chicago values Toews, Kane and Hossa. We have better people with poor puck luck and we have valuable guys on da team.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I love the guy, but let him walk.

I'm tired of overpaying bottom six guys and bottom pairing D, let the young kids battle for spots and save the money for more talented players.

Right now we are stuck paying DD, Gilbert and Emelin over $10 million when guys like Barberio, Pateryn and Hudon/Ghetto can do their jobs for less than a $1 million each.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
If Weise doesn't fetch a 2nd.. Bergevin didnt work hard enough.

Agreed. The value is definitely there for a team in contention. The issue will be getting the 2nd rounder this year. Many of the teams rumoured to be in on Weise (Ana, Pit), don't have their 2nd. And rumour also has it teams are loathe to give up picks this year because the draft is so good.

Teams are insisting on future 2nds.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I would trade Weise +DD +5th to pittsburgh / anaheim / nashville in return for a 4th rounder this year.

Huge win receiving Weise for playoffs, huge loss receiving DD for long term.

Frees up 2 spots for our youngsters and salary to get a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad