Speculation: Dale Weise: "I'm not going to lie, I know there's a good chance I'll be traded."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Everything that Weise does, McCarron does it better. Perspective shows us that after his ridiculous start, he's been the same Dale Weise all along.

Weise is by far the fastest faster of the two, not that Big Mac is slow, but Weise is one of the best skaters of the team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Never came to your mind that Weise got time on the top-6 because the main weakness of the team is there. We lack a legit #1 C and a RW. So easy to blame MT for everything.

Weise is 8th on the team among forwards in minutes/game. In other words, smack in the middle of the third line.

There isn't a team in the league that doesn't occasionally play a third liner in the Top 6 or on the fourth line. Both have happened to Weise.

Nothing that unusual, just that we probably aren't watching other teams much.

Bottom line: 8th is 8th. The sky is not falling.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Can't believe we're talking about building a team that prevents MT from exerting his own incompetence on the lineup...

The crazy part is that it's actually a thing. Dale Weise is the type of hockey player that should be unanimously liked, but because he's the teacher's pet, he gets second-guessed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The crazy part is that it's actually a thing. Dale Weise is the type of hockey player that should be unanimously liked, but because he's the teacher's pet, he gets second-guessed.

It remembers me when Mike Keane was playing on the 2nd line. We gave him for free in the Roy trade ...

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Bergevin said it publicly many times. His mandate from Molson is to try to make the playoffs every year. The good thing is that this year he can let things go, sell some non core assets and get a high draft pick. In a few years maybe we will see this lost year as a blessing because it allowed Bergevin to take a road he otherwise would not have been able to take.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Weise is 8th on the team among forwards in minutes/game. In other words, smack in the middle of the third line.

There isn't a team in the league that doesn't occasionally play a third liner in the Top 6 or on the fourth line. Both have happened to Weise.

Nothing that unusual, just that we probably aren't watching other teams much.

Bottom line: 8th is 8th. The sky is not falling.

Yes but it's all on MT. The explaination for everything going bad...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes but it's all on MT. The explaination for everything going bad...

Please go away with this strawman.

The guy is not totally wrong.

The other night, when Galchenyuk made the turnover that led to the 5th goal by Buffalo, check out the gameday thread. Critic after critic levelled abuse on Therrien for what they THOUGHT he was going to do, which was bench Galch for the rest of the game. When he put him right back on the ice next shift, and then on the PP, and the kid scored a goal to atone for his mistake, only ONE person even acknowledged the confidence the coach showed in his young player.

No one else felt the need to man up, because piling on the coach is the trendy thing to do now.

Believe me, Therrien has his faults, and I myself think the team would be advised to make a change, but overdoing the crap-spewing is embarrassing.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
We could potentially package Weise with Plekanec to Nashville. May be able to get a better return for both instead of trading them separately

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The guy is not totally wrong.

The other night, when Galchenyuk made the turnover that led to the 5th goal by Buffalo, check out the gameday thread. Critic after critic levelled abuse on Therrien for what they THOUGHT he was going to do, which was bench Galch for the rest of the game. When he put him right back on the ice next shift, and then on the PP, and the kid scored a goal to atone for his mistake, only ONE person even acknowledged the confidence the coach showed in his young player.

No one else felt the need to man up, because piling on the coach is the trendy thing to do now.

Believe me, Therrien has his faults, and I myself think the team would be advised to make a change, but overdoing the crap-spewing is embarrassing.
Embarrassing is having a 3rd overall pick that we saw as our center of the future playing 2nd fiddle on the wing to a midget who's been wholly ineffective all year long. And we use him this way despite being top 20 in points per minute for centers. THAT's an embarrassment.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Weise is one player I would like to keep but if the right offer comes along then a trade should happen. Mind you Dale could just sign here again in the offseason.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Bergevin said it publicly many times. His mandate from Molson is to try to make the playoffs every year. The good thing is that this year he can let things go, sell some non core assets and get a high draft pick. In a few years maybe we will see this lost year as a blessing because it allowed Bergevin to take a road he otherwise would not have been able to take.

The way MT coaches and MB runs this team we have a good chance at top picks for seasons to come.

They both have been terrible the last 12 months.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Embarrassing is having a 3rd overall pick that we saw as our center of the future playing 2nd fiddle on the wing to a midget who's been wholly ineffective all year long despite being top 20 in points per minute for centers. THAT's an embarrassment.

Galchenyuk was moved to the wing for two reasons:

First, he was on the ice for WAYYYY too many goals against during a losing stretch. This was over a 4 week period, and not just a statistical fluctuation.

Second, Lars Eller was not working out as well as hoped as a winger. He has been much better at C, in fact should be in our top 6, as you and I have both been saying for a couple of years. At C, at least Eller has a chance to shine more.

Using Galchenyuk at wing is perhaps something which some folks do not agree with, but the idea came to his Junior coaches and the US Junior Team coaches long before Therrien thought of it. Maybe, just maybe, despite the fact that the fans desperately want Galchenyuk to develop into the next Guy Lafleur (but who plays C), he is more like Damphousse and Stamkos and other who can play either C or wing and it is no big deal.

Saying that Galch is "second fiddle" to DD, you would think that he plays A LOT LESS, but the difference is 25 seconds per game! On the PP, Galch even plays more than DD. He is third in minutes played on the PP this year.

Reading posters here, you would think Dale Weise plays more than Galch on the PP or overall, and of course it is not true. Weise plays less minutes per game than Eller and even Fleischmann. Weise is 8th in minutes/game, seventh if we eliminate Fleischmann who has been in the stands lately.

Now, would I be happier if Desharnais and Weise played about a minute less per game and Eller and Galchenyuk a minute more than they have? Sure, but that is hardly a BIG ENOUGH difference of opinion to justify the vicious piling on I have seen lately.

I'm ok with criticizing Therrien, and I do it myself, but lately it's been a tad overblown. When someone goes too far, and another poster (jfm133) speaks up and points this out, attempting to silence the guy who brings some moderation to the debate is not a fair response. Yeah, he has repeated himself, but the MT critics repeat themselves ad nauseum and yet the moderators don't step in for that!

I for one appreciate it when I hear many different opinions.

Incidentally, I find that the "midget" tag crosses the line, and is personal and unfair. Being short is not something a person can help, nor has it stopped some players from excelling and reaching the Hall of Fame or from becoming shoo-ins to do so. Again, verbal abuse against certain individuals has become so commonplace, we are so used to hearing it, that hardly anyone even stands up for decency anymore, for fear of being branded a "DD-lover".

Criticizing DD's lack of production is fair game, disparagingly calling him a "midget" is not. I'm sure there are actual midgets out there who are not too amused to see this crap. And before anybody trots out the fact that they like Gallagher, think about how much that sounds like "I'm not against short people, some of my best friends are midgets". :(

Do you think you could at least state that we should refrain from using that term for Desharnais, and thus discourage others from doing so as well?

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not wanting to trade Weise and Byron are mind-boggling to me. You will be able to get the same kind of players at UFA period. You have established as an organization that you can't trade and you can't do ****. The only thing you can do is draft. And you will not get draft picks because you want to keep guys you actually can get in July? Why? Oh just because you will only get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounders for them? Do we have to see guys that were gotten at that rank for us and other teams?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not wanting to trade Weise and Byron are mind-boggling to me. You will be able to get the same kind of players at UFA period. You have established as an organization that you can't trade and you can't do ****. The only thing you can do is draft. And you will not get draft picks because you want to keep guys you actually can get in July? Why? Oh just because you will only get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounders for them? Do we have to see guys that were gotten at that rank for us and other teams?

Wow, I didn't realize that jeopardizing the tank by scoring a beautiful shootout goal was going to cause a hustler like Paul Byron to attract criticism too!

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Read that on HockeyBuzz:

Dallas Stars forward Valeri Nichhushkin has been mired in a pretty deep slump --- now 19 games without a goal and, except for a two-goal game on Jan. 3, has gone without a goal in 30 of his last 31 games. From what I am hearing. the Dallas Stars are "not giving up on him at all" and realize that what he's going through is nothing unusual for a lot of young players; even many with superstar skills

Imagine if MT was the coach of Dallas. Is Lindy Ruff so bad with young players? Is he ruining Nichushkin developpment? Of course not.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That would be close to what we paid for Vanek. :amazed:
3rd and a low end prospect is more likely...

That's also what we paid for an almost done Schneider. Like it or not Weise is a special bottom 6 guy and a late 2nd only might not cut it for him. A 2nd plus something conditional to reaching the semis might not be as unrealistic as some people think.

If a team like Nashville (middle of the pack team) is interested it means top teams are out (their picks being too late in the rounds) and they'll need to add at the very least something conditional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad