D Tomáš Galvas - HC Olomouc U20, Czech U20 (2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I would be curious to have your list of my bad comments.

And to be intellectually honest, you should also keep a list where my words are good.

I think there is endlessly more good.

If I had to revise my list, I would remove Kiviharju as a 1st round player.

Usually there are 5-6 left-handed defenders in the 1st round. I see Dickinson, Silayev, Buium, Hutson for sure. Skahan and Sahlin currently at the end of the 1st round.

Galvas is a talented player but he does not have the profile of a defender selected in the 1st round. You have to have an exceptional level of play to get a selection in the 1st round when you are only 5'10 tall. Buium, Solberg and Muggli are also having a very good tournament and they have a better size.

My evaluation of 1st round players is only 75% effective on average. But if you do better, don't be embarrassed. Get out your list. It's easy to criticize but prove it that you're smarter than me. Show me your list.
I’ll stick to criticizing you. The problem isn’t that you’re wrong, it happens to everyone, me more than others. Why I feel the need to call you out is because of how much of an asshole you come across as when you give your opinions, as if they’re fact, and the gospel and you go and belittle people who try to have a discussion with you. Galvas is another on the lengthy list of guys you’re wrong about.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I’ll stick to criticizing you. The problem isn’t that you’re wrong, it happens to everyone, me more than others. Why I feel the need to call you out is because of how much of an asshole you come across as when you give your opinions, as if they’re fact, and the gospel and you go and belittle people who try to have a discussion with you. Galvas is another on the lengthy list of guys you’re wrong about.
For now, I don't see how I'm wrong. For this to happen, Round 1 NHL 2024 would have to have been completed. This is not the case.

As for your resentment against me, I don't care about your moods. You are not exemplary on this site either.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
For now, I don't see how I'm wrong. For this to happen, Round 1 NHL 2024 would have to have been completed. This is not the case.

As for your resentment against me, I don't care about your moods. You are not exemplary on this site either.
I think he goes within the first 64 selections, and after the tournament he‘s having as an underage player at the WJC, his trajectory is on an upswing.

Reactions: czech

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I think he goes within the first 64 selections, and after the tournament he‘s having as an underage player at the WJC, his trajectory is on an upswing.

2nd round is something else. I won't contradict you. I won't make a top 64 before January but it's indeed a candidate that I will consider.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
He's been great with Prcik. 2 healthy scratches and now get around 13 minutes a game on bottom pair. Prcik is bigger and meaner. Galvas is all vision and IQ.

I notice he keeps winning puck battles and has some very noticeable pinches. For a 17 year old, it's damn impressive.

I still have no clue if or where he gets drafted. But everytime I see him.. I love him! Of course, I have many misses on my projections too!

My big pisser is, that regarldess of where you think he ends up, him and Jiricek would've been insantly good at U18 in April and now Jiricek is out.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
2nd round is something else. I won't contradict you. I won't make a top 64 before January but it's indeed a candidate that I will consider.
Good, so he’s no longer the definite 5th round talent you were spewing months ago. 2nd round and late first are very close in terms of talent most years. Only reason we talk about drafts in terms of rounds is because we don’t know who’s picking where until after the Stanley cup. The 30th pick and the 45th puck are more ofthem than not similar quality of players even though on paper they‘re in different rounds, a lot of fans are very dumb when it comes to understanding this.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Good, so he’s no longer the definite 5th round talent you were spewing months ago. 2nd round and late first are very close in terms of talent most years. Only reason we talk about drafts in terms of rounds is because we don’t know who’s picking where until after the Stanley cup. The 30th pick and the 45th puck are more ofthem than not similar quality of players even though on paper they‘re in different rounds, a lot of fans are very dumb when it comes to understanding this.

I don't know where you read that I was giving him a 5th round. Perhaps you made this shortcut when I mentioned his brother.I had him 3rd-4th round at the start of the season, early 3rd round in December. I'm thinking of him for the 2nd round but there are other players.

I take into account the profile that NHL franchises usually prioritize. The discriminating factor is size. We know it's complicated for small players. It's not a question of level. But how many defenders have Galvas’ physical size in the NHL? I counted them. A dozen. And only 3-4 have an important role. NHL franchises know this.

Even Cole Hutson, in the usual lists, he appears at the end of the 1st round. A very talented player like Ty Nelson, physically stronger and right-sided, was only selected in the 3rd round. NHL franchises love defensemen 6.3 and right-handers are prioritized (another important factor).

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Quinn Hughes stood out very much among the 99 defenders. He was undoubtedly the best. There, it's difficult to say that Tomas Galvas is at the level of Dickinson, Parekh and others.

It's the same profile but not the same level. Yes he skates well but doesn't fly on the ice, yes he is skilled but he is not a genius with the stick. He will dominate on the ice at his level of competition but not in the NHL.

I'm sorry to be the dream breaker but Tomas Galvas is no more the Czech Quinn Hughes than Rodwin Dionicio is the Swiss Brent Burns.

If the site must be qualitative and informative, we must avoid this kind of hilarious remarks. A scout or a player walking around here cannot take this seriously. Even Tomas Galvas, who will probably read this message one day, will feel embarrassed.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Quinn Hughes stood out very much among the 99 defenders. He was undoubtedly the best. There, it's difficult to say that Tomas Galvas is at the level of Dickinson, Parekh and others.

It's the same profile but not the same level. Yes he skates well but doesn't fly on the ice, yes he is skilled but he is not a genius with the stick. He will dominate on the ice at his level of competition but not in the NHL.

I'm sorry to be the dream breaker but Tomas Galvas is no more the Czech Quinn Hughes than Rodwin Dionicio is the Swiss Brent Burns.

If the site must be qualitative and informative, we must avoid this kind of hilarious remarks. A scout or a player walking around here cannot take this seriously. Even Tomas Galvas, who will probably read this message one day, will feel embarrassed.
Yeah he was so great, that guys like Hayton. Kotkaniemi and Zadina were drafted before him, but nice troll. BTW who the f are Dikingson and Parekh lmao?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Yeah he was so great, that guys like Hayton. Kotkaniemi and Zadina were drafted before him, but nice troll. BTW who the f are Dikingson and Parekh lmao?
Kotkaniemi : reach on center
Hayton : reach on center
Zadina : very hyped
Hughes : "only" 7 because size. Selected as 2nd D after Dahlin

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Well, Galvas played against a lot of future NHLers today and I thought he was really good. Excellent positioning against the puck. With the puck on his stick he was confident and assertive. When Canada put on the pressure during the 2nd period and the front half of the 3rd and most of his teammates started panicking, Galvas seemed calm as a cucumber and continued to skate pucks out of trouble until he was able to pass it with high quality. I thought he was really good today and had a more than solid tournament so far as well. Too early for conclusions regarding his future but I like him as a prospect.

Rodwin Dionicio is probably less likely to hit but he could hit big. He's also more like PK Subban than Brent Burns. Burns is an excellent skater but not very physical. Dionicio is an okayish skater but will never come close to Burns. He's even more physical than Subban though. Loves to fight and hit big despite being more of a skilled, offensive minded defenseman. The only thing he has in common with Burns is the ability to fill in upfront as well.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Well, Galvas played against a lot of future NHLers today and I thought he was really good. Excellent positioning against the puck. With the puck on his stick he was confident and assertive. When Canada put on the pressure during the 2nd period and the front half of the 3rd and most of his teammates started panicking, Galvas seemed calm as a cucumber and continued to skate pucks out of trouble until he was able to pass it with high quality. I thought he was really good today and had a more than solid tournament so far as well. Too early for conclusions regarding his future but I like him as a prospect.

Rodwin Dionicio is probably less likely to hit but he could hit big. He's also more like PK Subban than Brent Burns. Burns is an excellent skater but not very physical. Dionicio is an okayish skater but will never come close to Burns. He's even more physical than Subban though. Loves to fight and hit big despite being more of a skilled, offensive minded defenseman. The only thing he has in common with Burns is the ability to fill in upfront as well.

Should we really get into debates where Tomas Galvas is compared to Quinn Hughes and Rodwin Dionicio to Brent Burns ? These comparisons only exist here from eccentric people.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Should we really get into debates where Tomas Galvas is compared to Quinn Hughes and Rodwin Dionicio to Brent Burns ? These comparisons only exist here from eccentric people.
It was you who brought them up from what I can tell.
If you prefer, we could also compare Galvas to another prospect you mentioned. I think Zane Parekh would have been completely lost in Galvas' place today.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It was you who brought them up from what I can tell.
If you prefer, we could also compare Galvas to another prospect you mentioned. I think Zane Parekh would have been completely lost in Galvas' place today.

It is not me who brought the comparison but I note it.

You are making an uchronia but if you start by giving Czech nationality to Parekh, I think that Galvas would not have played the match. It's precisely because I see Parekh on the circuit that I have a hard time seeing a chair for Galvas in the NHL.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I have a feeling that the one I'm already ignoring here to be sure, is once again putting his wisdom into the discussion:laugh:
Great performance by Galvas again.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Those are purely stylistic comparisons. Everybody does this in hockey media/fandom. No one argued that Galvas will reach the level of Quinn Huges its just a way to categorize his style of play.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Those are purely stylistic comparisons. Everybody does this in hockey media/fandom. No one argued that Galvas will reach the level of Quinn Huges its just a way to categorize his style of play.
I know where the comparison is coming from but I don’t think I’d agree with Galvas-Hughes. Can’t say I have a better comp either though.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The 2 on 1 he stopped against Canada was awesome. Him and prcik have been a godsend on third pair.

Shame he won't have jiricek at U18.. I was really looking forward to those two on the D core

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Round 1 for sure, if he is selected later, it will be a complete comedy. (not for the first time) He has literally nothing except his size, which is going against him for not being drafter round 1.

Excellent skating, hands, positioning, vision. Maybe a better shot, but still he played with men since September - looked impressive, he played with 2-3 yrs old guys (lot of future NHLres) at WJC - looked impressive. I am sure he is gonna kill the U18 WCH and literally there is no reason why he should not be drafted round 1.

And his size? He is 177cm and for example Sandin-Pellika is 180cm and was still drafted round 1, I dont think that his size should be this much of a deal. Sure Pellika is heavier, but weight is something you can relatively easily work on.

Reactions: czech

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
SP was 1 foot taller, right sided with a higher level of play in a very weak draft at the defensive position.

The elite of the European championships are made up of “small” talented defenders. Even a player like Ty Smith hasn't made it into the NHL.

With this profile, the NHL franchises expect him to be a Hughes, Fox, Makar, Krug or they won't want him. This is the trend.

This kind of profile slides through the ranks and Cole Hutson should be selected first. Beyond the final rank, what NHL perspective? So it will be all or nothing. Either Quinn Hughes or a Ryan Gunderson career.

There will be no room for him in any other role. Small defensemen don't exist outside of the elite offensive defenseman who stands out in the NHL.

So if a guy like Skahan is selected before, yes he is less strong in terms of play but compared to the needs in the NHL, his physical density allows him to find a place. And that matters a lot. Many selections are explained like this. Gulyayev is a better player than Simashev and yet...

If he is selected in the 1st round, good for him and for Czech hockey, if he makes his place in the NHL - it will be excellent news because it will mean that he will have elite status but if he is not in the 1st round, then after if he fails to take a place in the NHL - it will not be an anomaly, nor a disappointment.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad