D Tomáš Galvas - HC Olomouc U20, Czech U20 (2024 Draft)

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Younger brother of the Hawks prospect Jakub Galvas (5th round, 2017). Very skilled two-way defenseman with great skating ability both in terms of speed and agility. He's able to distribute the puck effortlessly along the offensive blue line and has the ability to beat players 1v1, amazing hands for a Dman. Loves to lead an attack on the rush with the puck on his stick. High IQ player as well with sound positional play and strong defensive stick work. I'm REALLY excited for this kid.

Here are some of his offensive plays from the 2022 U17 5 Nations tournament. Dominant performance from him.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He moves really well.

His brother was decent with his brief NHL stint this past season. Could be a 6/7D.

But looks like Tomas could have higher upside.

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Thanks for starting a thread with this player. Dominant player and with extremely good movement, high IQ and fine hands. He dominated last year, just like in the clips against the Swedes and the Finns. He is better than Jiříček in supporting the attack. Potential top 10 draft pick if he continues to develop like he has been.
As written, I am also excited about this player.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Compilation of Galvas from the 2023 Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

Despite not scoring many points, he was very involved at both ends of the rink. He was uncharacteristically responsible with the puck and didn't try to force plays. Set up a bunch of great scoring chances but they weren't converted. I was surprised how good he was defensively, especially in the 2 games against Finland and Canada - his stickwork, positional awareness and mobility gave him the edge in most 1v1 battles. If he gets a full year in Extraliga and does well, I could see him as a late 1st round pick.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Clearly not a 1st round profile, nor even a 2nd round.

It would have to be a potential top offensive defender, he is very far from it.

He doesn't look any better than his brother.

Kiviharju, Hutson, Skahan, Dickinson and Freij Top 5 LD currently (so potential Round 1).

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Compilation of Galvas from the 2023 Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

Despite not scoring many points, he was very involved at both ends of the rink. He was uncharacteristically responsible with the puck and didn't try to force plays. Set up a bunch of great scoring chances but they weren't converted. I was surprised how good he was defensively, especially in the 2 games against Finland and Canada - his stickwork, positional awareness and mobility gave him the edge in most 1v1 battles. If he gets a full year in Extraliga and does well, I could see him as a late 1st round pick.

Another good job;)
If I wrote after the preliminaries that his performance was a slight disappointment for me, now I have to state that over time his performances increased and at the end of the tournament he was perhaps our best defender (still together with Jiríček, who probably ran out of steam due to the heavy workload forces). It was a bit of a continuation from the past, he played excellently and although he created a lot of chances for his teammates, he was again poor in terms of points. At the same time, he also managed to defend well, his cleverness was shown in many situations, when he won personal fights not by strength, but by skill. For a while it looked like he would never be the good old Galvas. I am very happy for him, this is exactly what he needed.

Clearly not a 1st round profile, nor even a 2nd round.

It would have to be a potential top offensive defender, he is very far from it.

He doesn't look any better than his brother.

Kiviharju, Hutson, Skahan, Dickinson and Freij Top 5 LD currently (so potential Round 1).
:joker:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Another good job;)
If I wrote after the preliminaries that his performance was a slight disappointment for me, now I have to state that over time his performances increased and at the end of the tournament he was perhaps our best defender (still together with Jiríček, who probably ran out of steam due to the heavy workload forces). It was a bit of a continuation from the past, he played excellently and although he created a lot of chances for his teammates, he was again poor in terms of points. At the same time, he also managed to defend well, his cleverness was shown in many situations, when he won personal fights not by strength, but by skill. For a while it looked like he would never be the good old Galvas. I am very happy for him, this is exactly what he needed.

:joker:
It's me who's going to laugh during the 2024 NHL Draft.

Galvas 1st round... I'm waiting...

When he is selected in the 5th round, I will be told but no, I never said that...

In the meantime, I haven't seen anything fabulous about this tournament yet.

At some point, you have to stop being stubborn.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Just clip watching of course be he looks closer to a 1st than 5th. He’s one of those kids who just plays with a smoothness even if the finish product offensively or the physicality doesn’t pop. I think he looks like the prototypical modern defenseman in the vein of a Devon Toews where he may not have dominate physique traits or like an incredible shot but effortless four-way mobility and high IQ that let’s him contribute in the attack and defense at high levels.

Toews is a top 20 defenseman in the league so I’m not saying this kid is gonna end up there but I think any prospect that can move like this and shows some pretty high-level hockey smarts is a very, very good bet.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
It's me who's going to laugh during the 2024 NHL Draft.

Galvas 1st round... I'm waiting...

When he is selected in the 5th round, I will be told but no, I never said that...

In the meantime, I haven't seen anything fabulous about this tournament yet.

At some point, you have to stop being stubborn.
Mr. statistician in action again..? The great progress is that he may have finally seen the player play. High praise :laugh:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But with you.. You base your opinion on the self-delusion that you are able to gain more insight than others by "studying" statistics. Your insanity is evidenced by the case of Jecho (I believe not only him). I don't care where he will be drafted. I never said he would definitely be in the first round. I repeated it several times, you are such a little fanatic and you would like to credit me that it was not so. I wrote about the potential and how promising the player looks at the given time. When you're going to flaunt your guaranteed only correct opinion here again, like only me and a few other Czech fans are out of touch with reality, just look here at the draft rankings in 2024 of other users, Galvas appeared there as well, even though he was in the most important tournament last year wounded. And here you can even look at the scouts who currently have their draft rankings. Do you know what that means? This means that people who, unlike you, have the player mapped in some way see him as a potential first rounder as well. And that's absolutely enough for me. I know it's not just me. It is not a few other crazy Czech fans with such an opinion. I'm not the one who made a fool of himself here based on statistics and apparently wants to continue doing so.

Reactions: czech

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Just clip watching of course be he looks closer to a 1st than 5th. He’s one of those kids who just plays with a smoothness even if the finish product offensively or the physicality doesn’t pop. I think he looks like the prototypical modern defenseman in the vein of a Devon Toews where he may not have dominate physique traits or like an incredible shot but effortless four-way mobility and high IQ that let’s him contribute in the attack and defense at high levels.

Toews is a top 20 defenseman in the league so I’m not saying this kid is gonna end up there but I think any prospect that can move like this and shows some pretty high-level hockey smarts is a very, very good bet.
It is absolutely clear that he is currently lacking physically. That's his biggest problem. Hockey IQ, skating is perfectly fine.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Look at Mateychuk and Molendyk going first round the last two years. Neither that big or elite offensively, but great skaters with some offense and good hockey sense. Teams will pick players like that high.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
It is absolutely clear that he is currently lacking physically. That's his biggest problem. Hockey IQ, skating is perfectly fine.
I really don't understand why everyone's talking about strength/physicality with Galvas. Who cares? He's an 06 offensive defenseman. If he makes the NHL, it won't be because of physicality.

Of course he needs to get stronger, just like every other 17-year-old. And he will. But that's not the main point that will determine his fate for the NHL draft.

I actually didn't like him that much in the pre-tournament games vs Switzerland but he was very good in the actual tournament. Very excited to follow his progress this season.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I really don't understand why everyone's talking about strength/physicality with Galvas. Who cares? He's an 06 offensive defenseman. If he makes the NHL, it won't be because of physicality.

Of course he needs to get stronger, just like every other 17-year-old. And he will. But that's not the main point that will determine his fate for the NHL draft.

I actually didn't like him that much in the pre-tournament games vs Switzerland but he was very good in the actual tournament. Very excited to follow his progress this season.
I agree. And as I already wrote, his father was a very strong player, I believe that this will not be a problem for him in the future.
Yes, he played worse than I expected in the preliminaries. On the contrary, he was very good at the tournament and played better and better as time went on.

Reactions: Czechboy

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Mr. statistician in action again..? The great progress is that he may have finally seen the player play. High praise :laugh:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But with you.. You base your opinion on the self-delusion that you are able to gain more insight than others by "studying" statistics. Your insanity is evidenced by the case of Jecho (I believe not only him). I don't care where he will be drafted. I never said he would definitely be in the first round. I repeated it several times, you are such a little fanatic and you would like to credit me that it was not so. I wrote about the potential and how promising the player looks at the given time. When you're going to flaunt your guaranteed only correct opinion here again, like only me and a few other Czech fans are out of touch with reality, just look here at the draft rankings in 2024 of other users, Galvas appeared there as well, even though he was in the most important tournament last year wounded. And here you can even look at the scouts who currently have their draft rankings. Do you know what that means? This means that people who, unlike you, have the player mapped in some way see him as a potential first rounder as well. And that's absolutely enough for me. I know it's not just me. It is not a few other crazy Czech fans with such an opinion. I'm not the one who made a fool of himself here based on statistics and apparently wants to continue doing so.
Speak, provoke.

We will see the day of the draft which will have the last word.

The matches are visible on Youtube. Galvas is no better than other Czech defenders.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Speak, provoke.

We will see the day of the draft which will have the last word.

The matches are visible on Youtube. Galvas is no better than other Czech defenders.
Anyway, I'm writing, you finally saw him play. And when I gave examples of others who have a similar opinion and there are also scouts among them, I say that I am provoking:biglaugh:Well clown. You certainly won't sleep well. Enjoy it:laugh:

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Anyway, I'm writing, you finally saw him play. And when I gave examples of others who have a similar opinion and there are also scouts among them, I say that I am provoking:biglaugh:Well clown. You certainly won't sleep well. Enjoy it:laugh:
You're going to look like a fool when he gets picked low in the draft.

In 10 months, it's over. You will no longer be able to invent scouts who see the same thing as you.

It's crazy to hang on to your ego when things don't go your way.

Not selected for U18 tournament as outclassed as Adam Jiricek was, 177cm and 67kg physique at 17, left-handed rather than right-handed, struggles in Czech U20, never scores a goal, has no notable performance, not really asked for the CHL import draft... This guy will never be selected in the 1st round. You can contradict one of his facts, but all of them combined are checkmate.

It would take a metamorphosis for the situation to change.

You will say Mr.Stat because you made him a champion on a Youtube sequence without trying to understand the profile of the players selected high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad